Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Sailors in firefight with an 8ft shark.... and a unicorn...

There must be a medal and combat action ribbon being commissioned for this brave act by Petty Officer 1st Class Cintron. He undoubtedly saved the lives of these 40 US Coast Guard sailors with his actions.. Certain death beckoned at the jaws of the 8ft killer shark hunting them down as they swam in the Pacific... I hope the part that Charlie the inflatable unicorn played in this firefight isn't forgotten in his citation... Charlie's self-sacrifice was key in drawing Sharky away at the end as the sailors were pulled to safety.... and the unicorn drifted off into the horizon.... who knows his fate.... poor Charlie...

Last edited:
Charlie's self-sacrifice was key in drawing Sharky away at the end as the sailors were pulled to safety.... and the unicorn drifted off into the horizon.... who knows his fate.... poor Charlie...

@unicornlivesmatter?

In Afghanistan, used to see a lot of mini-whirlwind, usually about 5-10 feet tall. I had a passenger was supposed to be top-cover, but sat in passenger seat through the sandy parts and had never ventured that far away from populated areas, so had never seen these before, and when he first saw one, all he saw was a random zig-zag movement appear from nowhere, cocked his weapon and was about to open fire. I had to explain to him that it was only the wind.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
There must be a medal and combat action ribbon being commissioned for this brave act by Petty Officer 1st Class Cintron. He undoubtedly saved the lives of these 40 US Coast Guard sailors with his actions..

'Hands To bathe ' is/was a standard routine for RN ships.....and in tropical waters a guy is always nominated as 'Shark Guard'.

Some of the old and bold will be along shortly to swing the lamp and spin dits about swimming in the [Insert name of seven seas/five Oceans here] to amaze the pore shore-bound pongoes :)

e.g ' Call that a shark ?....Bah...when I was in the old Ustafish we....etc etc '

Ping @Ravers ,
@supermatelot ,
@Ninja_Stoker

( My own rather dull experience was a dip in the bracing North Sea about 50 miles off the Danish coast....surprisingly clear water, plenty of jellyfish, thankfully not too many Nobby Clarks.)

In your own time....carry on.

'Hands To bathe ' is/was a standard routine for RN ships.....and in tropical waters a guy is always nominated as 'Shark Guard'.

Some of the old and bold will be along shortly to swing the lamp and spin dits about swimming in the [Insert name of seven seas/five Oceans here] to amaze the pore shore-bound pongoes :)

e.g ' Call that a shark ?....Bah...when I was in the old Ustafish we....etc etc '

Ping @Ravers ,
@supermatelot ,
@Ninja_Stoker

( My own rather dull experience was a dip in the bracing North Sea about 50 miles off the Danish coast....surprisingly clear water, plenty of jellyfish, thankfully not too many Nobby Clarks.)

Shark watch? The game no squaddie ever played?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Ping @Ravers ,
@supermatelot ,
@Ninja_Stoker

I love hands to bathe. I’m surprised that in these days of health and safety it’s still allowed.

Looking at newer ships, one wonders how they do it? Not many spots to jump off a 45 due to it not having waists and the phalanx decks are too high unless you’re brave.

I was one of only 3 or 4 people who had the plums to jump off the bridge wing (On a 42) on one of our deployments.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I love hands to bathe. I’m surprised that in these days of health and safety it’s still allowed.

Looking at newer ships, one wonders how they do it? Not many spots to jump off a 45 due to it not having waists and the phalanx decks are too high unless you’re brave.

I was one of only 3 or 4 people who had the plums to jump off the bridge wing (On a 42) on one of our deployments.

The Galahad (second one) was ideal for such things, the rear ramp was lowered, out came the jet ski and so on.

But we had it hard in them days...

philc

LE

Pah, try hands to bathe of Hermes.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
North Sea about 50 miles off the Danish coast..
Plenty? Pah. Try a RAC Regatta (other regattas were available) out of Kiel in the Waters South of Fyn (the chart was called) and you could have walked from Kiel to Marstel on the jellyfish..

Looked to me like that shark was swanning around shouting out, “5.56... Pah!... I piss all over it!!”

Bring back the King! :)

I hope the part that Charlie the inflatable unicorn played in this firefight isn't forgotten in his citation..

I would like to make it clear to the house, that I am not, nor have I ever been, an inflatable unicorn.

Nor did I have relations with one.

Latest Threads