US To Shut Embassies Over Security Fears

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DesktopCommando, Aug 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. US To Shut Embassies Over Security Fears

An unspecified number of US embassies and consulates around the world will be closed due to security concerns, a State Department spokeswoman has said.

Marie Harf said Thursday the move is a precautionary step, taken out of an "abundance of caution" because of unspecified information indicating a threat to US facilities overseas.

"The Department of State has instructed certain US embassies and consulates to remain closed or to suspend operations on Sunday, August 4," Ms Harf told reporters.

2. There appears to be more unspecified information than specified !
    Well that's Murdoch for you.

3. The USA now has evolved to be the most paranoid country in the world, they seem to think the whole world wants to attack them, i vividly remember Russia had the same stance back during the cold war.

How times change eh ?

4. I remember one lazy November night in Kabul a few years back. British contractors had decided to introduce Guy Fawkes night to the good people of Afghanistan. The dull thud and screams of fireworks could be heard in the distance.

One female American NGO was then getting mightily upset about the noise thinking there was an attacks under way. I calmed her fears and explained what was happening and said that she shouldn't be so jumpy.

I was told that 'You Brits wouldn't understand as you've never experienced Terrorism in your own country.' I gave her a short introduction to the US funding of PIRA.

Not all Yanks are bad though. I tend to find the travelled ones and their Navy guys just like us.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

North Korea tops the list for extreme paranoia, and a few other mid eastern countries are right nesr the top of that list as well.

Shuttering operations due to undisclosed intelligence about a potential threat is a fairly reasonable reaction by the executive given it's failure to respond appropriately in the recent past to such threats.

I say this even though I am loathe to admit that anything the current executive does is reasonable...

6. Bollocks. Carry on as normal and have a few specials hiding nearby to arrest/slot them.

You guys need to learn from us on this one. If you let these ****ers give you the run around they've won.

Keep calm and carry on.

• Like Like x 7
  7. FFS, what are they scared about now?

8. Yes, I come across a number that think they are the only ones who have suffered terrorism.

9. But who would want to ... oh yes.

10. Well that's a result of the Benghazi furor.

11. Or they could be heading off any domestic reaction to the known Jihadist threats that they 'may' have picked up intelligence on?

12. Possibly, but it doesn't give a great impression on the world or yanks that the alleged most powerful nation in the world, sits cowering behind closed embassies because of some intel (and we all know how good their intel is)

13. I don't think State give a flying eff about their employees but losing some of the electorate due to a spectacular that could have been avoided isn't a vote winner is it?

14. I would go as far as saying that we know that they don't give two *****s about their staff and I agree, its probably being done because of votes. It just makes the US as a whole look weak if they close a lot of embassies due to some "intel". Did they not think about increasing security.

15. Their cushy Washington jobs if something does happen and they didn't issue a warning.

• Like Like x 1