US weapons may be falling into Taliban hands?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Feb 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not very good management I must say.
  2. Sorry, couldn't resist it!

Attached Files:

3. americans sure like to make their own enemies dont they
    dont think afghan is challenging enough for em,
  4. Not completely surprising though.

Added to the AWOL rate amongst the ANSF, who presumably just up and take their weapons with them!
  5. Not really any different to what happens in Iraq.
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Should have just left them using AK's.
  7. How do the Taliban source ammunition? If they're all using AK47s then issue the ANA 5.56mm weapons to stop the enemy being able to use stolen weapons easily.

Or get a load of AKs, bend the barrels a bit and arrange for them to find their way into enemy hands.
  8. I doubt ammunition is a problem with the AK47 being the most popular/abundant assault rifle in the world produced in many variants by many nations who will also produce the ammunition.

It has been known that there are some naughty people in the arms trade who might sell to people they shouldn't.
  9. or if you just take a stroll around Peshawa and check out the local gunshops you will see you can have anything you want.

what planet are you on????
  10. shirly you cant be serious? :eek:
  11. there are some ANA units now with 5.56 wpns, but as dingerr has pointed out, there are always ways to sourse the ammo.
  12. I would go one further than dingerr, arms and ammo are manufactured all over the world in countries that barely make 3rd world status, eg Zimbabwe, Albania, North Korea (they can even make nuclear weapons) Pakistan and of course Afghanistan. Therefore obtaining ammo is a piece of p1ss.
  13. I watched a program the other week showing kids in Pakistan making AK's, uzis, m16 etc.

They were even making rounds of ammo from the used brass.

Were there's a will there's a way.
  14. Having read the link the US reaction reminds me of stable doors and horses.