US Special Forces invade Syria

#1
OOPS!Looks like someone's in the poo!

sky news

Syrian TV channel Al Dunia said an unknown number of US helicopters attacked the village of Al Sukkiraya, east of the capital.

Witnesses were reported as saying the attack targeted a house in the area in which a man and his four sons, and two other people were killed.

"Nine people were killed and 14 wounded in the raid, which hit a group of builders while they were working," the TV station said.

"All victims were civilians," it added.

It is not clear when the attack happened.

Sergeant Brooke Murphy, a US military spokesperson in Baghdad, said "We are in the process of investigating this."

More to follow...
 
#4
Syria condemns and denounces this act of aggression and US forces will bear the responsibility for any consequences.
In the poo indeed.
 
#5
I'm amazed.......Stealth helicopters. Must be, otherwise how the hell did they get to a village east of Damascus without being spotted on radar? Having had a quick look at Google, I'm even more amazed!
 
#6
Whoops, that's someone's map-reading instructor in the cack then.
 
#7
It would depend on who they were attacking. The protestations might very well be for public consumption, Syria has the same problems with radical Islam their fellow Baathists in Iraq had IIRC. A US strike on those chaps might be just the ticket from their point of view.

Buy Bacofoil, you know it makes sense.
 
#8
Syria are (were) getting quite cosy with Israel these days. That's terrible news for the USA, as it poses a potential threat to American supremacy in the region. Cue destabilising attack to break the peace and keep the stars and stripes flying for longer. Result USA 1 - RoW 0.
 
#10
I have just read the update on the beeb, they killed a major target that was smugling foreign fighters into iraq, so yes it was a successful raid on all acounts! But didn't they kill kids also?
 
#11
fluffer said:
I have just read the update on the beeb, they killed a major target that was smugling foreign fighters into iraq, so yes it was a successful raid on all acounts! But didn't they kill kids also?
Women and children always get killed when the Americans attack someone, even if there are non within 20 miles. :oops:
 
#13
"It was a successful operation. [Abu Ghadiyah] is believed to be dead. This undoubtedly will have a debilitating effect on this foreign fighter smuggling network," the official said.

A second official told the agency that only people the forces considered a threat had been targeted and that women and children were alive when the team left."

I wonder if that is true? Wouldn't put it past the Syrians etc to try and cover who this bloke actual was by killing a few of their own citizens to make the Yanks look bad!
 
#14
GeordieSaint said:
"It was a successful operation. [Abu Ghadiyah] is believed to be dead. This undoubtedly will have a debilitating effect on this foreign fighter smuggling network," the official said.

A second official told the agency that only people the forces considered a threat had been targeted and that women and children were alive when the team left."

I wonder if that is true? Wouldn't put it past the Syrians etc to try and cover who this bloke actual was by killing a few of their own citizens to make the Yanks look bad!
It doe's seem like a bit of a cover up, when the team left? Suggesting that people are trying to frame the US when everyone knows them for this, supported by the whole war in Iraq!!
 
#15
fluffer said:
GeordieSaint said:
"It was a successful operation. [Abu Ghadiyah] is believed to be dead. This undoubtedly will have a debilitating effect on this foreign fighter smuggling network," the official said.

A second official told the agency that only people the forces considered a threat had been targeted and that women and children were alive when the team left."

I wonder if that is true? Wouldn't put it past the Syrians etc to try and cover who this bloke actual was by killing a few of their own citizens to make the Yanks look bad!
It doe's seem like a bit of a cover up, when the team left? Suggesting that people are trying to frame the US when everyone knows them for this, supported by the whole war in Iraq!!
On what evidence do you base your cover up theory, other than blatant anti Americanism?

If you look at the evidence objectively, on the balance of probabilities, do you think the Americans went into Syria and knocked off a few terrorists as they've said, or go in and blindly murder a Syrian farmer and his family as Syria suggests?
 
B

BambiBasher

Guest
#16
All_Torque said:
fluffer said:
GeordieSaint said:
"It was a successful operation. [Abu Ghadiyah] is believed to be dead. This undoubtedly will have a debilitating effect on this foreign fighter smuggling network," the official said.

A second official told the agency that only people the forces considered a threat had been targeted and that women and children were alive when the team left."

I wonder if that is true? Wouldn't put it past the Syrians etc to try and cover who this bloke actual was by killing a few of their own citizens to make the Yanks look bad!
It doe's seem like a bit of a cover up, when the team left? Suggesting that people are trying to frame the US when everyone knows them for this, supported by the whole war in Iraq!!
On what evidence do you base your cover up theory, other than blatant anti Americanism?

If you look at the evidence objectively, on the balance of probabilities, do you think the Americans went into Syria and knocked off a few terrorists as they've said, or go in and blindly murder a Syrian farmer and his family as Syria suggests?
They certainly intended to do the former.
 
#17
I can't help feeling that the US SF should have been in and out quietly and without fuss with no-one being any the wiser and full deniability. Perhaps it suits their aims to publically proclaim what they have done, I don't know.
One would suppose they have observers so why not target insurgents as they cross the border?
SF should be stealth personified, leave the marching bands to the 'flag wavers' (AMF(L)) types where flag waving creates the desired effect.
 
#18
I don't think that the Americans did publicise it, did they? The Syrian complaint appears to have been the first indication that something had happened, and one would assume that the DoD/State decided to admit that an op had taken place to ensure that the Syrians didn't have complete control of the news agenda.

Agreed that the 'when the team left' phrase could be open to misinterpretation - clearly its meant to be a barbed 'so if any were killed, blame the Syrians for it - would you put it past them? No, thought not...' - but I suspect that the US, frankly, has got used to an array of people wilfully misinterpreting every official utterance and doesn't actually care whether they do so again on this occasion.
 
#19
fluffer said:
I have just read the update on the beeb, they killed a major target that was smugling foreign fighters into iraq, so yes it was a successful raid on all acounts! But didn't they kill kids also?
You forgot about the poor kitties they killed in cold blood as well...

 
#20
They are always wedding parties, or children, or unarmed or women. There are never any en combatants ever, infact. It must certainly be true becuase Syria is a firm and tested ally of democracy and the west, and never ever sponsored terrorism.
 

Latest Threads

Top