• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

US Recruiting and Retention Figures March 2006

The figures themselves aren't amazing, as I think they're still some 25% less than they were two years ago. However, the link at the bottom showing 'who's joining up' is interesting.

NTM

These figures are only for March, and I'll hazard a guess that figures will go up and down throughout the year depending on when their major recruitment drives are.

Statisticians love to bullshit month by month, however you have to look at the long picture in order to gain a real insight into any numerical change in the recruitment position. It would be foolish for anybody to deny that recruitment hasn't fallen since the beginning of the war in Iraq, as even I as a loyal servant to HM would tell T Bliar and George F%Chwittt to go eat my sh^t if they think that I'd take a bullet for their personal ideals.

PassingBells said:
Nearly one half of American youth tend to be disqualified for health-related reasons, with obesity as the leading cause.
Some myths stand up then.
The major killer in Ireland is failing the hearing test. I've heard of figures of over half failing. All the walkmans, Ipods and loud discos, I guess.

NTM

California_Tanker said:
PassingBells said:
Nearly one half of American youth tend to be disqualified for health-related reasons, with obesity as the leading cause.
Some myths stand up then.
The major killer in Ireland is failing the hearing test. I've heard of figures of over half failing. All the walkmans, Ipods and loud discos, I guess.

NTM
Yeah I heard that too but I don't think hearing is any worse in Ireland, its that the standard is set ridiculously high.

Up until fairly recently the Army was telling soldiers to use cotton wool to protect their ears when firing. This was then upgraded to the use of wet cotton wool as clearly wet cotton wool is much more effective. AFAIK other Armies contacted the Irish Army warning them about the importance of proper hearing protection but the advice was ignored. So 1000's of soldiers unnecessarily lost their hearing and sued the government - and the government deserved it too.

Then the Irish Army panicked and decided to only take recruits with near perfect hearing (and they finally started issuing hearing protection). I was already in the Irish reserves at the time but I don't think they would take me now as my hearing is H2 as opposed to H1 which is perfect. Yet H2 is no problem for getting into the British Army.

Tricam.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Apr2006/20060411_4787.html

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said today he's encouraged that the military services are exceeding their recruiting targets and called it an indication of the caliber of men and women joining and serving in the armed services.

"It is encouraging that so many outstanding young people are continuing to raise their hands and volunteer to serve our country," he told Pentagon reporters.

The secretary referred to recruiting and retention rates released yesterday that show all four services met or exceeded their active-duty recruiting goals in March for the 10th consecutive month.
But what is the main motivation of 'outsranding young people'? If course it is not money. They would serve even without payment (btw, how it has been changed last years?). Apparently the only reason to join heroic American Armed forces is a desire to help peoples of Iraq and Afghanistan to establish true democracy.

For other possible motivations look at

http://stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=36417

'Srars and Stripes' is a very interesting edition

http://www.stripes.com/
http://stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=36418

Halfway through this fiscal year the Army has brought in only 31,369 new soldiers, 3.5 percent above what officials had hoped for at this point.

That’s only 39 percent of the service’s 80,000 soldier year-end goal. In order to reach that mark, they’ll have to increase the number of recruits dramatically over the next six months, including reaching goals of more than 30,000 new faces in July, August and September combined.
39% after a half fiscal year passed... 61% remains. And situation was not ideal in 2005

In fiscal 2005, the Army recruited nearly the same number of soldiers in the first half of the year — 32,105 — but found themselves 11 percent behind their targets, which officials set because they anticipated better winter recruiting, Smith said.

The force finished last year 6,627 soldiers short of its 80,000 recruiting goal.

Sergey.

Quote:
Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said today he's encouraged that the military services are exceeding their recruiting targets and called it an indication of the caliber of men and women joining and serving in the armed services.

"It is encouraging that so many outstanding young people are continuing to raise their hands and volunteer to serve our country," he told Pentagon reporters.

The secretary referred to recruiting and retention rates released yesterday that show all four services met or exceeded their active-duty recruiting goals in March for the 10th consecutive month.

But what is the main motivation of 'outsranding young people'? If course it is not money. They would serve even without payment (btw, how it has been changed last years?). Apparently the only reason to join heroic American Armed forces is a desire to help peoples of Iraq and Afghanistan to establish true democracy.

For other possible motivations look at

stripes.com/article.as...icle=36417

'Srars and Stripes' is a very interesting edition

www.stripes.com/
stripes.com/article.as...icle=36418

Quote:
Halfway through this fiscal year the Army has brought in only 31,369 new soldiers, 3.5 percent above what officials had hoped for at this point.

That’s only 39 percent of the service’s 80,000 soldier year-end goal. In order to reach that mark, they’ll have to increase the number of recruits dramatically over the next six months, including reaching goals of more than 30,000 new faces in July, August and September combined.

39% after a half fiscal year passed... 61% remains. And situation was not ideal in 2005

Quote:
In fiscal 2005, the Army recruited nearly the same number of soldiers in the first half of the year — 32,105 — but found themselves 11 percent behind their targets, which officials set because they anticipated better winter recruiting, Smith said.

The force finished last year 6,627 soldiers short of its 80,000 recruiting goal.

Sergey sometimes I get the distinct impression you don't like the US.
trust me we aren't that bad.

One thing that has not been mention is how the economy effects recruiting. When the economy is good, it is going to be more difficult to recruit people.

California_Tanker said:
KGB_resident said:
But what is the main motivation of 'outsranding young people'? If course it is not money.
Travel the world. See interesting cultures. Meet interesting people. Kill them.

What's not to like?

NTM
All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it.

Mark Twain
Mark Twain is my favorite writer. His perception of the World is my perception. And I believe that only America was able to produce such a genius. What do I like in Americans? Exellent sense of humour, self-irony, wide outlook (caused by huge territory of USA). Europeans sometimes don't see the whole picture, paying too much attention to details (though it is not a great sin).

Peter!

Of course I trust you and the Americans are not bad at all. All of them (with rare exceptions) are superb!

Our friend Andy made a point. With reference to American official news-source I demonstrated that he is not quite right. What anti-American do you see there? If you whould post some negative info about Russia then I would be rather pleased by attention and would at least try to answer.

Sergey, what does your average undernourished Russian recruit get paid to eat time-expired dogfood in a trench outside Grozny while he's waiting for periodic beatings from his officers/sargeants?

AndyPipkin said:
Sergey, what does your average undernourished Russian recruit get paid to eat time-expired dogfood in a trench outside Grozny while he's waiting for periodic beatings from his officers/sargeants?
Andy!

What is the source of your story? BBC? CNN? Reuters? Maybe AFP or AP?

Without a source it would be hard for me to comment.

KGB_resident said:
AndyPipkin said:
Andy!

Sergey! & Andy! et al!

This is loosely linked to what you've been discussing :

http://www.channel4.com/fourdocs/archive/soldat.html

Not sure if you can save it (I'm not a whiz with multimedia) but it's worth watching.

Random_Task said:
KGB_resident said:
AndyPipkin said:
Andy!

Sergey! & Andy! et al!

This is loosely linked to what you've been discussing :

http://www.channel4.com/fourdocs/archive/soldat.html

Not sure if you can save it (I'm not a whiz with multimedia) but it's worth watching.
Dear Random_Task!

Look at the title of this thread. It devoted to real (or imaginary) problems in American armed forces. Our friend Andy acused UK media in anti-American bias.

AndyPipkin said:
Put here rather than multinational because the UK media continually refer to a 'recruitment crisis' in the US military. Which is bollix:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2006/04/mil-060410-dod01.htm
I tried to deliver a counter-arguments. It is fair, it would be usefull for our friends, they will be better informed. Instead of continuation of the discussion out friend Andy prefered to change the theme. Nothing wrong with it. He is free to defend his point of view by all means. But it is not clear how recruiting problems in American army are connected with huge problems in Russian one.

By contrast I have never declared that these problems don't exist or are insignificant. Moreoverr I wellcome such discussions but only with facts (preferably in printed form) in hands. Alas I'm unable to watch the video, that you kindly proposed.

Latest Threads