US Threatens Syria With Security Council Referral

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Jan 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From Press Trust of India.

Sec. of State Condoleezza Rice accused the Syrian government of non-compliance with various UN resolutions demanding Syrian government cooperation with an investigation into the death of former Lebanese PM Rafiq Hariri.

She said that the USA will ask the Security Council to take up Syrian state malfeasance if Damascus does not become more cooperative.

She further demanded that Syria " Syria cut its links with terrorism and called for the implementation of Resolution 1559 that called for the disarmament and disbanding of the Hizbollah and other militias."

"US threatens to haul Syria before UNSC" 12 January 2006
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1596599,00050001.htm

In a flight of fancy, I imagine China declaring itself unsatisfied with the Warren Commission investigation of the death of President Kennedy, demanding an international tribunal be convened to review the matter and agitating for sanctions to punish the US government for lack of cooperation.

They'd be told it wasn't their affair and, of course, it isn't.

2. Whilst we're in mood for using the Sec Council to sort out the Middle East can add two more countries to list requiring referals:

New Lebanon (without syrian influence) - to remove Hibz Allah et al from the Bekar Valley.
    Israel - for continued breach UNSCR668 - withdrawl to Pre 6 Jun 67 Borders.

in addition to Iran and Syria.

Plus:

Israel, India, Pakistan for material breach of the Nuclear Non-proliferation treaty....

p.s. I am curious did the DoD/State Dept ever find a resolution to the MeK problem in Iraq?

3. BEIRUT (AFP) - Syria risks further UN Security Council action unless it steps up cooperation with the probe into the murder of ex-Lebanese premier Rafiq Hariri, a US envoy warned, sparking a furious reaction from Damascus.

"Syria must cease obstructing the investigation into the assassination of Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri and must cooperate unconditionally" with the UN probe, said David Welch, the US pointman for the Middle East.

"The United States calls upon the Syrian regime to respond positively to the requests... If Syrian obstruction continues we will not hesitate to refer this matter back to the Security Council."

Welch's call echoed similar comments by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice earlier in the week, who said Washington intends "to refer this matter back to the Security Council if Syrian obstruction continues."

Welch earlier met with Maronite Patriarch Nasrallah Sfeir but has pointedly not arranged talks with pro-Damascus President Emile Lahoud, Lebanese officials said.

Syria furious as US warns of new UN action Sat Jan 14, 5:41 PM ET
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060114/pl_afp/lebanonsyriausprobe_060114224117

4. DAMASCUS, Syria, Jan. 16 (UPI) -- Syrian President Bashar Assad might meet an international investigation team if that helps find the truth about the slaying of Rafik Hariri, a source said.

"The meeting is possible only if it falls within the framework of fact-finding and defining ways for help," the well-informed source, who requested anonymity, told United Press International Monday.''

"Assad might meet Hariri inquiry" 16 January 2006
    http://www.upi.com/InternationalIntelligence/view.php?StoryID=20060116-104706-3714r

5. Has anyone ever stopped to ask why Syria would want to whack Hariri as state policy in the first place?

6. The Syrian motive is claimed to consist of the late Mr. Hariri's displeasure at the presence of the Syrian army and secret intelligence services within Lebanon.

Hariri and others in the anti-Syrian opposition had questioned the plan to extend the term of Lebanese President Emile Lahoud, emboldened by popular anger and civic action now being called Lebanon's "Cedar Revolution". Lebanese Druze leader Walid Jumblatt, a recent recruit of the anti-Syrian opposition, alleged in the wake of the assassination that in August 2004 Syrian President Bashar al-Assad threatened Hariri, saying "Lahoud is me. ... If you and Chirac want me out of Lebanon, I will break Lebanon."

"Rafik Hariri"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafik_Hariri

On the other hand, it seems to me that if the Syrian state were credibly linked with this murder such would amount to a prospectively obvious fiasco for the Syrian government.

It's a basic step of any police investigation to assess who benefited from a crime. It's not clear to me that Syria got any benefit from this one, that it could have reasonably believed it would, or that it is the only member of the class consisting of potential beneficiaries.

7. Jailorinummqasr, Israel, Pakistan or India have not signed the NPT so therefore cannot be in breach, whilst Iran ratified it in 2/2/70 and Iraq in 10/29/69 ( http://www.fas.org/nuke/control/npt/text/npt3.htm ) , and UN Res 668 is about Cambodia, not Israel. You most probably mean UNSC Res 338 which refers to UNSC Res 242 which demands withdrawal to '67 borders amongst other things;

" (ii) Termination of all claims or states of belligerency and respect for and acknowledgment of the sovereignty, territorial integrity and political independence of every State in the area and their right to live in peace within secure and recognized boundaries free from threats or acts of force;"

Egypt and Jordan didnt withdraw their claims for "Palestine" until the 90's IIRC, plus Israeli claims regarding Syria sponsoring terrorism against Israel could mean Syria falling foul of "and their right to live in peace within secure and recognized boundaries free from threats or acts of force"

Chances are Israel will (quite rightly) refuse any serious peace talks until Syria stops sponsoring terrorist groups that threaten and kill Israeli's, given the past few years Jordan and Iraq may well start asking Syria to stop playing dirty as well ;)

8. Chances are Middle Eastern Nations will start asking Israel to stop illegally producing Nukes.

Chances are Sharon may hold on, the tough old b*stard , and drag Israel kicking and screaming into the 21st century, not 100 BC.

Chances are absolutely nil , that Israel will hold any serious 'peace' talks , until it's future is threatend. As long as it has America looking over it's shoulder, that doesn't need to happen , does it.

Chances are , the US will veto another attempt to get Israel to disclose just how many nukes it has, and how many it is producing.

And you wonder why Iran is so keen to have Nukes too?

Chances are Assad could do wonders for Syria, but he's not going to be given the chance, because it would drive a coach and four through most of Israel's arguments.

How strange that they finally give a toss about a ME politician getting zapped.

9. How is Israel producing nuclear weapons illegally ? thats if they are producing nuclear weapons (for the record, I do believe Israel has nuclear weapons but after the fiasco with Iraq I'm waiting for definite proof), does Israel have a law preventing it from producing nuclear weapons? you cant use the NPT, Israel isn't a signatory, yet Iran *is*, so Iran may potentially be breaking it's own laws.

Israel already is in the 21st century, unfortuantly alot of it's neighbours arent. Hence part of the problem, and yes I know Israel has very often been heavy handed, petty and somewhat idiotic towards it's neighbours, the problem is it's neighbours have been as bad. For the record if this was 1948 I wouldn't agree with formation of Israel, however it's now 2006 and Israel has the right to exist by the fact that it's been in existance for 58 years, ironically due to Turkish, British and French meddling, most Arab nations haven't been around for much longer.

Israel has never threatened Iran to my understanding, Iraq has .. and has gone ahead and used chemical weapons against Iran, Saudia Arabia is also rumoured to have chemical weapons, and has weapons capable of hitting Iran, Pakistan has nuclear weapons and isn't fond of Iran. See, Iran doesnt need Israel to build an excuse for nukes, they have several already. Thats before we mention the US and it's (and being honest, our) habit of sending troops into the region.

Why would Assad do wonders for syria? his father didn't, why expect him to be any different? Certainly we've not seen much of that, other than Syria is being a bit more cautious.

It's all very well sitting back and trying to be PC and blaming everything on Israel but it simply doesn't reflect the situation there, you can't expect Israel to sit back and ignore terrorists operating out of southern lebenon, the "palestinian" territories and Syrian/Iranian backing, whilst I agree that Israel should formalise their borders with "palestine" and withdraw to as much of the '67 border as possible I don't see that this will improve anything. At best it will give Israel some "moral" high ground in future diplomatic dealings with it's neighbours, who will still consider it a European colony, a "crusader" state and an insult to Islam (which is the problem with the cultures in that region, they're too busy blaming their own failures on everyone else).

10. Zero sympath with Syria.
    And much as I have 'Problems' with Mid East islamic states, if Isreal can have, why can't they. For the JEW has had massive US support since before WW II. Saw a speech by Roosevelt on TV last night, on subject of Jewish persecution by one A. Hitlers regiem pre WW II.
    john
    Forget Sharon, IF and I don't beleive ever, he regains any form of serious brain function his days as a world statesman are gone.

11. Local computator up C ock
    john

12. If Assad falls the Muslim Brotherhood would most likely take power and they're even more hardline...are the spams shooting themselves in the foot again?

13. While we're at it, I'd like to see a UNSC resolution that the victors of WWII restore the pre-1939 borders of Germany and Japan. Since we're all so keen to see Israel give up land she took in warfare, from neighbors who attacked her, I'm sure the French, Poles, Russians, chinese, Czechs, Austrians et. al will be all aboard for such action! Anyone? (Crickets chirping)

14. From SANA, the Syrian state news agency.

Member of the Russian State Duma condemned on Today bids to make use of the crime of assassinating former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri to escalate the media campaign on Syria and put political and economic pressures on her.

The Russian General Nocolai Lionov said in statement in Moscow that “holding Syria as responsible for what happened of dramatic events in Lebanon constitutes a political provocation because the United States is the first beneficiary from the current situation in Lebanon after the U.S. adventures failed in the region mainly in Iraq and the popularity of U.S. President George Bush lowered inside the United States.”

Meantime, the well known Russian Orientalist Robert Landa said a similar statement that the crime of killing former Lebanese Premier Hariri and the investigation opened were to raise tension among Arabs and to make a split in their ranks as well to affect Syria’s position in the region stressing that this clarifies that all accusation directed to Syria are null.

"Russians Denounce Making Use of Hariri Crime"
    Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 07:20 PM
    http://www.sana.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=16721&newlang=eng