US, Russia agree on arms treaty & plan to sign it in Prague

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100324/ap_on_re_us/us_russia_nuclear

The United States and Russia have reached an agreement on "all documents" necessary to sign a new nuclear arms treaty, a senior Kremlin official said Wednesday, and the White House said the two nations are "very close" to signing it.

Czech officials announced that Prague will host the signing of the new U.S.-Russian treaty to reduce long-range nuclear weapons that would replace the 1991 Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty. They did not give a date.
Such a coincidece. I plan to visit Prague soon.

Good news although surprised it hasn't happened soon. When you both own enough nuclear weapons to effectively destroy the world three or four times over, cutting the numbers so you both only have enough to destroy the world twice over and reduce the related costs seems fairly logical to me. Having redundancy is good but above a certain point just gets a little bit silly.

Brick said:
Good news although surprised it hasn't happened soon. When you both own enough nuclear weapons to effectively destroy the world three or four times over, cutting the numbers so you both only have enough to destroy the world twice over and reduce the related costs seems fairly logical to me. Having redundancy is good but above a certain point just gets a little bit silly.
I agree. It's akin to two men sitting in a vat of petrol and arguing who has the most matches.

bullet_catcher said:
At * last. The agreement, I mean, not your visit.
By the way I stayed in Hilton where pres.Obama decided to stay and saw a lot of our American friends (security personnel). It's interesting are there arrsers among them?

Out of the theme. That time there were riots in Kyrgyzstan and I suspect that some representatives of the ousted pres.Bakiyev flew to Prague to seek a support from the Americans. One Asian looking guy asked in Russian another one (who apparently just have shaved his beard) - how deep in the swimming pool? I answered - one and half meter.

Latest Threads