US Rank slides: just "allyness" for Senior British Army Officers?

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by loopintheP, May 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Allyness......not rank aware!

Most will have observed a penchant for senior British Officers to adopt US military rank markings.

I can't say I've noticed any wholescale ignorance amongst US personnel of UK rank to the extent that it justifies amending our own uniform. It also seems to be limited to those of the most senior rank yet they are rarely mistaken not least due to presence of CP team, ADC, MA & Terp (or effin great photos on HQ walls) as witnessed in both Iraq and Afghan.

Nor does any other Allied partner appear to have adopted what seems a somewhat "subordinate" practice.

Cynicism aside is this a recognised form of Dress? Or put more bluntly are they all just as sad as the bloke with triangular sidies?

Phot is taken from the Daily Telegraph in downtown Kensington Palace.

Attached Files:

2. It is not his rank - that is worn as normal as can be seen on his chest - he is displaying the fact he is a 4 Star. I am guessing this is because of the numerous and repeated deployments of our Generals at joint HQs
  3. Is that a McDonalds rank slide stitched on his collars?
    • Like Like x 2
  4. You should write to him and call him a Septic Walt. Im sure he won't mind.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mr Trigger, asking him that would have a lot of value in fact.

If he looks at you with extreme indignation he obviously reads ARRSE. If he looks at you as if you're a Dutchman spewing random English words he evidently doesn't.
  6. Our uniform does not include "stars" so why are our senior officers wearing them....are Joint HQ so defunct that it is genuinely necessary? I've seen a Brit Lt Col wearing US rank on his collars.....whilst he looked a bit of a divvy was he wrong when SBMR Iraq was also wearing US acoutrements ie at what rank does it stop?

My point is that there has been a lot of navel gazing about Values and Standards, not least concerning dress, yet this adaptation seems to be based on nothing more than being in a Joint HQ....not exactly a basis for amending Dress Regs?
  7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Perhaps when someone pulls him up for the stars they can check to make sure he's wearing his beret correctly as well?
  8. Obviously you know better than our leaders - try writing to Soldier Mag if it pisses you off this much rather than hiding in a forum and back stabbing. Have you been on tour recently and seen the tat and home made shite the rank and file sew onto their uniforms? A 4 Star displaying 4 Stars (a recognised British Army rank recognition symbol) is hardly breaking values and standards ffs!!
  9. Pips are actually stars for one.
  10. who him?

• Like Like x 3
  11. At least he is a real soldier--it could be worse:

12. Some Brit 4-star bloke called Richards who wears the stars to ensure anyone he meets in a multinational HQ context can comprehend the rank that he holds. It's easier than holding a big placard that says "I'm a four-star General", and simplifies things for Johnny Foreigner. Nothing to see here, move along please.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. "Have you been on tour recently and seen the tat and home made shite the rank and file sew onto their uniforms?" - that is the point that I am making.....I fail to see how this differs to wearing US rank?

Referring to somebody as a 4* is not the same as wearing 4* on your collar. Should a Brit Colonel wear a Bird?
  14. Well, erm....yes if he wants to really be ally. :)
    • Like Like x 5
  15. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

It is standard procedure for OF-6 to OF-10 ranked officers in NATO commands to wear the general star insignia as laid out in STANAG (NATO Standardization Agreement) 2116.

Note also that US generals have worn the 'British style' rank in the past when operating in Joint HQs. See Stormin' Norman below with a Saudi rank tab on his left breast:

• Like Like x 2