USA Toppling Iran Government - Or Not?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Jul 21, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Sunday Herald, 18 July 2004.

"[A] US government, official, speaking on condition of anonymity" said that 'If George Bush is re-elected there will be much more intervention in the internal affairs of Iran.'" He said that this "intervention" would be conducted with the goal of "regime change."

"Regime Change In Iran Now In Bush's Sights," by Jenifer Johnston.
    http://www.sundayherald.com/print43461

But see the Financial Times (UK), 20 July 2004.

"[A] senior official said the White House had no plans to adopt a more aggressive policy aimed at 'regime change' in Iran."

"Iran Not Meddling In Iraqi Affairs, Says US," by Edward Alden and James Harding.
    http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1087373832616

2. I've a feeling the Septics may require to finalise Afganistan, concentrate on Iraq for a while, and then, maybe, they could contemplate Iran. That's not to say that i don't think Dubya wants it sorted though!!!

3. Pack your bags, if BLiar gets re-elected come next year then off we go to another lovely sandy posting :roll:

4. From The Christian Science Monitor, 22 July 2004:

"[There are] growing signs that the US Congress - even without the 9/11 reports of Iran's ties to Al Qaeda - is pressing for a tougher approach toward Tehran.

"...Iran is emerging as the new Satan for some forces in Washington. That is particularly true on Capitol Hill, where pro-Israel and anti-Iran hardliners are calling for an Iran policy advocating regime change...

"[H]opes for improvement withered as Iran made clear its intentions to pursue a nuclear-power program with proliferation implications..."

"Anti-Iran Sentiment Hardening Fast," by Howard LaFranchi.
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0722/p01s03-wome.htm

5. Hmm...anyone see a US Embassy Farce Mk 2 coming along? Women in black trying to paste together shredded material etc.... An Ayahtolla Khomeni Mk 2? Iran now is not what it was ten years ago....just leave it be, with a gentre prod now and again :evil:

6. Anonymous US government officials, apparently a large and talkative group, again weigh in on this topic.

From the Associated Press, 21 July 2004:

"WASHINGTON - The Bush administration is pressing Britain, France and Germany for strong measures against Iran in response to its violation of a nonproliferation agreement reached with the three last fall, a State Department official said Wednesday.

"The Bush administration...has been attempting to persuade all members of the U.N.'s nuclear nonproliferation agency that it is time to refer Iran's nuclear activities to the U.N. Security Council.

"John Bolton, undersecretary of state form arms control, told Congress last month that the Iranian program was a 'threat to international peace and security.' He said Iran's hard-line Islamic regime...clearly has a covert program to develop and stockpile chemical weapons and probably has an offensive biological weapons program.

"Until about a year ago, the United States maintained a low-key dialogue with Iran, then decided it was a waste of time.

"[Former Central Intelligence Agency director Robert] Gates said the U.S. military option against Iran must never be ruled out..."

"Poor Relations With Iran Turning Worse," by George Gedda.
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=540&u=/ap/20040721/ap_on_re_mi_ea/us_iran_crisis&printer=1

7. From Jang Group (Pakistan), 22 July 2004:

"JERUSALEM: Israeli intellience chiefs [said] that Iran will have a nuclear weapons capacity by 2007...

"...Iran is now regarded as Israel's number one enemy since the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq. Earlier this week, one intelligence officer accused Iran of resuming suspect nuclear activities linked to the production of enriched uranium..."

"Israel Warns Iran Will Have Nukes In 2007"
    http://jang.com.pk/the news/jul2004-daily/22-07-2004/main/main12.htm

8. a little nod and wink to the Israelite would be enough for them to fly a few covert bombers and take out the nuclear facilities , minimal casualities

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Israel has had an undeclared and illegal nuclear capability since the 1980's....ask Mordechai Vanunu,kidnapped by Mossad and held in solitary confinement for the last 20 years.....

On the day after the 900th US serviceman was killed in Iraq ( RIP), I'm glad some Americans are waking up to the fact that the pro-Israel lobby on Capitol Hill is trying to get even more US service people killed...in the interests of Ariel Sharon and his hold on power.....

Half of America's problems at ground level in Iraq have been caused by dubious intelligence provided by Mossad - and interrogation techniques coped from the Shin Bet.

WAKE UP!

War with Iran is in nobody's interest except the current Israeli government - I wouldn't even say the majority of non-Israeli jews would support such action, let alone the majority of Americans.

<< Aux armes - Les Neocons!>>

Le Chevre

10. Goatman - you hit the nil on the head, The Iraq & Iran issue is all part of a world Zionist conspiracy which uses the USA as it's enforcer.

11. Is this the BNP thread then???????????

The phrase for the Pro Israeli US lobby is the Neo-Conservatives and I agree that they are having far too much influence on US Policy

12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

I guess you're tongue is firmly in your cheek Adir...you need to mark it
    [irony mode] - pitiful attempt to label criticism of Sharon as neo-Nazi rhetoric - [/ Off irony]

I think the saddest thing is that most Sabras wouldn't want another US led war in their back garden either...got enough problems at home.

Nice try....try refuting the argument next time. Don't feckin' have a go at me about Iraq pal - where were you this time last year ? I was on my way home, somewhere off Aden.

( irony mode ON: now where's that smart black uniform that nice Mr Bimmler wanted me to try on....hang on...here somewhere...\ OFF Irony)

Le Chevre - WASP and therefore patently maniacally Right-of-Atilla - rather than <<Right On>>......prolly a Gaullist too.....Vichy scumbag....
    (okay, that's enough...Ed.)

13. It would be a hell of a long thread trying to refute your arguement/opinion, that notwithstanding, you ask where I was this time last year, just got home from the sandbox, sorry to dissapoint you!

14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

well done you, glad you made it in one piece, enjoy the colour green and necking as much beer as you can.....I expect you'll be wearing a fleece in this cool weather ?

Perhaps you'd like to explain to Not_Whistlin'_Dixie how much fun you've had in that part of the world...

Le Chevre

15. So am I, back in one piece but no thanks to the army!!

[quote="Goatman] Perhaps you'd like to explain to Not_Whistlin'_Dixie how much fun you've had in that part of the world...[/quote]

I always think it is best to experience life first hand, if he wants to know what it is like in the ME, perhaps he should go see for himself.