US Sub Collision

De'ja vu.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/english/200102/10/eng20010210_62012.html

Ten people aboard a Japanese training ship went missing Friday after it sank following a collision with a US nuclear-powered submarine off Hawaii, local media reported.

The 10 are among 35 people who were aboard the ship. Twenty-five people have already been rescued, the report said.

The training ship is from a fisheries high school in Uwajima, Ehime Prefecture,western Japan, Kyodo News quoted the Japan Coast Guard as saying.

This happened in 2001. You would think people would learn.

RABC said:
Sonar turned off was it ??
Sonar can be passive as well as active so highly unlikely this was the case in this particular incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6243395.stm

A US nuclear-powered submarine has collided with a Japanese tanker near the Straits of Hormuz, Japanese and US government officials have said.

The USS Newport News did not suffer substantial damage, and there were no injuries to crew, a US Navy spokeswoman told the AFP news agency.

There were no oil spills from Japanese tanker, the Mogamigawa, and no injuries, a company official said.

The tanker will dock in the United Arab Emirates to check the damage.

The bow of the submarine collided with the stern of the oil tanker at 1915GMT just outside the busy shipping lanes of the Straits of Hormuz.

The Mogamigawa is operated by Kawasaki Kisen Ltd, the Kyodo news agency reported.

Japanese oil company Showa Shell Sekiyu K.K. told the agency the ship was en route from the Gulf to Singapore with a crew of eight Japanese and 16 Filipinos.

A US Navy spokesman in Bahrain said that there had been a collision.

"I can confirm that an incident took place between one of our submarines and a merchant ship," said Commander Kevin Aandahl of the US Fifth Fleet.

The 110-metre (360-foot) USS Newport News carries a crew of 127.

The BBC's Chris Hogg, in Tokyo, says there will be embarrassment for the US navy over the incident but also relief that the collision was not more serious.

In February 2001, the US nuclear submarine Greenville sank a Japanese fisheries training vessel, the Ehime Maru, off Hawaii, killing nine sailors on the fishing boat.
It's the Strait of Hormuz, NOT Straits. FFS, There's only one of them!

The water is fairly shallow in that part of the world, but tankers don't make sudden changes in direction or speed.

Looks like someone might get demoted.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
AndyPipkin said:
Hmm. Looks like the sub was trying to slip through the Straights hiding beneath and behind the tanker and got a bit too close.
No, more likely trying to put an ID into the sonar database for an unknown ship. When you detect a ship on passive sonar you use, amongst other things, blade count. But you need to know how many blades on each prop of the ship. So, if its a new ship you come in up close to the props. There's a small window up in the fin (newer boats use a camera) that you nip up into to have a look. It sounds like they mucked it up this time.

Bouillabaisse said:
AndyPipkin said:
Hmm. Looks like the sub was trying to slip through the Straights hiding beneath and behind the tanker and got a bit too close.
No, more likely trying to put an ID into the sonar database for an unknown ship. When you detect a ship on passive sonar you use, amongst other things, blade count. But you need to know how many blades on each prop of the ship. So, if its a new ship you come in up close to the props. There's a small window up in the fin (newer boats use a camera) that you nip up into to have a look. It sounds like they mucked it up this time.
Well I suppose subs have been doing this for decades, then. In which case - I'm amazed there haven't been many more such accidents! Or maybe there have, just not reported?

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
They're all named after American cities - they're the "Los Angeles" class. The worst of the bunch is "USS City of Corpus Christi"

Why would they need to get close to inspect the props on a tanker?!?! Lloyds of London will probably give them the drawings!

Sorry, I'm going to remove this bit because it's NAAFI talk, not high-brow.

"I think they were (bearing in mind it's the NAVY we're talking about), giving each other mutual masturbation and **** swallowing and forgot which steering wheel they should have been holding on to."
Naughty me!

Pillager said:
Newport News? - what a rubbish name for a vessel!
To the Yanks it is just the same as calling a ship London, or Manchester.

Newport News is a major warship building town in Virginia close to the major naval base at Norfolk

Peter

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
AndyPipkin said:
Well I suppose subs have been doing this for decades, then. In which case - I'm amazed there haven't been many more such accidents! Or maybe there have, just not reported?

Wah!

Bouillabaisse said:
AndyPipkin said:
Interesting. The Mogamigawa has been sailing the high seas for over 5 years - even fended off an attempted hijack in 2002. It seems to have taken the USN quite a while to find this particular beast.

Maybe they thought it was a ghost ship since a USN sub (USS Whale) sunk a Mogamigawa Maru back in '43. Be a bit embarrassing if a relative of certain Lt Cmdr Albert Burrows is on board USS Newport News, wouldn't it???

:D

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Bouillabaisse said:
AndyPipkin said:
Maybe they were trying a new method of counting each blade hitting the hull?
BANGBANGBANGBANGBANG
"five blades Sir"

The Newport News was grounded on its maiden voyage so she has had a spot of bad luck in her career. As the third in her class she is probably on the list for decommissioning. As for her skipper he will be pretty lucky if he avoids being relieved.

The Newport News,an LA class attack sub struck a Japanese merchant ship. No casualties. There is damage.
About 64 years too late for the rendezvous......................I wonder if they were watching Midway on the sub video system ?

how the hell do you crash into a tanker?

looks like someone will be promoted! yes promoted, you can't crash into any ships driving a desk in HQ!

The US Minneapolis and St.Pauls managed to lose 2 crewmen whilst departing Plymouth sound only last week
Clear weather and they ended up with 4 berths free
2 seriously injured and two on the way Stateside in Flag drapped boxes

I'd hazard the guess Uncle Sams Sailing club may be in need of a couple of sub drivers and sonar ops