US threatened to bomb Pakistan post 11th Sept

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by catchyerselfon, Sep 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Closing comment on Channel Four News tonight from ol' Snowy.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - President Pervez Musharraf of Pakistan said that after the September 11 attacks the United States threatened to bomb his country if it did not cooperate with America's campaign against the Taliban in Afghanistan.........

"The intelligence director told me that (Armitage) said, 'Be prepared to be bombed. Be prepared to go back to the Stone Age,'" Musharraf said. "I think it was a very rude remark."

Full article here
    http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=worldNews&storyid=2006-09-21T200634Z_01_N21424904_RTRUKOC_0_UK-PAKISTAN-MUSHARRAF.xml&src=rss

2. 'We'll bomb you to Stone Age, US told Pakistan

Musharraf reveals post-9/11 threat in book serialised by The Times

President Musharraf of Pakistan

PERVEZ MUSHARRAF, the President of Pakistan, claimed last night that the Bush Administration threatened to bomb his country “into the Stone Age” if it did not co-operate with the US after 9/11, sharply increasing tensions between the US and one of its closest allies in the war on terrorism.

The President, who will meet Mr Bush in the White House today, said the threat was made by Richard Armitage, then the Deputy Secretary of State, in the days after the terror attacks, and was issued to the Pakistani intelligence director.

“The intelligence director told me that [Armitage] said, ‘Be prepared to be bombed. Be prepared to go back to the Stone Age’,” President Musharraf said. “I think it was a very rude remark.” '

Article in in full

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2369505,00.html

3. Wouldn't have taken many bombs to turn the place back to the stone age FFS!

4. Armitage is the same guy who "inadvertently"leaked the name of that CIA agent Whats-her-name to the media.He is also thought to have (while in a drunken state) let it slip that the US had broken the Iranian military code and was listening in to secure comms.

Armitage is a good guy but a buffoon none the less.I wont be surprised if he was grandstanding when he said this.Or drunk.

5. But HE is a decorated NAVY SEAL with a number of real tours, many of his alledged mishaps are viciously pointed out by the NEO CONs in Bushs administration despite(of because of) the fact he was an effective member of the Govt & Powells number 2.

6. You are right.He is being used to deflect attention from Cheney and Scooter Libby.He is also the best way to get to Colin Powell who is even as we speak being called 'unpatriotic' by the same people who a few months ago were carrying him on their shoulders around the town square.