Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Sailors in firefight with an 8ft shark.... and a unicorn...

A little bit of background on this, his (Jeselnik's) family got death threats from New Zealand over this.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
'Hands To bathe ' is/was a standard routine for RN ships.....and in tropical waters a guy is always nominated as 'Shark Guard'.

Some of the old and bold will be along shortly to swing the lamp and spin dits about swimming in the [Insert name of seven seas/five Oceans here] to amaze the pore shore-bound pongoes :)

e.g ' Call that a shark ?....Bah...when I was in the old Ustafish we....etc etc '

Ping @Ravers ,
@supermatelot ,
@Ninja_Stoker

( My own rather dull experience was a dip in the bracing North Sea about 50 miles off the Danish coast....surprisingly clear water, plenty of jellyfish, thankfully not too many Nobby Clarks.)

In your own time....carry on.

Well, no personal experience but an ex navy guy i used to work with swore blind that the job of the guy on shark sentry in the event of an attack, was to shoot the victim. I have heard this elsewhere since, but still cant believe it!

A little bit of background on this, his (Jeselnik's) family got death threats from New Zealand over this.

The most offensive thing here is wearing a jacket with an untucked shirt - the savages!

In Afghanistan, used to see a lot of mini-whirlwind, usually about 5-10 feet tall.......
Saw lots of those in Sudan, locals called them djinn, (spirits). Supposed to be the origin of the stories of genies, since they can appear, wander about and disappear, can grow from roughly man size to fifty foot tall.
I never found the lamp

Chef

LE
There must be a medal and combat action ribbon being commissioned for this brave act by Petty Officer 1st Class Cintron. He undoubtedly saved the lives of these 40 US Coast Guard sailors with his actions.. Certain death beckoned at the jaws of the 8ft killer shark hunting them down as they swam in the Pacific... I hope the part that Charlie the inflatable unicorn played in this firefight isn't forgotten in his citation... Charlie's self-sacrifice was key in drawing Sharky away at the end as the sailors were pulled to safety.... and the unicorn drifted off into the horizon.... who knows his fate.... poor Charlie...

Nah he's fine, a little shaken but ok:

Luckily, all crew members made it safely out of the water. "We even saved the inflatable unicorn!" USCGC said.

Saw lots of those in Sudan, locals called them djinn, (spirits). Supposed to be the origin of the stories of genies, since they can appear, wander about and disappear, can grow from roughly man size to fifty foot tall.
I never found the lamp

I’ve come across the smaller versions around five or six foot tall a couple of times whirling around the hard mud tracks in the de-militarised zone in Cyprus back in 1976 while on a UN tour.

Never saw one on a metalled tarmac road. I don’t know if there’s a reason for that?

If my paying guests wanted to swim off the boat I'd oblige but my twitching shit-house rat impression combined with all the crew staring intently from the rigging usually dulled their enjoyment.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I love hands to bathe. I’m surprised that in these days of health and safety it’s still allowed.

Looking at newer ships, one wonders how they do it? Not many spots to jump off a 45 due to it not having waists and the phalanx decks are too high unless you’re brave.

I was one of only 3 or 4 people who had the plums to jump off the bridge wing (On a 42) on one of our deployments.

...and how were said plums after hitting the water in your fashionable baggy swimming shorts? Up near your tonsils ? :)

Don't stop there, the lamp is there to be swung....

' Just off Haiphong/Beira/English Harbour/Cocoa Beach we were, in the [ suitably exotic] Sea, ....it was redders and when the Jimmy made the pipe 'Hands to Bathe' it was like Day 1 of the Harrods sale.....etc etc '

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
...and how were said plums after hitting the water in your fashionable baggy swimming shorts? Up near your tonsils ? :)

Don't stop there, the lamp is there to be swung....

' Just off Haiphong/Beira/English Harbour/Cocoa Beach we were, in the [ suitably exotic] Sea, ....it was redders and when the Jimmy made the pipe 'Hands to Bathe' it was like Day 1 of the Harrods sale.....etc etc '

The best hands to bathe we ever did was a mile or two of Tiamon Island after a big 3 or 4 week long exercise.

Usually you only get an hour or two in the water, but we were there for a whole day.

Had the sea boats razzing around giving people jollies, BBQ on the flight deck.

Basically a beach day, but on a warship instead of a beach.

One of the rare occasions when the grownups just said “fuck it, let the lads just do what they want.”

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’ve come across the smaller versions around five or six foot tall a couple of times whirling around the hard mud tracks in the de-militarised zone in Cyprus back in 1976 while on a UN tour.

Never saw one on a metalled tarmac road. I don’t know if there’s a reason for that?

They can travel over metalled and tarmac roads, regular occurance in andvaround Riyadh when I was a sprog

'Hands To bathe ' is/was a standard routine for RN ships.....and in tropical waters a guy is always nominated as 'Shark Guard'.

Some of the old and bold will be along shortly to swing the lamp and spin dits about swimming in the [Insert name of seven seas/five Oceans here] to amaze the pore shore-bound pongoes :)

e.g ' Call that a shark ?....Bah...when I was in the old Ustafish we....etc etc '

Ping @Ravers ,
@supermatelot ,
@Ninja_Stoker

( My own rather dull experience was a dip in the bracing North Sea about 50 miles off the Danish coast....surprisingly clear water, plenty of jellyfish, thankfully not too many Nobby Clarks.)

In your own time....carry on.

Late 80s middle of the Indian Ocean and Hands to Bathe. Not being keen on jumping into the oggin from the side of the ship, after much hesitation I eventually plucked up courage and jumped in from the fo'c'sle. As I stepped off somebody spotted a nobby - "shark" came the shout. Have you every seen those cartoons where the characters are falling through the air and are scrabbling with their hands and feet trying to claw their way back up? That was I. It didn't work. I may have been the last to enter the water but I shit you not I wasn't the last out of it.

Blistering hot day of the SW coast of Ireland. The sea looked a sheet of polished steel. Hands to bathe piped. Feet burning on the flight deck . Jumped into the oggin...Feckkkk. Thought My heart was going to stop,it was that cold. That was enough of that.

There must be a medal and combat action ribbon being commissioned for this brave act by Petty Officer 1st Class Cintron. He undoubtedly saved the lives of these 40 US Coast Guard sailors with his actions.. Certain death beckoned at the jaws of the 8ft killer shark hunting them down as they swam in the Pacific... I hope the part that Charlie the inflatable unicorn played in this firefight isn't forgotten in his citation... Charlie's self-sacrifice was key in drawing Sharky away at the end as the sailors were pulled to safety.... and the unicorn drifted off into the horizon.... who knows his fate.... poor Charlie...
Firefight? was the Shark Shooting back?

bob231

War Hero
What does one do when the Captain gives the order to 'Abandon ship' then these days.
"Fall a really long way". Especially as T45 has bulwarks (big metal plates) along the upper deck rather than easily removed guard rails. However, in a Once Only Survival Suit it would be less bad... and I doubt abandoning was included in the T45 design decisions.

I've done Hands to Bathe pretty recently from a T23 off Oman, felt like a long enough way down even from the waist there! We only had a pink flamingo, none of this unicorn nonsense.

Latest Threads