US SOF Hostage Rescue--Well done those men

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Jan 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I often wonder why the US revels in the term 'Commando' which, of course, was coined by the Boers and made famous by their former evil Imperial Master and over-taxer of Tea - Great Britain? I'm sure that the self-proclaimed birthplace of 'ingenuity' would be able to come up with a more appropriate homespun term.... How about 'Marauder'? Mr. Merrill seemed to build a solid, though somewhat dubious, brand under that moniker.

By the by, while enjoying the Commando Course myself (basically unchanged since WW2 of course because it would be too much trouble and red tape), I was also amused by a few 'speshul' US chappies on the course who were struggling mightily.

Regardless, enough of this gay banter, bloody well done to the SOF (Septic Operations Forces) and Africa Command. I'm out for a beer tomorrow night to revel in the commemoration of the 40th anniversary of one of 1 PARA's favourite unofficial battle honours: Bloody Sunday, and shall raise a glass to those (paradoxically and quintessentially American) testosterone charged and politically correct fellows.

Now get going on the rest of them, there's a good bunch of lads.
  2. Now be fair Canader. The headline was by Reuters--hardly a Septic source. I take your point about the technical term --having been through the RM CTC (many years ago) and while it is impossible to speak for all Americans, in my small experience with our special operations forces, I do not recall any of us using the term "commando."
  3. I have to agree. I don't hear the term "commando" used much except when someone is describing their "sans underwear" status.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Reuters is American? since when?
  5. Indeed, very well done to that team.
  6. Point of info, the USAF certainly used to have 'Air Commandos' who, as far as I can gather, used to wear rather fetching hats with one side of the brim turned up like Aussies. Given that the USAF is about as gay as the RAF, i.e. very gay indeed, that's probably the extent of their specialness. Unless some sort of latex underwear was involved, that'd be pretty special.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Wonder who the eyes and ears on the ground were?
    The really special guys.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Erm.....I think you mean the REALLY REALLY (AND VERY) SPECIAL GUYS shhhhhhhhhh..........
    • Like Like x 1
  9. And the SEAL chaps have done such a Jolly Good Job, they're securing a 40 year old prison ship to keep them in. At least it seems to have the right sized tanning deck on the back to accommodate those big muscles!

The Pentagon is rushing to send a large floating base for commando teams to the Middle East as tensions rise with Iran, al-Qaeda in Yemen and Somali pirates, among other threats.

In response to requests from U.S. Central Command, which oversees military operations in the Middle East, the Navy is converting an aging warship it had planned to decommission into a makeshift staging base for the commandos. Unofficially dubbed a “mothership,” the floating base could accommodate smaller high-speed boats and helicopters commonly used by Navy SEALs, procurement documents show.

Pentagon wants commando “mothership” - The Washington Post
  10. How very dare you disarm me with logic and southern charm, sir! Harrumph...
  11. I found this gem in the comments section of reuters

aninonymous wrote:
    Congratulations to the Navy Seals.
    Congratulations to the two freed hostages.
    But, was it necessary to kill the Somali men?
    Is there no other option but to create more enemies, ie, their sons, their families and friends.
    Can we think of other ways to combat violence than just more violence so that the cycle never ends?
    Desperate people do desperate acts.
    Can President Obama reach out to the Somali people in some way?
  12. Well I certainly concur with the sentiments of whoever the author is. Violence on top of violence simply begets more violence. As Churchill memorably put it: "Jaw Jaw is better than War War".

Having been to Somalia twice, I can honestly say that I would prefer to see the Somali's treated with gifts and flowers, smiles and kind words, rather than bombs and bullets.

Unfortunately, the Somali pirates and bandits are, in the main, nothing more than drug crazed murderers and rapists and simply do not respond to the soft approach. And since their MO is murder, kidnapping, extortion and rape, there is really only one viable response.

Well done the SEALS!
    • Like Like x 2