US view of Major General White-Spunner?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by HarryPalmer, May 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wonder who Mr Myers' source is? :wink:

Irish Independent

2. You never know, might need to arange a parade, polish some stuff, paint some kerb stones or even break out some red coats and form square. Otherwise* about as much use as tits on a fish.

* According to the article.

3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A misleading title to this thread - I think you should change it but that's by the by.

I've been told that the US military view of the British military is that we are amateurs who drink too much and are vastly under resources with a tendency to having chips on our shoulders. They are always surprised that we usually 'turn defeat into victory' (Iraq being the exception that may or may not prove the rule)

I don't know much about General White-Spunner except that he commanded 16 Air Assault Bde so I presume that he must have been a bit of a star or he would not have got the job.

It is easy to see how the Yanks (and by our extension the journo who wrote the article) come away with thier view when they see a man like Gen W-S but I've also observed that some of the amateurs are razor sharp killing gentlemen under the shambling exterior.

I can't say that I was overly impressed with the GOC MND (SW) in BLMF in early 1997, a Guardsman who shambled around like tramp - but then again the Yanks had a cretin in the post of SACEUR at the time.

BTB Myers is greatly impressed with the academic studies undertaken by the US General and implies that W-S has not done any of that. To be a General he almost certainly did well at Staff College which is generally agreed to be at Masters level. Of course his biog probably does not drone on about it.

4. I'm surprised at that - Myers was born in the UK and usually has a hard - on for the British Army, its the first time I've ever seen him criticise them. He is pretty extreme on immigration, minorities etc so maybe this is whats fuelling this rant.

5. He hasn't had a hard on for the UK military in about 8 years, he constantly compares the US to the UK, with the latter loosing out, just read through his past articles, he seems to particulalrly dislike the RM's and thinks the USMC (which he claims to be an "honourary" member of) to be far supirior.....he has just stopped short of calling the RM's cowards more then once over the Iranian boat instances.....apperently they should have gone down fighting, as the USMC would have...... 8O

6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I'm pretty certain he didn't get to where he was by writing for a horse magazine
    You don't need to be an Airbone,Ranger to be a good commander

7. Although to be honest, most of Myers info on the General seems to come from Google.

Another POV:

Independent

8. That's strange, because I was doing VTCs from Basra to London in 2004 and I'm pretty sure that once the signal from Iraq hits the bird then it could realistically be sent anywhere, including Washington.

The rest of the article seemed like it was written by a twelve year old with very little idea about the British Army.

I'm pretty certain that you don't get to be a General by editting a horse magazine, so I assume that Gen. W-S must have something about him?

9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

From the top piece - seems to make out the HCR as a Gentlemans club with him adopting the Phillias Fogg aproach to touring Bosnia

The truth he commanded an Armoured Regiment and deployed with it a number of times

Seems as stated that this article is very pro American and hoping to make the British look like idiots

10. Pretty silly journalism, replete with childish prejudice and an a frightening shortage of real content. No evidence that Myers has ever met either McChrystal or White-Spunner: just skimmed through both their CVs and fleshed it out a bit.

Fact is - you don't get a job like Comd 16x by being ineffectual or stupid. End of chat. So what if the bloke's interested in horses? And what his wife's name has to do with anything eludes me altogether.

Shoddy stuff frankly.

11. I have a lot of time for Kevin Myers. He normally writes well and here is being his usual provocative self. I think that you will find that he is normally very pro British Army. As for your quote above, it wouldn't be difficult to criticise Royal over the Iranian boat instance. I know hindsight is great but I am still surprised that the Royals hadn't considered any conplan for the situation that they then found themselves in. Royal is normally much much better than the way that the young Captain made them appear.
    whf

12. Not even worth a response.
    My 1st wife used to ride horses and read Field, she then ran off with a millionaire farmer.
    Could I blame Gen B W-S for that?

13. Maybe I missed it in the article

How is it an Irish Journalist is going to say how we in the USA view this Officer? Myers isnt in the US Military, Government, nor a Citizen of the USA.

I think pretty much most Americans understand there are units of the British Army which have ceremonial functions as well as combat functions. We have the Old Guard and the USMC at 8th & I which do the same functions.

In My Army we would call Myers a Shite stirrer

14. Happy point taken, but lately his articles have not beed favorable to the UK military at all, from the aircraft carriers to the RM's (especially), he is provocative a lot of the time when it's needed, but he also seems to stray into out and out bullshit territory too......his "honourary" marineship being one, you either are or you are not. it seems to have been bestowed on him in a pub. :p
    his better to die fighting shite......as a civie I wouldn't dream of coming out with that kind of talk, it's cheap and not worth the paper it's printed on, it's easy to armchair general from 5000KM away in comfy Kildare.

I've written several letters to the indo about it.....never get printed though :oops: