US using Airmen as Soldiers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by One_of_the_strange, Oct 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I cam across the following story about the US redeploying airmen on the ground in Iraq and it made me wonder - should we do the same ?

http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/5662062.html

"the Pentagon has begun deploying thousands of Air Force personnel to combat zones in new jobs as interrogators, prison sentries and gunners on supply trucks"

Just think, we could use the RAFP as prison guards (dooooor ... open!" - makes a change from barriers I suppose) and get those irritating PS2 obsessed geeks that infest the int branch into an FHT and make them see some sunlight. Who on earth would you put on gun trucks though ? The RAF Regiment would get a nosebleed moving more then 200m away from the perimeter fence and I don't know that I'd trust the average techy with a GPMG.

Banter aside, is this the way forward to meet our shortfall in the infantry ?

2. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

It already happened on Telic 1 with the RAFP, both street patrol duties and SIB.

3. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

UPI's version on the same subject has an interesting turn of phrase:

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The RAF Regt also carried out patrols, just as they did in NI.

5. 'Kin brilliant, Cuts! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Article clearly written by an ex squaddie on a dare.

6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I've been wondering about this statement: "several thousand sailors are performing what the service calls "non-traditional" roles to free up Army personnel".

What is against the traditions of the navy ?
    What quality of performance can the army pers expect to receive ?

Any ideas ?

7. I'm not sure, but it probably involves baby oil, black pvc shorts and a Hereford moustache.

Was rather concerned about AF personnel 'filling holes' in the army. Would never happen here. Even with the Celestial Navigator allowing that type of thing these days, I couldn't ever imagine an infantryman being willing to play "mummy" to a crab duvet consultant's "daddy".

8. RAF personnel have been used as convoy drivers/gunners for a while now. A friend of mine did Dogwood et al last year (I think), and he's only a stacker!

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Easy - defeat . 8)

The Royal Navy has " A tradition of Victory " - which is why you aren't posting in French, in this bi-centennial year of the Battle of Trafalgar........

to The Immortal Memory....

Lee Shaver

10. RN has a long and proud tradition of fighting on land in 'non traditional roles' Boer war springs to mind as does the RN division of WWI

11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Goatman & Cdo_gunner, please stop trying to drag this thread out of the gutter !

12. Quote:"and get those irritating PS2 obsessed geeks that infest the int branch into an FHT and make them see some sunlight."

It's only fair to point out that a good proportion of FHT Interpreters are in fact RAF, in fact the majority of RAF Arabic linguists who I've taught have done a stint with an FHT, along with the odd matelot thrown in. Can't argue about the PS2 bit though!

13. Absolutely. We could use the RAF for mine clearance and frontal attacks (with apologies to another, as yet unidentified, Arrser for poaching his idea).