US War Hero Gets Career-Ending Reprimand over Wanat

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Apr 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A case of "good news, bad news" I suppose. I do hope the investigation looked all through the chain of command as it seemed from the reports at the time that the situaiton at this COP was sufficiently dodgy that someone at higher ecehelons should have known better.

2. Strange mi-coordination here. Decorate a guy for bravery then reprimand him for lack of prep. What happened to pre bravery award investigation?
  3. I have no idea. May be a "left hand/right hand" issue.
  4. Well, whatever it is those responsible cant be accused of issuing medals to cover cock-ups as has happened in our forces.
  5. As I understand it that there had been a decision to close this base as it was too costly and difficult to keep open.
    This decision was never actually implemented ans sorta forgotten about, but the resources for it were already winding down.
    Then the SHTF and now higher-ups are CTAs.
    I hope that Captain Myer is able to fight this with similar resolve he showed in the battle,
    even if legal support is similarly limited, and prevail.
    For once the media can be useful in exposing the iniquity of Capt. Myer's situation.
    Good find & thanks for posting this thread JJH.
  6. Maybe his Silver Star was "discounted" from a higher tier award as a "punishment"?
  7. Alas, it would not be the first (nor will it be the last) time that has happened.
  8. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I've been trying to find a reference but can't at the moment, but I believe various officers from USS Stark (hit and nearly sunk by 2 Iraqi exocets) were awarded medals for their efforts in saving the ship after she'd been hit, but were subsequently admonished or dismissed ship for their failures prior to and during the attack.
  9. I believe some of the lower ranks got commendations for damage control efforts after the attack but the officers got career-ending punishments:

10. Bouillabaisse

I need to find Gajan's book but I'm pretty sure he got a meritous something or other a few days after the incident for his actions during the fire fighting and flood control. He was dismissed ship but stayed in the Navy (as an expert on damage control IIRC) for some time. He was in the CIC at the time of the strike but not in charge, so took some blame but not all.

He also commented on the Command taking the rap for failures of duty - according to Gajan's account the Captain tried to place the blame on his subordinates.
  11. I don't know about his book but here is the official investigation report and at the end it includes recommendations for awards-Gajan was recommended for a Purple Heart.

12. Here are the actual reports of the AR 15-6 investigation-as shown, it was a desperate fight all round.

Volume I

Volume II

Another very comprehensive investigation (some 4000 pages) at USCENTCOM under the supervision of Gen. Natonski, USMC is pending release.

13. More of the aftermath of Wanat:

14. Also this:

15. Bouillabaisse

Thanks for the link. Stored for future reference. Both Gajan and Lt Montcrief were awarded the Navy/Marine Corps Medal fairly shortly after the action, for their conduct after the missile strikes. Gajan, as mentioned, was dismissed ship and stayed in the Navy, Montcrief was lambasted for his failures and "voluntarily" resigned. So back to the OP's point, it has happened before