• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

USA as an Associate Member of the Commonwealth?

But definatley not ice cubes, agreed?
My sister was in the US a few years ago. She ordered a cup of tea with her lunch in a restaurant and they sat a glass of ice tea in front of her. She said she asked for "tea", not "ice tea", and "tea" is supposed to be hot. The waitress put the glass in the microwave for a minute or so and then sat it back down in front of her.

I think you're wasting your time if you are trying to teach Americans about tea.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think you're wasting your time if you are trying to teach Americans about tea.
They are a dab hand at chucking it in the sea then revolting against their rightful rulers. Other than that, yeah. They haven't got a Scoobie.

My sister was in the US a few years ago. She ordered a cup of tea with her lunch in a restaurant and they sat a glass of ice tea in front of her. She said she asked for "tea", not "ice tea", and "tea" is supposed to be hot. The waitress put the glass in the microwave for a minute or so and then sat it back down in front of her.

Different cultures , if you ask for tea you get sun tea. If you ask for sweet tea You get the Southern style sweet tea.

Hot tea is pretty rarely asked for....it is like two boys holding hands wrong....

Last edited:
The Yanks just cannot make a decent cup of tea. In the 30+ years I've been married to septic SWMBO she has never mastered the art despite being shown many times. The stuff she calls tea I call pi$$ water.

Different cultures , if I ask for tea you get sun tea and if I ask for for sweet I get the Southern style sweet tea. Hot tea is pretty rarely asked for....it like two boys holding hands wrong....
I have no idea what you just said. Don't bother explaining, I am probably better off not knowing.

Reading the article, it comes across as a lot of wishful thinking by Farage. A couple of US governors turning up in town during a Commonwealth knees up so the US must be thinking of becoming an associate member of the Commonwealth?

The US doesn't join anything it doesn't run for its own benefit. At the moment Trump is busy pulling them out of the clubs they are in because they're bad for America as he sees it. The Paris Accord, NAFTA, the Iran Nuclear Deal, the Trans-Pacific Partnership. So I think it unlikely he'll be signing up for the Commonwealth anytime soon.

I do love the quotes from Boris in the article though.

".....it will be, I hope, a really exciting period for the Commonwealth. It's a weirdly harmonious family. It's very positive."

Tell it to the Windrush deportees Boris.
Aww bless, the Irish don't approve.
Can you fcuknuts think of any other reason that the British and the US of A shouldnt be pals, when it doesnt involve you bog trotting fcuknuts?

Perhaps. But it's just Nigel being Nigel I think. More hot air than smoke.
Don't let your blind, anti Brexit, retarded thinking, get in the way of common sense now, Paddy.
Jesus, you'd think that you bog trotters have the upper hand over the British (the English if you want) on dealing with the Americans.

Can you fcuknuts think of any other reason that the British and the US of A shouldnt be pals, when it doesnt involve you bog trotting fcuknuts?
I think they like the EU prod up the ass. The 5 eyes countries would be a very powerful economic and military block. Hell we could also include the Japanese, and maybe the South Koreans. It would be more relevant than NATO these days.

You just have to ask for what you want in terms that are understood. "Please could I have a pot of boiling water, a teabag and a small jug of milk?".

The hard bit is people thinking that terms are the same the world over. They aren't.

I much prefer the English definition of "suspenders" than the American one though - on my wife, that is :)

Yes I know. Tea is a cold beverage to put it bluntly.
I think I am starting to understand why the Americans want to do a trade deal with us post Brexit

The civilised world that drinks it's tea hot-
UK
India
China
Australia
New Zealand etc etc
Even the Russians drink tea hot

American's drink it cold from a plastic bottle and the europeans have no idea on how to make a pot of tea

Here sits the UK, we cross the cultural divide between those who drink tea properly and the almost English speaking nations of North America

The Chinese and Indians can come to the UK in the safe knowledge that we know what to do with a teabag and the Americans can come here under the illusion they speak our language.

Neatly leaving the French and Germans where they belong, drinking coffee and speaking foreign and throwing tantrums about being left outside the consortium of tea drinking nations.

Tea (hot, made is something made of pottery) It is the mark of civilisation
Commonwealth nations understand that, the Americans can be taught but the europeans are a lost cause.

Perhaps. But it's just Nigel being Nigel I think. More hot air than smoke.
I think you need to read it again. Or even better, listen to it

What he actually said was that he couldn't see America joining the Commonwealth but he did see a lot of interest from senior American politicians in doing a lot of business with the Commonwealth on mutually favourable terms

What he actually said was that he couldn't see America joining the Commonwealth but he did see a lot of interest from senior American politicians in doing a lot of business with the Commonwealth on mutually favourable terms
I just listened to the video like you suggested, and it appears that "associate member" is something that Farage himself never says anywhere in the video. In fact he explicitly says that the US joining the Commonwealth is out of the question.

What he does say is that the US may want to associate with the Commonwealth in some way due to common interests between the English speaking countries of the world.

It would appear that the Express added two plus two and got five and the whole premise of this thread is founded on a misconception. This is why it often pays to go back to the original source material.

I'm not familiar enough with Farage to hold any particular opinion on him, so I won't speculate on what he may think on this beyond what was actually in the video clip.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Would you stop bringing facts to a perfectly fine piss-take of our Septic cousins!!!

Don't let your blind, anti Brexit, retarded thinking, get in the way of common sense now, Paddy.
Jesus, you'd think that you bog trotters have the upper hand over the British (the English if you want) on dealing with the Americans.
I don't really care about Britain leaving the EU. It has no bearing on my life. And I couldn't care less if the US joins the Commonwealth or not, I just don't see it happening.

America is nobody's pal. Not the UK's and certainly not Ireland's. America's relationship with the rest of the world is based on one of two things. How much of a threat you are to them or how much use you are to them. America "likes" the UK because when they need to spread freedom and democracy to someplace with oil reserves, Britain is usually compliant. But don't kid yourself about "special relationships" or any of that bollocks. America is not your BFF.