US Soldier Saved After Being Impaled with RPG

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Mar 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Excuse if this has been posted before but it is about a young soldier from near where i live and is pretty inspirational.

2. Amazing story, sure I heard it a fair while ago when it featured in Nuts or Zoo magazine I think. Hats off to the MERT and EOD teams involved!
  3. Ballsy, well done... any gongs handed out?
  4. Since it was the Army I imagine so--kidding! :D
  5. An utterly inspiring and very emotional story! So glad that your man's up and about and with his family and that none of the Medics came to any harm.

I'm pretty sure I read about a similar case in Vietnam (or was it Cambodia or Laos?) where some farmer had a 40 mm grenade lodged in his back and a team of Septic Medics operated on him from behind sandbags. But they got the grenade out and save the man's life. That what Medics do.

6. there were several in Vietnam-one I was close to was a 60 mm mortar round in a guys chest cavity

there were a good number of 40mm grenade cases due to the spin arming delay
  7. I think the Russians have done a similar operation some years ago? IIRC they had to operate outside for fear of blowing up the operating theatre?
  8. JJH,
    Thanks for posting the link - an amazing story.
    It just brings it home that everyone involved in theatre have a part to play. The Medical teams, the pilots, the Bomb disposal teams etc etc. The Medical Officer was particularly impressive. I wish Channing Moss and his family all the very best for the future.
  9. It took large sets of balls for all involved to save this man well done to all involved.
  10. Its a bloody miracle he can still walk.
  11. It is not often that I cannot find words that fully express my feelings but this is one of those times. Totally awe inspiring.
  12. To be honest I do not usually visit this forum, but I will now.

That piece of video footage was inspiring. Not so much the removal of the RPG round, which was amazing, but the risk to the whole team involved as they broke rule after rule in order to save that young mans life.

@ jumpinjarhead. As per (usually non-sensical) military procedure, was anybody brought up on charges following these heroic actions?
  13. I googled names after seeing the video and learned that Major Oh was awarded the Soldiers Medal (given for heroism not involving combat) and the other doc was given the Army Commendation Medal witha "V" device for valor.

Sometimes discipline and medals are a close thing. I have the honor of knowing an elderly retired USN Captain who earned the Medal of Honor in Korea. He told me once that when he returned to his ship the CAG (Air Boss) called him to his office. He was expecting relief from duties and a General Court Martial for deliberately crashing his plane and was surprised to be told that he was being put in for a Medal of Honor for attempting to save the live of his downed wingman who had been trapped in his own crashed plane.
    Edited to add: to avoid being too cryptic, the incident involving the naval officer is described here: Linky
    The events occurred near Chosin Reservoir during the battle of that name.
  14. Not to my knowledge--I imagine it was one of those situations where it was better to ask forgiveness than permission. It certainly underscores what we continue to see--just as with the 2 extremely brave recipients of the George Cross over there this week--when our troops lives are in the balance, their comrades, and also their allies as so often with the UK and US, will move heaven and earth to save them in spite of regulations.

I have been involved in military matters for almost 45 years now and I continue to be in awe of that special something that motivates otherwise "normal" people to perform such extraordinary acts. Just being among such men (and women--like the RN's Kate Nesbitt receiving the MC) is what I have found fully compensates for innumerable cold (or hot) wet nights in the field away from hearth and home, too many of which included bloody huge pieces of steel flying through the air.
  15. Thanks for this post, especially from the too often "forgotten war." One minor point I learned from having had the honor to be close friends with General Ray Davis USMC, who received the CMOH in the same war near the same place Linky-worth a look, such men never refer to themselves as having "earned" or "won" the medal but rather humbly say they "received" it--and usually add, on behalf of all those who did not return from the battle.