US Sub Collision

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tomahawk6, Jan 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Newport News,an LA class attack sub struck a Japanese merchant ship. No casualties. There is damage.
  2. De'ja vu.

This happened in 2001. You would think people would learn.
  3. Sonar turned off was it ??
  4. Sonar can be passive as well as active so highly unlikely this was the case in this particular incident.

It's the Strait of Hormuz, NOT Straits. FFS, There's only one of them!
  5. Hmm. Looks like the sub was trying to slip through the Straights hiding beneath and behind the tanker and got a bit too close.
  6. The water is fairly shallow in that part of the world, but tankers don't make sudden changes in direction or speed.

Looks like someone might get demoted.
  7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

No, more likely trying to put an ID into the sonar database for an unknown ship. When you detect a ship on passive sonar you use, amongst other things, blade count. But you need to know how many blades on each prop of the ship. So, if its a new ship you come in up close to the props. There's a small window up in the fin (newer boats use a camera) that you nip up into to have a look. It sounds like they mucked it up this time.
  8. Well I suppose subs have been doing this for decades, then. In which case - I'm amazed there haven't been many more such accidents! Or maybe there have, just not reported?
  9. Newport News? - what a rubbish name for a vessel!
  10. Bouillabaisse

They're all named after American cities - they're the "Los Angeles" class. The worst of the bunch is "USS City of Corpus Christi"
  11. Why would they need to get close to inspect the props on a tanker?!?! Lloyds of London will probably give them the drawings!

Sorry, I'm going to remove this bit because it's NAAFI talk, not high-brow.

"I think they were (bearing in mind it's the NAVY we're talking about), giving each other mutual masturbation and **** swallowing and forgot which steering wheel they should have been holding on to."
    Naughty me!
  12. To the Yanks it is just the same as calling a ship London, or Manchester.

Newport News is a major warship building town in Virginia close to the major naval base at Norfolk

13. Bouillabaisse

14. Interesting. The Mogamigawa has been sailing the high seas for over 5 years - even fended off an attempted hijack in 2002. It seems to have taken the USN quite a while to find this particular beast.

Maybe they thought it was a ghost ship since a USN sub (USS Whale) sunk a Mogamigawa Maru back in '43. Be a bit embarrassing if a relative of certain Lt Cmdr Albert Burrows is on board USS Newport News, wouldn't it???

15. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Maybe they were trying a new method of counting each blade hitting the hull?
    "five blades Sir"