US to probe BAE over corruption

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Biped, Jun 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Beeb Clicky

Pot calling the kettle black? Bush Dynasty robbing the Iraqi's blind, whilst tying the whole Iraqi industry up in knots to suits themselves!

I wonder how much in the way of political kick-backs the septics give ME countries to accept their products.

I'm disgusted at the sheer hypocrisy of these muppets. If they'd got these deals with the Saudi's, you can bet your bottom dollar they'd not be doing an investigation now.

2. Maybe we should get the SFO to start investigating some US arms companies, to make sure their deals are all legit.

Sorry, I though I was in a world were the powers that be had some sort of moral backbone. Not to worry, I've been awoken to the horrid truth.

3. Incredible.

I'd support this, if they also looked at what their own Defence Industries were doing in the region.

Like that's going to happen.

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Truth is, this gobment will support the US in their investigation as much as they can, but they'll block any SFO investigation of our US 'partners'.

5. 38% of BAE's revenue is from the US. They've invested some $10bn in acquiring US second and third tier suppliers over the last 7-8 years, in the same time they've invested...what? in the UK? BAE did sell its stake in Airbus, though, so it could spend the money - in the USA. BAE dropped the absurdly old-fashioned word 'British' from its name some years ago and now considers itself a 'transatlantic' company. It would probably be whiolly US by now if not for HMG's 'golden share'. BAE have made no bones about the fact that they see their future in the US, not UK/Europe.

So when you say the US authiorities should investigate 'their own' defense industry, be aware - to all intents and purposes, THEY ARE!

It amazes me that, despite the forgoing and the decades of supplying late, substandard, overspised kit to HM Armed Forces, whilst investing virtually every penny gouged from the British taxpayer in the USA, that some people on here will actually support BAE.

6. As much as I loathe BAE and their fat brown envelopes, its a bit rich of Uncle to suddenly start getting all moralistic.

There is still well over £10bn of Iraqi oil money missing...misappropriated by the Coalition Provisional Authority ie the Yanks.

Also didnt they use Echelon SIGINT against us in order to win contracts?!

7. You can expect the Saudi Embassador to Washington to be urgently visiting George W and throwing his toys out the pram in the next few days. They can threaten to cancel US contracts just as easily as they can UK ones. The Saudi's don't like this sort of thing being discussed in public and to dig it all up again will not please them.

I wouldn't be surprised if this all ends up in investigative blind alley in the USA just as it did here and then gets quietly buried in a few months.........

8. The bottom line is that it amounts to nothing more than bloodless commercial warfare on the part of the US Defence Industry to neutralise a commercial rival by their lobbying US Congressmen to give legitimacy to what is a commercial takeover of BAE's overseas defence contracts in favour of an ailing US economy.

The difficulty for the Amercans in ventures such as this is that although they are industrially advanced, they lack the experience of commercial deviousness and treachery for which the British are world masters.

The Americans will not succeed unless they are prepared to accept enormous commercial losses.

9. It would be very interesting to see what corporate machinations are going on in the murky background. None of the big US defence contractors, let alone their highly paid Congressional lobbyists are above provoking this as a means of hamstringing BAE's reported intent to jump firmly into the US market and start making acquisitions. As someone once said "follow the money".

You know it is getting deadly serious if the US starts talking about fast track extradition of BAE executives a la Nat West three.

10. It would be very interesting to see what corporate machinations are going on in the murky background. None of the big US defence contractors, let alone their highly paid Congressional lobbyists are above provoking this as a means of hamstringing BAE's reported intent to jump firmly into the US market and start making acquisitions. As someone once said "follow the money".

You know it is getting deadly serious if the US starts talking about fast track extradition of BAE executives a la Nat West three.

11. I wonder how many backhanders are given out by the Americans to get some of these big contracts

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I wouldnt bother, the US Fraud investigators take no prisoners and Pte Eye have been predicting just this event, If you trade on a US Stock exchange you can be held liable for crimes committed overseas such as fraud and corruption. I would also like to see Goldsmith and Princess Tony the turd dragged in front of the couts as the SFO are useless!
    Crime is crime where ever it is committed. The US will nail their own just as fast!
    Watch this space!
    Regarding the so called US financial backing of politicians, thats legal there so buying a govt and contracts is legal in a way. Thats why Labour have messed up trying the same thing here. Remember they will be judged by US law in a US court in accordance with an international anti corruption treaty that we have signed yet fail to enforce.
    How we can claim to be clean when we allow our own companies to do it is wrong. That money blown on Arabs came from the UK taxpayer indirectly and could have gone on more or better kit. remember that next time you moan about crap guns etc!

13. The current issue of Private Eye has an interesting little story...

Remember Cheriegate and the Bristol flats? It turns out that both flats were leased by Thales. I presume that they were the closest and cheapest flats to Abbey Wood and Thales were blissfully unaware of the connection. :roll:

The embarrassment over this US probe will not be limited to BAE. The Bandar payments (etc) will have been made with the full knowledge of the UK government DTI/MOD.

14. I suspect they're absolutely pishing themselves at that comment in Paris. So you have any idea how many times the UK aerospace industry has been screwed over by the French in 'collaborative' ventures? Try looking into the Jaguar story and the Puma/Gazelle/Lynx agreements

15. who would have thunk it?
    Arab politicians on the take? 8O

Well as i live a breathe! :clown: