US Spy Ship Pueblo

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Rumrunner, Apr 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. US Spy Ship Pueblo

USS Pueblo, was attacked and captured by the North Korean Navy on January 23, 1968. It was the first United States Navy ship to be hijacked on the high seas by a foreign military force in over 150 years.

I remember this incident well, I wonder if others do or is it just a case of selective memories on the part of some.

There has been a lot of speculation on ARRSE, some positive and some negative about the conduct of our service people taken hostage (I refrain from using the term POW as we are not at war with Iran). I thought it may be of some interest to younger members of ARRSE and others with short memories to post these links. Thank God it only took the British Government 15 days to secure their release and not the 11 months it took America to secure their hostages safe return. The return of USS Pueblo took some 30 years longer!

Read on:-
  2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I remember it well. Would have been hard-put to say North Korea without prompting, but I remember it well enough not to need to follow the links.
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, there you have it. Semper fi my good buddies. Now that's what I call affirmative action when faced with hostage taking.
  8. Trying to follow this I'm a bit confused. Now, I may have this wrong (and am prepared to be corrected...) but are you talking about the same thing?

The Pueblo was taken by North Korea after it allegedly strayed into their territorial waters in 1968. Fine. Then things get confused for me by reference to the Gulf of Tonkin incident which (correct me if I'm wrong) was the USS Maddox in 1964 off North Vietnam.

As stated, the Maddox is seen as bait for North Vietnam to justify an escalated US commitment to Vietnam. Johnson is said to have carried round what later became known as the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution while waiting for something to happen that would expedite Congressional approval of its provisions for increased US military involvement in Vietnam.
    IIRC correctly it was attacked by North Vietnamese torpedo boats and wasn't actually captured.

9. What I was trying to do, was to reply the stupid comments made by the author of this tripe in the American Press and others. Perhaps my post was too oblique for bob_lawlaw? Perhaps I should have said “you Yanks have indeed been in the same position and did nothing!”
  10. Rumrunner: got your bit and thought it was a good comparison. Just wasn't sure if Bob wasn't mixing up the Pueblo with the Maddox, which was provoking albeit North Vietnam not North Korea and four years earlier.

Apologies if I misread Bob's posts. Sometimes you read something again and again...