• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

US to send 34,000 more troops to Afghanistan

If our ratio is 3 support soldiers for every combat soldier does anyone know what there ratio is? I imagine it is a lot higher. Im sure the extra numbers in whatever capacity they are present will be welcomed by everyone (With exception to the Taliban maybe).

but the nice general asked for 40,000!!

how many did we send to telic 1? 45,000 wasnt it? show you how much of a piss in the ocean we are really.

We sent 45,000 on Telic 1 from all 3 services, some of them didnt even get near Iraq as they were supporting ops from an airbase somewhere or a ship yet they counted towards the figure.

So I ask was Obama threatening the republicans that if they didn't pass his modified healthcare bill he'd withhold the troops needed for Afghanistan?

eveyoz said:
So I ask was Obama threatening the republicans that if they didn't pass his modified healthcare bill he'd withhold the troops needed for Afghanistan?
Given the bitterness in the GOP over their defeat, if he had it'd have been all over the Fox network in seconds.

Mag_to_grid said:
If our ratio is 3 support soldiers for every combat soldier does anyone know what there ratio is? I imagine it is a lot higher. Im sure the extra numbers in whatever capacity they are present will be welcomed by everyone (With exception to the Taliban maybe).
Yes, it's 33,999 to 1.

smartascarrots said:
eveyoz said:
Given the bitterness in the GOP over their defeat, if he had it'd have been all over the Fox network in seconds.
Perhaps. :)

Strange how it was all announced after he got essential votes through on health though!!

so you think he would threaten the republicans with an action which would cause him even more damage? (not deploying troops) and in doing so possibly throwing away one of his central policies as well?

dunno, personally think your stretching it there.

Yeh perhaps though its not his war and I wonder how many defence firms are based in republican states.

I think he's got through the initial stages of the health reforms by hook or by crook. Defence, military spending and Afghanistan may well be a part of the leverage he used.

:)

Mag_to_grid said:
I think our Combat to Support ratio would actually be closer to 1:4 these days and the US Army is around 1:12. The latter figure came to me from a US colleague in Iraq in 2006 and I presume he meant just the Army and not the entire military.

I think he's got through the initial stages of the health reforms by hook or by crook. Defence, military spending and Afghanistan may well be a part of the leverage he used
i would agree if the defence spending reshuffle didnt happen pretty much as soon as he got voted in, and was worked on by the republican defence sec, and of course obama hasnt actually announced the troops yet and might do some time next week so the timings a bit off there as well

still you seem to want to believe it lol

eveyoz said:
smartascarrots said:
eveyoz said:
Perhaps. :)

Strange how it was all announced after he got essential votes through on health though!!
Or possibly his first priority was the domestic issue which was the mainstay of his manifesto and he was giving that his attention? Wouldn't be the first time a politician has put internal politics ahead of international strategy.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

R

really?_fascinating

Our ratio at present is Cbt 50%
Cbt Sp 25%
CSS 25%

So actually one CSS type for every three Cbt/ Cbt Sp types and nothing like the balls you hear the uninformed spout about 'there are five loggies for every bayonet'.

Latest Threads