US Soldiers Captured by Taliban

Sky News said:
Two US soldiers have been captured by Afghan insurgents south of Kabul, a Taliban official has said.

The Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) has no official comment.

Local radio stations have apparently aired US broadcasts offering $20,000 (£13,000) reward for information leading to their safe release.
Sky News Link

Is dark! Just reminds me of Ken Bigley.

It'd be nice to keep your chin high and say they may get returned, but in all fairness they wouldn't negotiate. They're winding up on liveleak.

If this story is true as reported, I would be surprised if there is a happy outcome for the two captured troops. It seems that the capture has occurred at a time when beheadings are high on the agenda. How the USA will react if that occurs is anybodys guess. AQ have already got our number when it come to the effective use of television and atrocity. Even if the US politicians manage to enter in to a dialog over release what have we the west got which they would want? **** all!

RIP Guys.....

Poor bastards...

Hope for the best. Expect the worst.

If this story is true as reported, I would be surprised if there is a happy outcome for the two captured troops. It seems that the capture has occurred at a time when beheadings are high on the agenda. How the USA will react if that occurs is anybodys guess. AQ have already got our number when it come to the effective use of television and atrocity. Even if the US politicians manage to enter in to a dialog over release what have we the west got which they would want? **** all!
It is. The Americans are not amused........

Details seem a bit sketchy and no doubt more info will come out. But the circumstances as relayed by the media at present seem peculiar...? More ammunition for the Taliban.

If it was me I would be a good Muslim
Snap, I'd be the bestest muslim ever. Who gives a flying fcuk about religion and state as long as it lets your head stay attached to your neck? If I'd have ever been captured I'd have called any fcuker they wanted me to all the names under the sun. I may not have meant it but I'd have said it in spades.

If it got me released I would have been in the great position of being able to say "it was all bullsh1t and they were cnuts and I lied to them and they believed it" as opposed to being in the dead position of being able to say "I stayed true until they cut my throat" and then being able to say fcuk all else.

I never take notice of the words of any captured serviceman for the very reason that he is captured.

I hope they come away OK, I bet they are made to make many propagandist broadcasts, if they are then they should be forgiven for simply wanting to not die.

If it were me I would be shouting "sanctuary" in pashtun as soon as I was able, and keep shouting it until I got a positive response. Then I would do the whole five times a day praying, never eating pork, treating women like shit typical pashtun thing. Life is better than any alternative, says I.

Tam

P

pp0470

My thoughts are with these soldiers, hoping for a good outcome, i.e. they survive/don't suffer.

Awaiting with interest to hear more about the circumstance of their capture - initial reports suggest a situation nearly as odd as that of other US captive, Bowe Bergdahl

2 US Navy service members missing in Afghanistan

DEB RIECHMANN & Rahim Faiez in Kabul, Afghanistan (AP)

Two U.S. Navy service members disappeared in a dangerous area of eastern Afghanistan, prompting a massive air and ground search and appeals on local radio stations for their safe return, NATO and Afghan officials said.

The two left their compound in the Afghan capital, Kabul, in a vehicle Friday afternoon, but never returned, NATO said in a statement. Vehicles and helicopters were dispatched to search for the two, who may have been killed or captured by the Taliban after getting lost in Charkh district of southern Logar province, said district chief Samer Gul.

A NATO official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of search operations, confirmed the two were Navy personnel, but would not identify their unit to avoid jeopardizing search operations. The official said it was unclear what the two were doing or what would lead them to leave their compound. The official would not say whether the two were on official business.

The Taliban have not contacted the coalition force to claim responsibility or make any demands for their release, the official said.

Gul, the district chief in Charkh, said that a four-wheel drive armored sports utility vehicle was seen Friday night by a guard working for the district chief's office. The guard tried to flag down the vehicle, carrying a driver and a passenger, but it kept going, Gul said.

"They stopped in the main bazaar of Charkh district. The Taliban saw them in the bazaar," Gul said. "They didn't touch them in the bazaar, but notified other Taliban that a four-wheel vehicle was coming their way."

The second group of Taliban tried to stop the vehicle, but when it didn't, insurgents opened fire and the occupants in the vehicle shot back, he said.

NATO said a search is under way for the missing service members. According to Gul, one may have been killed and the other taken hostage by the Taliban.

"Maybe they wanted to go to Paktia province or to the American base, but they came down the wrong road toward Charkh," Gul said. "They didn't pay any attention to the police. Otherwise we could have kept them from going into an insecure area and now this unfortunate incident has happened."

The only U.S. service member known to be in Taliban captivity is Spc. Bowe Bergdahl of Hailey, Idaho, who disappeared June 30, 2009, in neighboring Paktika province, an area heavily infiltrated by the Haqqani network, which has deep links to al-Qaida. He has since appeared on videos posted on Taliban websites confirming his captivity.

New York Times reporter David Rohde was also kidnapped in Logar province while trying to make contact with a Taliban commander. He and an Afghan colleague escaped in June 2009 after seven months in captivity, most of it spent in Taliban sanctuaries in Pakistan.

Mohammad Nasir Medaruz, director of a radio station in Logar called Meli Pegham, or "National Message," said he had received a phone call from coalition officials asking that he broadcast a message offering $10,000 for information about the whereabouts of each missing service member.

"I told them that Logar is not a safe area and if I broadcast that, I could get attacked," Medaruz said.

He said that if the military officials paid him, he would broadcast the information and say that it was an "advertisement."

He said he did not broadcast the information, but another radio station, sponsored by the military in Logar, did air the message.

On Saturday in the same district in Logar, the manager of an Afghan construction company and his driver were kidnapped, according to Din Mohammad Darwesh, spokesman for the governor of Logar province. The two Afghans captured worked with Afghan Korean Construction Co., he said.

Associated Press