US Vietnam Vet Killed by IED in Basra

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by The_Cheat, May 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A Vietnam War veteran killed in an Iraq roadside bombing this week has become the oldest American service member to be killed in both Iraq and Afghan combat, the Pentagon has confirmed.

Maj. Steven Hutchison -- a 60-year-old soldier from Scottsdale, Arizona -- died on Sunday in the southern Iraqi city of Basra after a bomb went off near his vehicle in the region.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/05/15/iraq.oldest.soldier.dies/index.html

2. He was killed in Iraq and Afghanistan?

3. WTF was he doing in the Army at 60 yrs old!?!?!?

4. Hard Core!!!

RIP to the Old Guard.

There were a few out on Telic with me, I thought that it would be their last hurrah in 2003. 60 years old.....

5. Could it be - soldiering?

US forces have reservists a good deal older than that on operations, and in some roles even in our own forces you can still be serving at 60. It's only 5 years over the traditional British regular forces retirement age.

6. JesustittyfuckingChrist.

There's a gentleman that clearly did not intend to go gently into that good night.

7. I mean this with the greatest respect for our man many years my senior

I some how suspect having glanced at the report that our man may have been fond of the idea of ending his days as a soldier on operations.

I certainly can't think of any other reason to be in Iraq in your sixties! Particularly after the passing of his missus.

A "Lt Dan" mentalitly maybe?

I've quite often heard senior ranks refer to this and I suppose there is no greater honour for a career soldier!

8. I fully appreciate his desire to serve his country, I was more surprised at his age. Soldiering is a young mans game and i hope i'm not doing it in 30 years time.

9. He was a photographer by all accounts.

10. Makes sense to me.

11. Just a couple of days ago there was an article in the papers here (US) about a man who joined at 61 and immediately deployed. He had prior service and is a surgeon. He had to be re-commissioned. If I recall correctly he was commissioned as either a LtCol or Col. He is heading a surgical unit.

Most of the quite senior types are the same age range. I know the Army Chief of Staff is 60.

12. Fair one - surgeons i can understand. I just had it in my head that he was a teeth arm.

13. Me too - I had brief visions of a very old infanteer for a second.

:)

14. As a Major even in an Infantry Batallion he could have secured himself a fairly REMFish job. He would have never been first man out the back of the warrior with the extra smoke now would he.

It seems clear he certainly couldn't have been sending his washing forward if he was killed by an IED.

Alot of respect for a man who didn't throw the towel in. If I reach 55 and still have any uniform thats green and fits me something has gone horribly wrong.

15. He was Teeth Arm

The Major was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 34th Armor Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division based out of Fort Riley, Kan.

He was Serving as a Mitt team leader advising the Iraqi Army, not a doctor.

We can Serve until 62 in most cases, 65 for Officers. My hootchmate in Iraq was a 59 year old Combat Engineer serving as an Infantryman due to shortages at the time of the Task Forces Forming. "Grandpa" DOM(Dirty Old Man) could outrun half the 20 year olds.

SSG. C was also a Vietnam vet (2AD 2/1CAV) and carried an M14 Rifle almost exclusively. We also had our former 1SG. (1ID 1966) Show up as a Liason NCO after we were in Baghdad. He had been relieved by the Battalion Cdr. for being too old, volunteered, and arrived with 42nd Division in Nov 2004. The Only old timer we knew who wasnt able to go was SFC. Pappy (3 tours Vietnam- 1st as a Navy Seabee, 2 as Army Infantry. Also Vet of Grenada, Panama, GW1, Somalia). He was 63 they retired him and he immediately tried to join a Reserve USN CB outfit and claim he was younger.

Right now I know of a CWO5 who is a Blackhawk Pilot who was downed 5 times in Vietnam flying Medevac and has the DFC w/ OLC, he's at Balad flying Medevac again.