US Soldiers to have 'Mini Drones' in their daysacs?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by ScotlandsLad, Oct 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

2. Are these smaller versions of the 'Dominator' drone? They look quite similar.
  3. I think it may be of similar role.

The domiator communicates with something like a C-130 to recieve attack insturcutions and can remain airborne for 12 hours.

Wheras the Switchblade is controlled by a remote on the ground by the person who launched it and remains in the air for at maximum 40 minutes.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Long story short: Because of some recent exposure (my 8 year olds birthday pressie) to remote control helichopters and a UAV conversation with a knowledgable neighbour I started to look at what was out there. Scary.

For under a grand you have something that flies at speed accurately to within a couple of inches, can be pre-programmed, has built in GPS, proximity detection and ground hugging sonar. Don't believe me, watch the vid and note how it flies between branches at speed - my personal fave is when it flies in one car window and out of the other.

These are arguably cheap, but as soon as a defence contracts, civil servants and free lunches become involved the cost sky rockets.

Loads of info:

DIY Drones

Watch the vid

5. Terrorists are going to love those as well.
  6. At the end of the day, these are just radio controlled planes with a camera, a GPS on board and transmitter (maybe some other bits and bobs). The technology has been round for decades and should be available easily for under a grand and it is surprising that it has taken this long to start getting these things out there in bulk.
  7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Click, the BBC News 24 techno geek program, covered a mini UK drone this weekend - I think it's an observation platform rather than having an offensive capability but IIRC the sum of £22,000 was mentioned.

Quick warning, before you get to watch the spy bot piece you have to sit through an item about pixelated IRR cladding for armour.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. My thoughts exactly, especially the cheaply made DIY ones!
  9. I think that there'll be a few 'own goals' during the teething period.
  10. With a bit of luck :)
  11. But, just like Norn Iron they go through a steep learning curve and pop out the other end with a bundle of know how.

This looks like something that has an NSN but its a civvy "toy".

Cost $70.

Add a 3 channel RC and a $170 HD Pro Cam and away you go.

nitroplanes's Channel - YouTube

My conversation with my neighbour was interesting, he flies a 10 foot span B-29 bomber and is well respected in the RC community. He has advised US plod a couple of times on the possibilities of civvy owned RC aircraft. I will not say which City he advised in but according to him the criminal use of RC aircraft is a threat taken seriously. Just waiting for the licensing police to catch on and control sales of the stuff.