US Sky Marshal Negligent Discharge

Just picke up a news piece on the TV that a US Sky Marshal has "accidentally discharged" his firearm during a flight.
No one was injured but the aircraft was damaged.

I am prepared to bet that his firearm was one of the the oh so safe Glocks as issued to our own police.

Somehow I am not reasured by having armed security on aircraft.

Dog-faced-soldier said:
Just picke up a news piece on the TV that a US Sky Marshal has "accidentally discharged" his firearm during a flight.

I am prepared to bet that his firearm was one of the the oh so safe Glocks as issued to our own police.

And the alternative in case of hijack is? It's so easy to criticise but much more difficult to come up with another solution. As for NDs , unfortunately as long as we have humans handling weapons they will happen.

craftsmanx said:
Dog-faced-soldier said:

And the alternative in case of hijack is? It's so easy to criticise but much more difficult to come up with another solution. As for NDs , unfortunately as long as we have humans handling weapons they will happen.
The solution is screening and security before people get on the aircraft. Duh. Why would weapons on a plane be a good thing?

weapons would be good in case snakes got loose like in that film. ive forgotten what it was called.

Tens of thousands of flights….statistically it is going to happen. Thankfully no one was injured.

When I first left the Army, I worked for BA at Heathrow. There were more countries than you would think that used sky marshals on their aircraft, the obvious one being El Al.

Heathrow Police used to talk about the occasional ND. Police would rock up to the aircraft after the pax disembarked to take the weapons into the Heathrow armoury, and when these guys were unloading their weapons, Bang!. they also used to talk about the very poor state of the weapons - ie they would unload the magazine and occasional it was rusty. Not sure that this applied to El Al who must be more switched on....

Dog-faced-soldier said:

Guns dont ND themselves Mutt Mush Squaddie.

Here we go:

A gun belonging to the pilot of a US Airways plane went off as the aircraft was on approach to land in North Carolina over the weekend, the first time a weapon issued under a federal program to arm pilots was fired, authorities said.

The "accidental discharge" Saturday aboard Flight 1536 from Denver, Colorado, to Charlotte, North Carolina, did not endanger the aircraft or the 124 passengers, two pilots and three flight attendants aboard, said Greg Alter of the Federal Air Marshal Service.

"We know that there was never any danger to the aircraft or to the occupants on board," Alter said Monday.

It is the first time a pilot's weapon has been fired on a plane under a program created after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks to allow pilots and others to use a firearm to defend against any act of air piracy or criminal violence, he said.

The federal Transportation Security Administration is investigating how the gun discharged and is being assisted by the Air Marshal Service, Alter said. Officials did not say where the bullet hit.

The service declined to release additional details.

Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Mike Fergus said his agency is also investigating to make sure that the plane is safe. The Airbus A319 has been removed from service, the airline said.

If that bullet had compromised the shell of the airplane, i.e., gone through a window, the airplane could have gone down.

The TSA initially opposed the Flight Deck Officer program to arm and train cockpit personnel. Agency officials worried that introducing a weapon to commercial flights was dangerous and that other security improvements made it unnecessary. Congress and pilots backed the program.

"The TSA has never been real supportive of this program," said Mike Boyd, who runs the Colorado-based aviation consulting firm The Boyd Group. "It's something I think Congress kind of put on them."

Pilots must volunteer, take a psychological test and complete a weeklong firearms training program run by the government to keep a gun in the cockpit.

Boyd said he supports the program to arm pilots, saying, "if somebody who has the ability to fly a 747 across the Pacific wants a gun, you give it to them." But he said Saturday's incident could have been much worse.

"If that bullet had compromised the shell of the airplane, i.e., gone through a window, the airplane could have gone down," he said.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/25/national/main3965159.shtml

Yeah I saw that DEA school lecture ND a few weeks ago - couldn't beleive it - numpty.

Almost on a par with that yank that got skelped with the ricochet from his .50cal barrett rifle - he was lucky it only hit his ear defender - pure class.

I know of a chap who's name had been bandied about as being an "infamous" victim of an ND by the chap on the firing point next to him. I met him on a course last year sporting a couple of self cauterised entry and exit wounds in his leg. lucky guy.

if you're reading this Steven D*****t RLC hope you're well :D

hogspawn said:
Dog-faced-soldier said:

Guns dont ND themselves Mutt Mush Squaddie.
You are quite right. equally there are very few occasions where the term "accidental discharge" is appropriate. "You pulled the trigger and it went off, how is that an accident?"

craftsmanx said:
Dog-faced-soldier said:

My bold. The alternative is not allowing weapons on the plane and locking the cockpit door.

"We know that there was never any danger to the aircraft or to the occupants on board,"

Oh fukin really! That bullet had to go somewhere. And there are not many places in an aircraft for it to go except into the aircraft or into a body. there was significant danger. It is sheer luck that a tragedy didnt happen.

Z

Zarathustra

I've never understood how it's possible to have a Naughty Dennis. Admittedly accidents do happen, and i've seen a quality example preformed by an officer exiting a viking.

However, i've spent days moonwalking around the Greenzone with a loaded and made ready LMG and have never (touch wood) had one. what do peopel do, take the safety off and play with the trigger?

Mongs

Without prejudging the investigation, I would have thought that the following is clear.

1. The weapon was loaded.
2. The weapon was made ready
3. The safety catch (or whatever the Glock equivilent is) was off
4. The weapon was either being handled, at the time, or something released the action.

None of this really makes me feel safer.

*Note I do not and have never carried a pistol on a day to day basis, so some of the above may be total bollox. However I cannot see that anyone inside a locked cockpit would ever need to access a weapon that quickly that is needs to be kept with a round chambered.

iamaviking said:
weapons would be good in case snakes got loose like in that film. ive forgotten what it was called.
Titanic?

crow_bag said:
I've never understood how it's possible to have a Naughty Dennis. Admittedly accidents do happen, and i've seen a quality example preformed by an officer exiting a viking.

However, i've spent days moonwalking around the Greenzone with a loaded and made ready LMG and have never (touch wood) had one. what do peopel do, take the safety off and play with the trigger?

Mongs
I've had two. Once unloading an unfamiliar weapon at the end of range practice I cycled the action and then went to ease springs - BANG. RO reckoned it wasn't negligent but I gave myself a bolocking.

Second one, fifteen years later, wiping blood off rifle with a piece of rag. Caught trigger - BANG.
Just piss poor drills and complacency on my part in this case. (And being harassed by a dog at the same time!)

Both occasions the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction so no unfortunate consequences.

It can happen to anyone - the more you carry a loaded weapon the more chance you'll have an ND. Odds are it'll be when you are doing something that took you outside of your drills as in both my cases.

crow_bag said:

Mongs
My thoughts entirely, and no doubt those of many others right up until the moment they did it. Fact is, you're careful, dilligent, professional, keen, and scrupulous about weapon states and drills - it can't happen to you, can it?

I don't recommend it as the way meet the Brigadier for the first time - even if I subsequently found out that he'd met Dennis himself. :oops:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Jobs (Discussion) 43
G The Intelligence Cell 25
PartTimePongo Current Affairs, News and Analysis 0