US returns fire on Taliban inside Pakistan

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Jul 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

It's about time, especially after the 9 Dead US Soldiers!

US returns fire on Taliban inside Pakistan

By BILL ROGGIOJuly 16, 2008 9:40 AM

The situation on Afghan-Pakistani border has heated up as US forces attacked a Taliban position inside Pakistan. Meanwhile, reports from North Waziristan indicate US forces are massing across the border in Afghanistan's eastern provinces of Paktia, Paktika, and Khost, sparking fears of a US ground incursion into Pakistan's tribal areas.

US soldiers from Task Force Currahee was on the receiving end of "multiple rocket attacks" launched from inside Pakistan on July 15, the International Security Assistance Force reported. After pinpointing the firing location inside Pakistan, responded "with a combination of fires from attack helicopters and artillery into Pakistan."

2. Yeah right, cos they've never done that before.

3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Idiot? Sorry I'm not getting your point here!

Did you mean they never had killed before or we never attacked bases in Pakistan before? (Which we have.) Actually I thought the build up on the border by our forces was the most important part of the article.

BTW: The 9 soldiers KIA were from the 173th Airborne Brigade Combat Team:

Names of 173rd Airborne paratroopers KIA

DoD Identifies Army Casualties

The Department of Defense announced today the death of nine soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. They died of wounds suffered when their outpost was attacked by small arms fire and rocket propelled grenades from enemy forces in Wanat, Afghanistan, on July 13. They were assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 503d Infantry Regiment (Airborne), 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team, Vicenza, Italy.

Killed were:

1st Lt. Jonathan P. Brostrom, 24, of Hawaii.

Sgt. Israel Garcia, 24, of Long Beach, Calif.

Cpl. Jonathan R. Ayers, 24, of Snellville, Ga.

Cpl. Jason M. Bogar, 25, of Seattle, Wash.

Cpl. Jason D. Hovater, 24, of Clinton, Tenn.

Cpl. Matthew B. Phillips, 27, of Jasper, Ga.

Cpl. Pruitt A. Rainey, 22, of Haw River, N.C.

Cpl. Gunnar W. Zwilling, 20, of Florissant, Mo.

Pfc. Sergio S. Abad, 21, of Morganfield, Ky.
  4. I got it he said you are an idiot, you thick fucking cunt.
  5. I heard they were planning on renaming this section "Trip-Wire's stars and stripes dungeon"

Isn't getting all worked up about nine blokes getting killed sort of playing into the hands of the enemy?

While the tragedy personally effects many people, how long does it take for the US army to reach 9 fatalities in Afghan? Months maybe?
  6. Months?

US losses in Afghanistan are not as high as Iraq at it's worst, but still more than any other country. Since when has the US gotten "worked up" about losses?
  7. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I don't know, but I thought your post on this was sort of idiotic and thoughtless!

This loss of life is felt at every level of the military, starting with the 173th Airborne Brigade Combat Team and their fellow soldiers, to the parents and relatives of these soldiers as well as most caring Americans.

I see no relevance at all in how long it takes to accumulate causalities on any battle front in the GWOT. As for the enemy, I'm sure they have an idea of how many they KIA or WIA as well as their losses.

I also notice that your armed forces, usually announce their losses in the media as well.

8. I'm gonna take a picture for you if I can remember to. It's of a police/local government building in a small town that I pass by every day on the way to work.

The small green lawn out front is covered in white crosses and the flag constantly at half mast.

Since when does the US get worked up over losses? Always, even you Brits you unappreciative pricks.
  9. I am American, you brainless invertebrate. Brush up on your reading comprehension, dick.
  10. Yeah, thanks for the wind up. Not biting. Now stop being an ass hat and go troll elsewhere.
  11. Aren't the lads involved in this from the 503rd??

The same lads' whose Easy Company of the Regiment was featured in Band of Brothers?

I'm sure it is.

Stop giving the chap a shoeing and show a bit of decorum lads.

12. Read the post that I was responding to (Imshi-Yallah) and try to figure out what I wrote. :roll:
  13. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

You completely misunderstood what Ronnie was saying above ghost_us - he was actually objecting to the words "worked up", not saying people in the US don't care - now who's being a prick - I think it may be you?

As for the comment above, it was entirely uncalled for on a BRITISH military forum where many people reading this will have served in Iraq or Afghanistan and a fair few will have lost personal friends in one or the other - or both.

Now how about an apology for being an insensitive jackass - and perhaps you'd like to go and troll elsewhere.
  14. It is, except it's now assigned to the 173rd Airborne Brigade, not the 101st Airborne Division.
  15. Thanks Ronnie :D

I noticed that in the press release. Makes no difference though mate, they're still Airborne.

I'm not airborne, but I've family and friends who are/were.

I have a lot of respect for both our airborne bretheren and sympathise with your most recent losses mate.