US Vietnam Vet Killed by IED in Basra

#1
A Vietnam War veteran killed in an Iraq roadside bombing this week has become the oldest American service member to be killed in both Iraq and Afghan combat, the Pentagon has confirmed.

Maj. Steven Hutchison -- a 60-year-old soldier from Scottsdale, Arizona -- died on Sunday in the southern Iraqi city of Basra after a bomb went off near his vehicle in the region.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/05/15/iraq.oldest.soldier.dies/index.html
 
#3
WTF was he doing in the Army at 60 yrs old!?!?!?
 
#4
Fallschirmjager said:
The_Cheat said:
A Vietnam War veteran killed in an Iraq roadside bombing this week has become the oldest American service member to be killed in both Iraq and Afghan combat,
He was killed in Iraq and Afghanistan?
Hard Core!!!

RIP to the Old Guard.

There were a few out on Telic with me, I thought that it would be their last hurrah in 2003. 60 years old.....
 
#5
box-of-frogs said:
WTF was he doing in the Army at 60 yrs old!?!?!?
Could it be - soldiering?

US forces have reservists a good deal older than that on operations, and in some roles even in our own forces you can still be serving at 60. It's only 5 years over the traditional British regular forces retirement age.
 
#6
box-of-frogs said:
WTF was he doing in the Army at 60 yrs old!?!?!?
Hutchison wanted to serve again after the September 11, 2001, attack on the United States, but his wife opposed that.

His wife died of breast cancer in 2006 and Hutchison was "devastated," his brother Richard Hutchison told KNXV.

Steve Hutchison jogged, got into great physical shape and returned to Army active duty at age 59 in Afghanistan and then Iraq.
JesustittyfuckingChrist.

There's a gentleman that clearly did not intend to go gently into that good night.
 
#7
I mean this with the greatest respect for our man many years my senior

I some how suspect having glanced at the report that our man may have been fond of the idea of ending his days as a soldier on operations.

I certainly can't think of any other reason to be in Iraq in your sixties! Particularly after the passing of his missus.

A "Lt Dan" mentalitly maybe?

I've quite often heard senior ranks refer to this and I suppose there is no greater honour for a career soldier!
 
#8
I fully appreciate his desire to serve his country, I was more surprised at his age. Soldiering is a young mans game and i hope i'm not doing it in 30 years time.
 
#11
box-of-frogs said:
WTF was he doing in the Army at 60 yrs old!?!?!?
Just a couple of days ago there was an article in the papers here (US) about a man who joined at 61 and immediately deployed. He had prior service and is a surgeon. He had to be re-commissioned. If I recall correctly he was commissioned as either a LtCol or Col. He is heading a surgical unit.

Most of the quite senior types are the same age range. I know the Army Chief of Staff is 60.
 
#12
DavidBOC said:
box-of-frogs said:
WTF was he doing in the Army at 60 yrs old!?!?!?
Just a couple of days ago there was an article in the papers here (US) about a man who joined at 61 and immediately deployed. He had prior service and is a surgeon. He had to be re-commissioned. If I recall correctly he was commissioned as either a LtCol or Col. He is heading a surgical unit.

Most of the quite senior types are the same age range. I know the Army Chief of Staff is 60.
Fair one - surgeons i can understand. I just had it in my head that he was a teeth arm.
 
#13
box-of-frogs said:
DavidBOC said:
box-of-frogs said:
WTF was he doing in the Army at 60 yrs old!?!?!?
Just a couple of days ago there was an article in the papers here (US) about a man who joined at 61 and immediately deployed. He had prior service and is a surgeon. He had to be re-commissioned. If I recall correctly he was commissioned as either a LtCol or Col. He is heading a surgical unit.

Most of the quite senior types are the same age range. I know the Army Chief of Staff is 60.
Fair one - surgeons i can understand. I just had it in my head that he was a teeth arm.
Me too - I had brief visions of a very old infanteer for a second.

:)
 
#14
As a Major even in an Infantry Batallion he could have secured himself a fairly REMFish job. He would have never been first man out the back of the warrior with the extra smoke now would he.

It seems clear he certainly couldn't have been sending his washing forward if he was killed by an IED.

Alot of respect for a man who didn't throw the towel in. If I reach 55 and still have any uniform thats green and fits me something has gone horribly wrong.
 
#15
He was Teeth Arm

The Major was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 34th Armor Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division based out of Fort Riley, Kan.

He was Serving as a Mitt team leader advising the Iraqi Army, not a doctor.

We can Serve until 62 in most cases, 65 for Officers. My hootchmate in Iraq was a 59 year old Combat Engineer serving as an Infantryman due to shortages at the time of the Task Forces Forming. "Grandpa" DOM(Dirty Old Man) could outrun half the 20 year olds.

SSG. C was also a Vietnam vet (2AD 2/1CAV) and carried an M14 Rifle almost exclusively. We also had our former 1SG. (1ID 1966) Show up as a Liason NCO after we were in Baghdad. He had been relieved by the Battalion Cdr. for being too old, volunteered, and arrived with 42nd Division in Nov 2004. The Only old timer we knew who wasnt able to go was SFC. Pappy (3 tours Vietnam- 1st as a Navy Seabee, 2 as Army Infantry. Also Vet of Grenada, Panama, GW1, Somalia). He was 63 they retired him and he immediately tried to join a Reserve USN CB outfit and claim he was younger.

Right now I know of a CWO5 who is a Blackhawk Pilot who was downed 5 times in Vietnam flying Medevac and has the DFC w/ OLC, he's at Balad flying Medevac again.
 

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
#16
RIP your mates, but when someone tells me they are a Grenada Vet, I just want to laugh.
 
#17
Goldbricker said:
He was Teeth Arm

The Major was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 34th Armor Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division based out of Fort Riley, Kan.

He was Serving as a Mitt team leader advising the Iraqi Army, not a doctor.

We can Serve until 62 in most cases, 65 for Officers. My hootchmate in Iraq was a 59 year old Combat Engineer serving as an Infantryman due to shortages at the time of the Task Forces Forming. "Grandpa" DOM(Dirty Old Man) could outrun half the 20 year olds.

SSG. C was also a Vietnam vet (2AD 2/1CAV) and carried an M14 Rifle almost exclusively. We also had our former 1SG. (1ID 1966) Show up as a Liason NCO after we were in Baghdad. He had been relieved by the Battalion Cdr. for being too old, volunteered, and arrived with 42nd Division in Nov 2004. The Only old timer we knew who wasnt able to go was SFC. Pappy (3 tours Vietnam- 1st as a Navy Seabee, 2 as Army Infantry. Also Vet of Grenada, Panama, GW1, Somalia). He was 63 they retired him and he immediately tried to join a Reserve USN CB outfit and claim he was younger.

Right now I know of a CWO5 who is a Blackhawk Pilot who was downed 5 times in Vietnam flying Medevac and has the DFC w/ OLC, he's at Balad flying Medevac again.
Some characters there! Thank you.
 
#18
Pararegtom said:
RIP your mates, but when someone tells me they are a Grenada Vet, I just want to laugh.
I'm sure you do

However, it was a combat deployment much as Suez was. And there were almost equal amounts of casualties for both my forces and yours, but I dont try to disparage your comrades at every turn.
 
#20
Fallschirmjager said:
The_Cheat said:
A Vietnam War veteran killed in an Iraq roadside bombing this week has become the oldest American service member to be killed in both Iraq and Afghan combat,
He was killed in Iraq and Afghanistan?
Blame CNN, not me! I would have added some punctuation in there...

But still, fair play for a bus pass holder!

T C
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top