(USA) 70-Year-Old Called Up for Iraq Duty

Thu Oct 21, 2004
70-Year-Old Called Up for Iraq Duty
KNTV (NBC's San Francisco Bay Area affiliate) reports that Ted Wallace of Los Gatos just received orders to report for deployment to Iraq.

The 70-year-old Wallace acknowledges that he "probably owes the army two years," but was surprised at being called up many years after he left the military. He checked the documents with his local recruiting office and they told him they were accurate and authentic. He says he is going to report to duty but hopes they don't put him on the front line. He also hopes that the army will put off his deployment until after his upcoming knee surgery.

He seemed pretty sprite, but I can see the bottom of the barrel much more clearly.
http://www.antiwar.com/blog/index.php?id=P1377

Jeez, I better find my Puttee's and Jodphurs at that rate :lol:

Well you could post that on Mil.com , seeing as so many of them say -"Hey , I'm 50 now, but I'd re-up in a heartbeat to do my part"

Post the story , they can use it as a precedent :D

As if there aint enough trouble with blue on blue incidents....now we've got some ragged old geezer on the lose.

Could Iraq get anymore dangerous?? :wink:

I like the idea ,

"Turn that goddamn stereo down , Does your Momma know you're playing with insurgents, you are grounded forever young man , Kids today , no goddamn respect , in my day etc etc etc" lol :D

Yeah , get more old geezers over there.

E

error_unknown

And the Spams are 'dry' out there, so he won't be able to get his hands on his usual fix of Sanatogen :D

Sleep soundly tonight. Your airforce is on the job

New GPMG mount.

New personnel carrier for Iraq. (Sand tyres, camouflage paint job and whicker basket at extra cost) :D :D :D

All he has to do is dig his Brown Bess out of the Hay-loft, even though it was last fired in the War against King George.. :D

Those two scoundrels accuse each other of wanting to bring back the draft.

And they are both quite correct; each of them does.

If they're going to stage the big march on Tehran, Riyadh, and Damascus, what else can they do?

Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
Those two scoundrels accuse each other of wanting to bring back the draft.

And they are both quite correct; each of them does.

If they're going to stage the big march on Tehran, Riyadh, and Damascus, what else can they do?
Draft 70 year olds? not a bad idea.

There may not be an active "draft" in the US, but registration for it is still a requirement. It needs amending though, as it excludes women.

RCSignals said:
There may not be an active "draft" in the US, but registration for it is still a requirement. It needs amending though, as it excludes women.
They'll be taking care of that on the next go-around. Women will be drafted also. I wouldn't be too amazed to see female conscripts sent into combat zones.

Our radical feminists will proclaim this as a triumph for womanhood.

I suspect that Bliar would be keen to conscript 70 year-olds as well, as a way out of the pensions disaster he and his gang have got the country into...

ViroBono said:
I suspect that Bliar would be keen to conscript 70 year-olds as well, .......................
From some of the Regimental histories I've read, it wasn't necessarily that uncommon for soldiers of around that age prior to and early WW1. (certainly not widespread though)