US sacks top military commander in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, May 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

The top US military commander in Afghanistan was sacked today after both the Pentagon and the White House decided that “fresh thinking” was needed to win the war.

General David McKiernan, who has spent just 11 months in charge of Nato forces in Afghanistan, will be replaced by Lieutenant-General Stanley McChrystal who previously led the special operations command and is credited with killing the leader of Al-Qaeda in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. Lieutenant-General David Rodriguez will be handed a new position of deputy commander of US forces in Afghanistan.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6269236.ece

2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Obama sounds pretty wet and woolly to me but this sounds as if the US are getting serious and ready to go for the throat.

3. Can anyone enlighten me on the origins of the name McChrystal?

4. From Yorkshire allegedly. LINK

5. Off topic I know but, if you lot will indulge me:

I thought it was some sort of pretend made up American name to begin with, or even a warped pseudo Celtic Jewish name (they're into naming themselves after shiny things).

Still, not entirely convinced about it being Yorkshire Anglo-Saxon. What self respecting Anglo-Saxon is going to stick a Celtic Mac in front of his name*, which bizarrely resembles a Greek word for hard shiny thing more than anything else (unless you bring Jesus into it...)

*Unless he was a joint celtic - angosaxon effort - still doesn't explain the Chrystal business though...

Ok ok I'll shut up and let you get on with Septic Afghan command now...

6. When will the Americans realise that some wars last longer than 10 minutes!?

7. I say appearances (sounds?) count for little... but I agree, the 'changing of the guard' may prove more noteworthy.

8. Nomenclature aside, this McChrystal character has a history of going for the gut. He's credited with getting al-Zarqawi and commanded SOCOM so he's dynamic at least. It just seems ironic that, just 3 months after the announced troop surge, an officer with a history of operating smaller scale units could take command from an officer who championed the surge.

9. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It will be interesting to see what style of approach he will take. Will he move away from the stand off use of airstrikes etc, to a more surgical approach utilising the men on the ground? How will he build upon the lessons learned from Iraq and the Petreaus Doctrine?

Indeed what will this mean for our own methods?

10. My top tip is that the US are getting ready to redefine victory, pop smoke and GTFO of AFG in fairly short order. This isn't an Obama / Bush thing, its the realisation that fighting an unwinnable war while a nuclear exchange takes place on your MSRs is a pretty dumb thing to do. The US will not commit to AFG for the decades necessary to establish lasting change - I'd go for the best part of a century myself - and so it's time to go.

11. Sounds about right to me

12. I note that the new general wears what appear to be,Brit para wings.I suspect therefor,that he's known over here?

13. That link is from a USA "heraldry bucket shop" no credence whatsoever, pure ignorant drivel

Try your own name and have a good giggle

Deefer

14. I really couldn't care less if the new CG in AFG was called Fungus the B4starding Bogeyman if he is going to have a good crack at the situation.

Nor would I use the opportunity for a cheap anti-semitic jibe based on the oddities of trade-guild naming in 14th century Mitteleuropa and the vagaries of Ellis Island desk-officers...for shame cupoftea.

15. Some of this may be that Gen Patreus doesn't see eye to eye on with Gen Mckiernan. They had clashes over issues in Iraq. However, Gen Mckiernan was more aggressive and robust in his apporach to dealing with the Afghan problem than than Gen McNeil so it will be interesting to see what the new guy will do. At least there will still be one US general in charge of the country rather than the 2 which is what it was up until July last year. This lead to confusion over the ISAF and OEF missions.

It does seems though that you need to have some form of Celtic ancestry to get to 4* in the US Army.
    Last 2 ISAF Commanders - Gen Dan McNeil, Gen David Mckiernan
    New guy - McChrystal.