US vs UK basic training

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by stoatman, Nov 10, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was watching a crappy show last night called "Celebrity Bootcamp", where 4 former Marine drill instructors beast some celebrities... And I've previously watched lots of stuff about Army & RM training, Lad's Army, spoken to many who've gone through it, done some of it myself to a lesser degree in TA, etc...

And from this, I got to thinking:

1: How different are the UK & US basic training for ORs?
    3: Which works best, i.e. produces better soldiers?
    4: Do recruits really need to be broken down & built back us (USMC style), or can they simply be moulded (RM style)? Or does the level of self-motivation of the recruits make a difference in this?

The views of the resident Septics would be particularly welcome here...

2. i think it is all down to what you want as an end product, i.e troops who can use their own initiative at any level of command or those who have to be told what and how to do things.

3. First of all in the British Army we train our chaps. The yanks dont seem to bother doing this as all the ones i have worked with are well what can i say they are a load of s--t to say the least.

4. I've always found this quite bizzare - I'd say if anyone breaks people down it's deffinately RM! Their training is so much more harder than USMC, I think the moulding rather than breaking down talk is just political!

5. I personnally think the slop jockeys still have the hardest course , in both the septics , and UK army, as none of them have ever passed the course!!

6. ARE YOU A BORN DUMBARRSE OR JUST A BAD LOSER.THE KIND OF TRAINING YOU HAVE IS SUCH A JOKE THAT I HEAR THAT USMC KICKED YOUR ASSES IN COMBINED ARMS TRAINING AND INFANTRY AND SHOOTING DRILLS, SAME GOES FOR UNITS LIKETHE101ST AIRBORNE AND RANGERS THAT HAD THE PARAS BALLS FOR BREAKFAST, YOU GUYS ARE LIKE THE FRENCH IN THAT YEAH YOU SOUNDBADASSED BUT WHEN IT ALL COMES DOWN TO IT YOU AIN'T WORTH A CUP OF GOAT SH*T, OH WELL ONCE ONCE A WORTHLESS PISSANT WANNABE ALWAYS I GUESS.

7. 5 Airborne American Exchange Visits

Paratrooper to USA - Outrun / Tab to death training team, drink beer, shaft local girls, beat up local lads

USA - Aldershot - Die on their arse after 2 hills on trg area, try to trap but are beaten up by local girls before lads can get to them...

American Army....Nice Guys....but Pants

8. Also note American posters writing in capitals indicating shouting....always the loudest & fattest

9. I just like to quote an exercise the Brit booties done with the USMC,
    The exercise went on for a period of 4 weeks. Within this time the The seniors were taken out from both sides, to see how the normal bloke would perform with out leadership.

The exercise was running fairly equal until this point with the USMC winning some of the tasks , and the booties winning the others.

When the last brit NCO was told to leave the execerise he immediatley went off to the pub with the rest of the guys who had been removed and got drunk.
    The section carried on unphased by what had happened and completed all the tasks well with in the time constraints, and with out loosing a single man.

When the last USMC was told to leave the exercise he walked off, with his head down and a sullen look on his face.
    The USMC section that was left went to pieces, got lost on the map reading, and had to be pointed in the correct direction of where they were meant to attack.
    The attack failed for 2 reasons,
    1, The USMC went long over the time restraints given
    2, Due to poor planning, as each personnel of the USMC section did not know what the other was meant to be doing, hence no providing cover fire whilst movements were happening etc.... The attack made dads army look like a elite outfit.

This was the words of an american Major.

It just went to highlight the difference in training, at that time.
    Just because i am a Ex brit squaddie, i dont shout my mouth off about things i have done and think when i was in that bullets would bounce of my smock like it was a shield of steal. I Respect both the american forces and the brit forces, and yes the training is different. There is never enough training you can do, if your a brit a yank or even from any other force. But the macho bullcrap attitude thinking your invinceable i do object too.

10. Excuse spelling mistakes in the above

11. I find that our American Counterparts are only trained in resiting paras from regs and manuals but not in actually applying the techniques.

For Example : ' We were told to rip out an old radio console at my last NATO place and off went two SPAM signal lads to rip it out. It started well, they removed all loose kit and tidied any cbling away and so on. When it came to removing the hard wired (with 240V mains) frames out comes old gerber just about to cut the mains cable without disconnecting from the supply. Thank Feck I walked in when I did, Otherwise I would have missed the fireworks :lol: '

However I do have to agree with the above without SNCOs the SPAMs would fall apart comletely. All the talent in the American forces are a minority of SNCOs.

12. Absolutely amazes me how a discussion of this sort turns into a massive d**k measuring contest without a thought of comparing the actual courses or course content. Oh well......after 18 years of active service and good close range observation of both armies (US Army/USMC) and British I've concluded that both are roughly on par with each other. Both have their various strengths and weaknesses (i.e. weapons handling at one time was an obvious Brit stength but now less so) but in as much as a significant difference I'd say none exists at Bn level and below.

13. Are you having a larf??????

We used to do apwt on an indoor american range at last unit there were bullet holes all over the palce. Granted it was an american air force base but there was no air force there it was used by the army. I have also been on american, german and brit range days the american scared the shit out of me there was no control people just strated opening up on 3 roud burst and stuff. They are not save unless constantly Supervised.

Anyway, I'll get back on the fence now

14. I only have one memory of being on the ranges with the Spams, not one of my best memories I must admit as one of there N.D's hit a Lcpl in the calf! However prior to that incident I was ammused by swapping our SLR's for there M16's and of course dropping the gas setting down to 0. They were a bit miffed at the recoil and couldn't understand how we were not getting any bruising!!! :twisted: :twisted: :roll: Quite funny actually!! :lol: