• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

US Ship close to opening fire on Iranian Vessel

#3
cant believe an American was able to restrain himself from letting rip with everything he had at his disposal, shows the difference between the US land and Naval forces.
 
#4
never thought I'd say this but good on the Americans for restraining those over eager trigger fingers, and from preventing a war..... and most of all, for not taking any sh*t off of the rag tag guerillas.
 
#5
This is from the New York Times:

The incident occurred at about 5 a.m. local time Sunday as a U.S. Navy cruiser, destroyer and frigate were transiting the strait on their way into the Persian Gulf.

''Five small boats were acting in a very aggressive way, charging the ships, dropping boxes in the water in front of the ships and causing our ships to take evasive maneuvers,'' the Pentagon official said.

''There were no injuries but there very well could have been,'' he said, adding that the Iranian boats turned away ''literally at the very moment that U.S. forces were preparing to open fire'' in self defense.

He said he didn't have the precise transcript of communications that passed between the two forces, but the Iranians radioed something to the effect that ''we're coming at you and you'll explode in a couple minutes.''
Now that could have been very nasty.
 
#7
I guess the Iranians were bound to make some yippy little terrier gesture to assert themselves, seeing that Bush is about to visit the region...

I hope that was it in the action department though, and they'll just stick to amusing ranty rhetoric for the next bit.
 
#8
disagree totally.

if they had blown the little fookers up, they might see the west means business.

and what if the iranians had bombed the ships ? - the yanks would have looked pretty silly

H.
 
#9
I'm sure an arrser mentioned a 'multiple fast boat' type tactic against the might of the US navy some time ago... maybe they read it and thought they'd give it a try.

TB
 
#10
hemingway said:
disagree totally.

if they had blown the little fookers up, they might see the west means business.

and what if the iranians had bombed the ships ? - the yanks would have looked pretty silly

H.
Thats why they did though isn't it... its a win-win for the Iranians.

If the Yanks shot them all then its 'oppressive USA huge gun boat picks on small Iranian vessel', Iranians get the Middle East sympathy vote and spawns a new generation of 'freedom fighters'.

If Iran sinks the USA ship... well, massive victory for Iran, and is the USA in a position to declare war?

TB
 
#11
TopBadger said:
hemingway said:
disagree totally.

if they had blown the little fookers up, they might see the west means business.

and what if the iranians had bombed the ships ? - the yanks would have looked pretty silly

H.
Thats why they did though isn't it... its a win-win for the Iranians.

If the Yanks shot them all then its 'oppressive USA huge gun boat picks on small Iranian vessel', Iranians get the Middle East sympathy vote and spawns a new generation of 'freedom fighters'.

If Iran sinks the USA ship... well, massive victory for Iran, and is the USA in a position to declare war?

TB
sadly, this is very true.

i used to think that we shouldnt have invaded iraq, but now we are there, we should sort it out.

how silly that was.

perhaps we should get out, and stay out. the events on boxing day convinced me of that.

ps, i DONT want WW3 - but whos to say not acting increases the risks more than acting decisively.

H.

edited for (some) typos
 
#13
Wishful_Thinking said:
This is from the New York Times:

The incident occurred at about 5 a.m. local time Sunday as a U.S. Navy cruiser, destroyer and frigate were transiting the strait on their way into the Persian Gulf.

''Five small boats were acting in a very aggressive way, charging the ships, dropping boxes in the water in front of the ships and causing our ships to take evasive maneuvers,'' the Pentagon official said.

''There were no injuries but there very well could have been,'' he said, adding that the Iranian boats turned away ''literally at the very moment that U.S. forces were preparing to open fire'' in self defense.

He said he didn't have the precise transcript of communications that passed between the two forces, but the Iranians radioed something to the effect that ''we're coming at you and you'll explode in a couple minutes.''
Now that could have been very nasty.
Well they've been attacked before by suicide bombers, I don't think anyone would have blamed the Captain if he had have fired first.
 
#14
TopBadger said:
I'm sure an arrser mentioned a 'multiple fast boat' type tactic against the might of the US navy some time ago... maybe they read it and thought they'd give it a try.

TB
During an exercise against the USN the CO OPFOR decided on just this asymetric tactic - USMC Col Ripper IIRC ( top name btw ).

It was so efficient that the DS had to tell him to stop.
 
#16
Lt-General Paul van Riper was the chap to whom you refer, B_B. IIRC, he wasn't directly told to stop - the DS had an operational pause and refloated the several ships that he'd sunk.

IIRC, the DS then imposed ROE on Red force and ISTR that they attempted to force Van Riper into revealing the location of some of his forces - Blue hadn't been able to find them, but the DS concluded that Blue (read US) ISTAR dominance meant that being unable to locate the enemy was an unrealistic notion(!). Van Riper said 'Thanks for your time, gentlemen' and resigned from the game - he then sent an e-mail to some friends in which he complained about what he saw as the head-in-sand attitude of the gamecon, and this was promptly leaked to the Army Times.
 
#17
Well I think I did all right from memory..

Plus Ripper just sounds Nails.
 
#18
You may depend that the Navy crews had very tight rules of engagement as the last thing anyone wants (even the Americans) with $100 oil is for the straits to be closed due to an incident. Having said that if they really were only 200 yards away then the temptation to pull the trigger must have been very strong if they are coming at you at 40kmh
 
#19
The yanks would have treated this as an attack against their vessels. We treat our lads being captured by Iranians as something we should do every few years!

Other than the size of the boats involved what is the difference. Why do we keep donating members of 3CDO Bde to Iran whereas the yanks point big guns at them and say FCUK OFF!
 
#20
Appologies if already posted somewhere.

According to the Daily Mirror, "US warships came within seconds of firing at Iranian gunboats in a showdown that brought the countries to the brink of conflict.

An American captain ordered his men to battle stations after receiving a radio transmission that said: "I'm coming at you! You will explode in two minutes!"


The Daily Mirror

The kind people at The Mirror also drew nice pictures so we can get a better understanding of what happened...you'll notice that the Iranians were using OUR weapons they nicked off the Andrew, though I couldn't see if they had the little fat bloke's ipod!!!
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top