US to use big bombs against Iran?

#2
From the Times
So what lies somewhere between Iraq and Afghanistan that might demand the urgent deployment of a stealth aircraft that can quietly drop a 30,000lb bomb and destroy something several storeys below ground? The secret wine cellars in Tehran that house the illicit stash of vintage clarets belonging to the Iranian President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad? The vast collection of grey polyester suits and Iranian goody bags that lie in wait for the next batch of luckless British sailors?


Isn't the reason for using the stealth bomber something to do with the altitude it can gain to allow a MOP to be able to penetrate the ground and reach the desired depth and not its ability to hide from radar?

I could be utterly wrong on this.
 
#3
theoriginalphantom said:
Isn't the reason for using the stealth bomber something to do with the altitude it can gain to allow a MOP to be able to penetrate the ground and reach the desired depth and not its ability to hide from radar?

I could be utterly wrong on this.
Sounds feasible. I heard that these Big Blu bombs could be carried by B52s, though only one at a time. Obviously a B2 can fly at a higher altitude than a B52. Plus, aren't Iranian air defences supposed to be effective, thus the B2 sounds like the right recipe for 'success'.

God help us if the monkey from Texas drags the world into a war with Iran.
 
#4
From the same piece:

"the State Department are tiring of pushing the rock of diplomatic futility up the slopes of Russian intransigence".

I just love that phrase.

TB
 
#5
Just because they are asking for money for such weapons to be used with Stealth aircraft doesn't mean its anything to do with Iran.
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#6
hong_kong_fuey said:
theoriginalphantom said:
Isn't the reason for using the stealth bomber something to do with the altitude it can gain to allow a MOP to be able to penetrate the ground and reach the desired depth and not its ability to hide from radar?

I could be utterly wrong on this.
Sounds feasible. I heard that these Big Blu bombs could be carried by B52s, though only one at a time. Obviously a B2 can fly at a higher altitude than a B52. Plus, aren't Iranian air defences supposed to be effective, thus the B2 sounds like the right recipe for 'success'.

God help us if the monkey from Texas drags the world into a war with Iran.
Why God help us?

Iran in no more of a military threat to the west than Iraq was in GW1, albeit their air defenses and general hardware are more modern, but then, so is the hardware of the west.

A war with Iran won't include taking and holding much ground if any, it'll merely be to knock them back to using bows, arrows and camels to take us on with.

Unlike Iran, we felt a need to occupy Iraq and Afghanistan due to 'regime change' issues. Bombing Iran flat has no such objectives, it would only be to remove their military and nuclear capacity.

What would Iran do in return? Not a great deal apart from some more terrorism, and maybe, outside chance, they'd roll their remaining hardware across the border into Iraq, where it would be comprehensively smashed.

On the naval front - wouldn't it be nice to sink some Iranian ships too?
 
#7
When I stated yesterday on the MoD to lay off 1000 thread that Big Blue was making puppy eye's at us and patting the space under the duvet, I wasn't refering to this 30,000 lb bitch ;)
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#8
In-Limbo said:
When I stated yesterday on the MoD to lay off 1000 thread that Big Blue was making puppy eye's at us and patting the space under the duvet, I wasn't refering to this 30,000 lb bitch ;)
Yeah, nobody wants to get fcuked by a 30,000lb porker (can I say 'porker' considering it's Iran?)
 
#9
Much cheaper to replace the nuclear warheads in their Trident ballistic missiles with kinetic energy weapons. Three tons of concrete landing at 10,000 mph having fallen from the edge of space will do a lot more damage than anything a plane could drop.

Hopefully, Dubya will remember to phone the Russians before giving the launch order. Otherwise, we might find ourselves in a remake of Dr Strangelove.
 
#11
I wonder if those fat sailors will get their iPods back?
 
#12
Yea till the Iranians cut off their oil (to the West - USA has banned oil imports from Iran since 1979) and then let their Iraqi mates take out the Iraq oil fields. Fire a few missiles into the Saudi fields and refinaries and ...

No spare capacity in the World .

Then the money makers start betting on oil futures and oil shoots up to $150 - $200 a barrel. West and East economy melts down and its the depression again but with a few million chinkies and Indians wanting their food as well.

The shaved monkey is not that stupid ? is he?
 
#13
old_bloke said:
Yea till the Iranians cut off their oil (to the West - USA has banned oil imports from Iran since 1979) and then let their Iraqi mates take out the Iraq oil fields. Fire a few missiles into the Saudi fields and refinaries and ...

No spare capacity in the World .

Then the money makers start betting on oil futures and oil shoots up to $150 - $200 a barrel. West and East economy melts down and its the depression again but with a few million chinkies and Indians wanting their food as well.

The shaved monkey is not that stupid ? is he?
Do you really believe that?

Unfortunately I think that both he and his administration feel this is a realistic course of action.
 
#14
Have we got the capacity to get involved in this, Fatty Mc Broooon seems to be taking up the job of Dubya's poodle from Bliar?
 
#15
Unlikely, that level of action against the world economy would surely give the USA diplomatic carte blanche to do what the hell they liked to sort Iran out.

Besides, they'd need to sell their oil to us to get money to rebuild.

TB
 
#17
Biped said:
Why God help us?

Iran in no more of a military threat to the west than Iraq was in GW1, albeit their air defenses and general hardware are more modern, but then, so is the hardware of the west.

A war with Iran won't include taking and holding much ground if any, it'll merely be to knock them back to using bows, arrows and camels to take us on with.

Unlike Iran, we felt a need to occupy Iraq and Afghanistan due to 'regime change' issues. Bombing Iran flat has no such objectives, it would only be to remove their military and nuclear capacity.

What would Iran do in return? Not a great deal apart from some more terrorism, and maybe, outside chance, they'd roll their remaining hardware across the border into Iraq, where it would be comprehensively smashed.

On the naval front - wouldn't it be nice to sink some Iranian ships too?
How about Iran mining the Straits of Homuz and, therefore, limiting the world supply of oil, which would lead to steep increases in the price of a barrel of crude? This would be the last straw for an ailing global economy and would lead to economic recession/depression. Or, as you say, Biped, "more terrorism"? Is that not really a bad thing? What about Iranian ex-pats living in the UK? Could we guarantee they would remain peaceful in the event of a war with Iran? And the resentment of the wider Muslim population? And what about our service personnel in Basra? Wouldn't they be under threat? How about if the war created an even greater schism between the West and Russia and China? Would that be a good thing? What if China and Russia had to eventually choose to take sides. Is it a given that they would side with us?
 
#18
hong_kong_fuey said:
Biped said:
Why God help us?

Iran in no more of a military threat to the west than Iraq was in GW1, albeit their air defenses and general hardware are more modern, but then, so is the hardware of the west.

A war with Iran won't include taking and holding much ground if any, it'll merely be to knock them back to using bows, arrows and camels to take us on with.

Unlike Iran, we felt a need to occupy Iraq and Afghanistan due to 'regime change' issues. Bombing Iran flat has no such objectives, it would only be to remove their military and nuclear capacity.

What would Iran do in return? Not a great deal apart from some more terrorism, and maybe, outside chance, they'd roll their remaining hardware across the border into Iraq, where it would be comprehensively smashed.

On the naval front - wouldn't it be nice to sink some Iranian ships too?
How about Iran mining the Straits of Homuz and, therefore, limiting the world supply of oil, which would lead to steep increases in the price of a barrel of crude? This would be the last straw for an ailing global economy and would lead to economic recession/depression. Or, as you say, Biped, "more terrorism"? Is that not really a bad thing? What about Iranian ex-pats living in the UK? Could we guarantee they would remain peaceful in the event of a war with Iran? And the resentment of the wider Muslim population? And what about our service personnel in Basra? Wouldn't they be under threat? How about if the war created an even greater schism between the West and Russia and China? Would that be a good thing? What if China and Russia had to eventually choose to take sides. Is it a given that they would side with us?
While I don't advocate taking on Iran, well at the moment anyway. You have to remember the US no longer has the USSR as counter weight and is much more free to do as it pleases. Note current mess in ME. However if Iran tried to mine the straits the US would destroy it's Navy toot sweet.

Iran survives only so long as it doesn't threaten the US economy. If it were to try and force the US hand like the Arabs did in the seventies with their oil embargo, then the big stick comes out and they get malleted.

An unprovoked attack is unlikely but if the Iranians do something stupid, well.....
 
#19
old_bloke said:
Yea till the Iranians cut off their oil (to the West - USA has banned oil imports from Iran since 1979) and then let their Iraqi mates take out the Iraq oil fields. Fire a few missiles into the Saudi fields and refinaries and ...

No spare capacity in the World .

Then the money makers start betting on oil futures and oil shoots up to $150 - $200 a barrel. West and East economy melts down and its the depression again but with a few million chinkies and Indians wanting their food as well.

The shaved monkey is not that stupid ? is he?

Do you really think Iran is that stupid? Don't you think that all the world nations that were on the fence about attacking Iran would certainly join the fray? Think China would want Iran to do that? It would spell the end of Iran and just be another 2-3 year recession for the west.
 
#20
Ord_Sgt are you saying then that Dubya's expansion of his vision of democracy will go on unchecked ?
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads