USA as an Associate Member of the Commonwealth?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
According to Farage the USA are making noises about joining the Commonwealth as an Associate Member.

While it would be a great way for access to US markets is this a good idea? How long before the USA are trying to run the show?

There are lots of pros and cons so let's hear your views.

Daily Express I know but it is the message not the messenger here

US to join Commonwealth? Farage drops BOMBSHELL about Brexit trade BREAKTHROUGH

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Wheel out the usual entrance requirements. Spell properly, drive on the left, etc.

Didn't they offer to let the UK join the Union of States after WW2?

If they did let them in as an Associate it would give Trump an excuse to not tax Canada, UK and good from India presumably......I don't know who, or what makes up the Commonwealth anymore.

Considering they were effectively, a Colony I think we should welcome them back into the fold with open arms.
Don't forget, the special relationship.
Plus, they love our accents and secretly think having a Queen is cool.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It allows those stuck in the past to pretend we still, sort of have an empire.

Daily Express and taking Farage at face value Yin.

Must be a slow day
Must stick in your craw Baggie!

There are lots of pros and cons so let's hear your views.
For me, the clue was in this bit.

According to Farage
I'll believe it when I see something more than a desperate need for column inches.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm with @smartascarrots on this.

Plus, as I mentioned on the Anglosphere thread, no they would lower the tone.

Any nation that considers plaid sports jackets as acceptable attire is not one you wish to be associated with

michael-cohen.jpg

I mean, look at him, he should have been arrested for that jacket alone. Marks him out as wrong un full stop

The Commonwealth is not a trade organization, so I don't really see the Brexit connection. Perhaps in future it might gain a greater focus on trade, but today it is mostly a fraternal organization.

Perhaps in future it might gain a greater focus on trade, but today it is mostly a fraternal organization.
Which traditionally doesn't include nations who fought wars to leave British rule.