US Troop tours extended - Brits next Swiss?

here
New York Times Editorial
Tell the Troops

Published: January 19, 2007

It is bad enough for troops in Iraq to learn that their tours of duty have been extended. It is terrible for them to have to hear about it from loved ones at home rather than from their military commanders.

This is what happened to about 150 New Jersey National Guard troops who had been scheduled to return home in March after having served in Iraq for a year. Their tours of duty were extended for up to 125 days as a result of President Bush’s decision to send more than 20,000 additional troops to Iraq.

A day after Mr. Bush announced the troop increase in a televised speech, the National Guard in New Jersey told family members that their relatives would have to stay on. The news quickly made it back to the troops in Iraq through anguished phone calls and e-mail.

Not until Sunday — four days after Mr. Bush’s speech — were the troops notified by their Army commanders, after Gov. Jon Corzine of New Jersey made two phone calls to Army officials.

Mr. Corzine, who had learned of the lapse from outraged family members, said that Pentagon officials expressed regret and blamed the delay on a “breakdown in the chain of command on the ground in Iraq.” The governor rightly called what happened “unacceptable.”

But given all that has gone wrong with the misguided American adventure in Iraq, the foul-up is hardly surprising. It’s one more sensitive issue that has been insensitively and unfairly mishandled.

untallguy

Old-Salt
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Rendered speechless, utterly speechless

THe same happened in 2004 when 4th (US) Armd Div were going home. Bush decided that he needed to surge more troops in so kept 4AD back for a further 4 months. Their armour was already at sea and got turned round. Was talking to a soldier in Baghdad from 4AD about his tour and he was getting a post to the next Div to come out so was facing another 12 moth tour just after his current 16 month one.

Civillians won't understand this. Unless you've been on tour, counting down the days with growing excitement and finally arriving there with a feeling of overwhelming relief - That it's over, that you're not going to lose anyone else, that you're still in one piece - Then you simply won't be able to grasp how completely and totally devestating this is.

This news will completely destroy the morale of those lads.

What makes it worse is that this isn't WW2 and the cause of it is nothing more than atrocious planning on the part of the US government.

I wouldn't blame them one bit if they put down their weapons and refused to soldier. I fcuking would.

Dogface said:
RFUK said:
Civillians won't understand this. Unless you've been on tour, counting down the days with growing excitement and finally arriving there with a feeling of overwhelming relief - That it's over, that you're not going to lose anyone else, that you're still in one piece - Then you simply won't be able to grasp how completely and totally devestating this is.

That's why redeployment dates should close hold info.
MODs - Can't we fuck this lunatic off?

Dogface said:
RFUK said:
Dogface said:
RFUK said:

That's why redeployment dates should close hold info.
MODs - Can't we fuck this lunatic off?

I take, then, you think redeployment dates in a time of war should be published and known prior to deployment?

Odd that you have difficulty with one who served in, and deployed with, the U.S. Army commenting on U.S. Army tour extensions? Does it bother you equally that those without experience deploying while assigned in the U.S. Army make comments regarding U.S. Army tour extensions?
Agreed RFUK; Dogface - O2 Thief is a well deserved attachment to your nickname. Many of us have served alongside US (and other nations') troops on active service
The point is this:
A day after Mr. Bush announced the troop increase in a televised speech, the National Guard in New Jersey told family members that their relatives would have to stay on. The news quickly made it back to the troops in Iraq through anguished phone calls and e-mail. [p][/p]

... Not until Sunday — four days after Mr. Bush’s speech — were the troops notified by their Army commanders
edited for spelling ...

I'd go fecking ballistic if they did that to me. Doing a 12 month tour is bad enough but having your return date moved is crushing.

A doubt the lads will down tools, most of the Yanks I met are far to professional, but I can't see them staying in the Guard for very long after they get back. More recruiting vs retention trouble ahead.

Please don't tell Swiss, he'll think its a great idea.

Absoute spot-on post, RFUK!

What a fückin' disgraceful way to run a campaign. So much for Babbeo Bush "caring for the troops".

MsG

PS. "Dogshite goes on and on about how he's served, but he's never actually proved it and from his bone posts it's highly likely that he's a civvie.

Double post again. My apologies. Why does this keep happening to me?

MsG

That is pure sh1te that is. Fancy hearing from your own family first. My heart goes out to them.

Fcuking cnuts!

A 12 month tour is bad enough, unless it actually achieves a sensible tour interval! However to be told of an increase by your family would just be soul destroying.

As for Dogface's comments about increasing tour lengths in time of WAR he needs to get a grip. This is not the 1st or 2nd World War, both the UK and the US are not fighting a war of national survival. Soldiers still have lives outside of the Army and end of tour dates cannot be kept as closely held information. You need to deploy knowing that you will be redeployed in 6/12 months time otherwise there is nothing to look forwards to.

\"Dogface\" said:
You think not? This war, of which Iraq and Afghanistan are but parts, IS for the survival of the west. It has JUST started, and we haven\'t seen anything yet.
Is that the war on terror??

Tell me, how is the War on Drugs going....?

T C

Dogface said:
Horridlittleman said:
A 12 month tour is bad enough, unless it actually achieves a sensible tour interval! However to be told of an increase by your family would just be soul destroying.

As for Dogface's comments about increasing tour lengths in time of WAR he needs to get a grip. This is not the 1st or 2nd World War, both the UK and the US are not fighting a war of national survival.
You think not? This war, of which Iraq and Afghanistan are but parts, IS for the survival of the west. It has JUST started, and we haven't seen anything yet.
What a fcuking moron. What planet does this idiot live on? :shakefist:

Dogface said:
Horridlittleman said:

As for Dogface's comments about increasing tour lengths in time of WAR he needs to get a grip. This is not the 1st or 2nd World War, both the UK and the US are not fighting a war of national survival.
You think not? This war, of which Iraq and Afghanistan are but parts, IS for the survival of the west. It has JUST started, and we haven't seen anything yet.
Mr Dogface-oxygenthief
I see you do not agree with your ex-President Teddy then!Survival of the WEST ,are you a cowboy ,you won the west when you killed all them red Indians and stole their land.Yours is a battle for oil not for freedom.

Ord_Sgt said:
Dogface said:
Horridlittleman said:

What a fcuking moron. What planet does this idiot live on? :shakefist:
It is not a war of survival. Dogface if you truly believe that you are sorely mistaken, the only reason we are still in Iraq is because US/UK foreign policy is messed up beyond belief and no-one thought an insurgency would happen! I don't see any Iraqi insurgents blowing themselves up in the UK! When you state it has just started and we haven't seen anything yet I would like to know where you get this information from.

Dogs dick If its such a gallant cause for the wests survival why aren't you out there doing your bit? You can help relieve another soldier who wants to get home to his family. You being a top ex soldier and all that.

Sorry to point this out guys, but it would save a lot of wasted time and effort if we took heed to his avatar.

If we stop responding to the wasting cnuts ignorant bleating, perhaps he mught get bored and fcuk off.

Dogface said:
Horridlittleman said:
It is not a war of survival. Dogface if you truly believe that you are sorely mistaken, the only reason we are still in Iraq is because US/UK foreign policy is messed up beyond belief and no-one thought an insurgency would happen! I don't see any Iraqi insurgents blowing themselves up in the UK! When you state it has just started and we haven't seen anything yet I would like to know where you get this information from.

No, you just see Paki jihadist blowing themselves up in the UK, and jihadists from all over pushing for Sharia law. The jihadists quest for domination of the west isn't separate and distinct. Like I said, we haven't seen anything yet. The next ten years ought to prove some of the most interesting times in all of recorded history.
Yes they are separate. The Iraqi insurgency is because a bunch of lunatics don't like what they see as an illegal occupation of their country. Like I said I haven't seen Iraqi insugents blowing themselves up in the UK.

Anyway you are dragging a topic way off course. This is to do with a monumental fcuk up where troops get extended and told by their families instead of the chain of command. I certainly hope that somebody (or people) are having some extremely unpleasant interviews without coffee! Not that that will make up for the pain and anguish or feelings of betrayal the troops on the ground or their families will be suffering.

Latest Threads