US Training Muslims Who Vow to Use Against Israel

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Oct 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I suppose we septics should not be too critical of the recent revelations of UK SF training Libyans. Here is another great example of "unintended consequences" that any idiot could have foreseen.

2. For an overview on the USSC mission:
    Report to Congress which gives a very mixed review of the US and EU efforts...

3. Absolutely. Anyone who has toured the West Bank would know that the overwhelming opinion is that the Jews should be driven into the sea. So why train them to do so? Its asking for another generation of conflict, if you ask me.

4. Indeed.

5. I'd not dispute that. But I think you'll find even harder line attitudes amongst the populations of the Gulf Kingships, Egypt and recently Iraq. Surprisingly Pals poll as much less hostile to Israel than most of the Arab Street.

We exchange massive amounts of military aid with these countries. They buy our arms. Rabidly anti-Semitic Saudi is the single biggest customers for our very lucrative weapons systems.

We also have long relationships with their armed services, the UK being particularly intimate with Jordon, which fought rather well against Israel under British officers.

That the despotic rulers of some of these countries have made peace with Israel isn't actually a great guarantee that they'll never be an aggressor. Egypt could fall to the Islamic Brotherhood anytime and Hamas is just their Mini-me.

Beside this training a few Hamas hating Pals pales into insignificance. If you look at recent data on who they've been killing its mostly other Pals. So fom an Israeli perspective what's not to like?

6. I realize many of the posters on here don't put much stock in such things, but as a Christian (before the slagging starts an to save you some time, I am not of the snake-handling "redneck," Crusades or Inquisition persuasions), I am continually reminded that these differences are literally of Biblical proportions.

7. So the US are training muslim terrorists who are going to use the training against Israel. You couldn't make it up.

8. It is a bit of "Alice in Wonderland" and would be laughable if it weren't so serious.

9. And so Israel still has an active enemy to fight,the 'Hawks' stay in power (as they alone know how to keep the country safe)Israel goes on buying American weapons to maintain safety and fight the enemy,and so on ad nauseum.

10. Absolutely. Anyone who has toured the West Bank would know that the overwhelming opinion is that the Jews should be driven into the sea. So why train them to do so? Its asking for another generation of conflict, if you ask me.

11. I'm reminded of Exodus 1

12. Good one--many others of course that make the point that in spite of "gains" from time to time in peaceful resolution of their many differences (usually to gain some perceived advantage with the "West") their default position will be enmity between the Jew and the Muslim.

13. I am not vouching for the author--merely using the article to make the point about the US training. I have also posted articles on other threads to make particular points that were authored by people for whom I have no personal respect but every now and then even a scumbag (of any political persuasion) can report something worth noting.

I think some of the issues now confronting us (the collective "us") are of sufficient moment that they need to be viewed beyond the lens of partisanship.

14. Gee an article from worldnutdaily and by Aaron Kline, rock solid. And by rock solid I mean chock full of half-truths to manipulate semi-literate drooling idiots. I often wonder if they mock their own readers in private.

Here is in Lt Gen Keith Dayton own words what he has been tasked to do first by the Bush Admin and re-appointed by the Obama Admin [It took me less than 40 seconds to find it. Pity Aaron Kline and worldnutdaily don't have access to Google]:

[His full speech at http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/templateC07.php?CID=456]

On May 7, 2009, Lt. Gen. Keith Dayton delivered the Michael Stein Address on U.S. Middle East Policy at The Washington Institute's 2009 Soref Symposium. General Dayton currently serves as U.S. security coordinator for Israel and the Palestinian Authority, a position he has held since 2005. He recently accepted his appointment to the post for another two-year term.

Although the body I was appointed to head is called the "U.S. Security Coordinator's Team" (USSC), it is truly an international effort. Our ongoing work in the Israeli-Palestinian arena is shaped by significant contributions from Canada, the United Kingdom, and Turkey. More important, all of us believe that the resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is in the best interests of all nations, and we are working toward that goal through security measures. We have become steeped in the context and dynamics of the conflict through daily interaction on the ground, which has helped us understand the situation from all perspectives and adjust the mission accordingly.

The USSC was created in March 2005 as way of helping the Palestinians reform their security services. It was tasked with establishing a body that could coordinate various international donors under one plan of action and mobilize resources, while at the same time allaying Israeli fears about the nature and capabilities of the Palestinian Authority Security Forces (PASF). Its mission also includes advising the PA on right-sizing its forces, restructuring and training these forces so that they can enforce the rule of law, and making them accountable to the government and the people.

The USSC was given permission to engage all parties except terrorists. Therefore, the team works with Palestinians and Israelis daily, makes frequent visits to Jordan and Egypt, and has reached out to the Gulf states as well. It also coordinates its efforts with other regional missions that focus on the Arab-Israeli conflict, such as the Quartet special representative, the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, and various UN initiatives.

When Hamas won the Palestinian Legislative Council elections in January 2006 -- soon after I assumed the title of coordinator in late 2005 -- the USSC's mission shifted overnight. We had to refocus on coordinating international activity to boost Gaza's economy, with efforts centered at the border crossings. Meanwhile, the PASF suffered from neglect under Hamas, which developed its own security forces with help from Syria and Iran. In June 2007, the USSC's mission changed again when Hamas launched a successful coup against the legitimate Palestinian authorities in Gaza. It changed a third time with the appointment of Prime Minister Salam Fayad, after which the team began to concentrate on the West Bank.

The results of the USSC security partnership with the PA, Jordan, and Israel have exceeded the most optimistic expectations. Over the past year-and-a-half, the Palestinians have engaged in a series of security offensives throughout the West Bank. In coordination with the IDF, the battalions have sustained the rule of law and have begun to reestablish the PA's authority. More specifically, these campaigns have clamped down on armed gangs, dismantled illegal militias, countered Hamas activity, and reinforced safety and security for Palestinian citizens.

Of course, no security challenge in the West Bank has come close to that of maintaining law and order during Israel's recent Operation Cast Lead in Gaza. Some predicted the operation would spark a third intifada in the West Bank, but the "days of rage" called for by Hamas failed to materialize. The professionalism and competence of the new security forces guaranteed a measured and disciplined approach. They allowed demonstrations but prevented them from becoming violent, keeping the protestors away from Israelis. For their part, Israeli forces trusted the PASF and deliberately kept a low profile, staying away from demonstrators and coordinating their activities with their Palestinian counterparts. The IDF even felt comfortable enough to deploy major units away from the West Bank in order to help in Gaza. Throughout this period, the lack of support for Hamas was clear, as most Palestinians seemed to blame the group for bringing chaos to Gaza. As such, the demonstrations against the Gaza operation, while widespread, remained under control and peaceful.

It is difficult to say whether peace can truly be achieved through security measures, and all parties involved have a long way to go and many formidable challenges to overcome. Serious work needs to be done with regard to terrorism, and the USSC is actively exploring options on this issue with the Palestinians, Israelis, and Jordanians. There is also critical work ahead on managing borders and crossings. Moreover, Gaza and the armed Hamas cadres therein present major challenges to future Palestinian statehood. The situation is not hopeless, however. The USSC's continuous presence is beginning to pay off, building new facts on the ground and developing genuine partnerships. The road to peace is a very difficult one, but compared to past years, we are on that road and are moving forward.