US Special Forces ODA MFF team makes history!

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Aug 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Military Free Fall team makes own history

By ODA 074 Team Members and Capt. Karla S. Owen, 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) Public Affairs

FORT CARSON, Colo. (Sine Pari, Aug. 22, 2008) - It was the early morning hours of May 30, 2007, as the 11-man Special Forces team crept silently through their target’s village. They had achieved total surprise after conducting the first ever combat standoff military freefall insertion of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Every person in the village was sound asleep.

The team, Operational Detachment – Alpha 074, Alpha Company, 3rd Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne), jumped into the Ninewah Province, north of the Iraqi Sinjar Mountain, with the intent to capture a suspected terrorist with ties to trafficking counterfeit U.S. currency. They also had plans to disrupt a criminal network supporting the movement and funding of foreign fighters, weapons and equipment funneled into Iraq.

Link to article:
  2. wow they parachuted into an Iraqi village at night and found everyone asleep? They could do that round at my house, the key is in the hanging basket.
    Good to see that the result of the op was ------------ ZILCH

Of course they were asleep, it was the middle of the night. No wonder no one was waiting for them, they had no reason to be expecting anyone due to the fact there was no-one there to be worried about them turning up!

"Addleman forcefully stated" = justifying a fcuk up.
  3. I confess I'm generally pro-Septic but I'm a bit baffled by this.

Is the newsworthy aspect:

a. that they managed to infiltrate a village in the middle of the night without finding everyone "awake and waiting for us"; or

b. that they successfully did this by means of a freefall jump?

It clearly wasn't "100% successful" as they didn't have the requisite baddy's arrse in nick afterwards but that's semantics perhaps.

Now call me a bluff old traditionalist but getting a covert patrol into somewhere at night to lift a player doesn't strike me as particularly out of the ordinary (with the exception of jumping in of course). I'm also slightly surprised to see the "special forces" spin on this.

Aren't normal US battalions doing snatch operations? Is this exclusively the preserve of Speshul Forces in the US?
  4. Addleman was obviously a bit miffed that the reporter questioned the value of the mission since there were no bad guys at all there.
    Cant takle construcive critisism? Dont give interviews!
  5. gung ho operational halo very warry
    slightly less ally nobody there worth haloing in to capture
    so utterly pointless op
    I nearly captured bin laden in my back garden apart from the fact he was'nt hiding there :twisted:
    thats not really fair Halo drop into Iraq is a very ally. But actually achieving nothing of any value isn't :(