US Ranger War Criminal?

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Dec 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

See posted link.:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16086801/

I have many doubts about this Rangers claims, being that he is a criminal and being charged with a bank robbery. :roll:

I also think his claims, have a lot more to do with becoming a politicial based charge, so that he can avoid being sent back to the US, as Canada will not extradite people charged with polictial based crimes, etc.

2. Totally agree Trip. This dude is only taking advantage of the special place the military holds in the American heart. You do not need a war to teach you right from wrong.

3. Hmmm. While I have no doubt that there are some "shady" operations by the task force in question, some of these allegations are quite outlandish.

4. Sounds very familiar to me, only it's usually the "other" side that does it. If true, it would be very disturbing indeed. American I.E.Ds? Whatever happened to calling in airstrikes?

5. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Actually, I like the idea of killing high profile terrorist up close and personal. I would hope that members of this Task Force are allowed to use the means necessary, to kill such targets. I have no qulams with such activity at all. This the very basic concept of having such a unit as Delta/CAG or SAS to perform such duties.

6. Ok, I don't know if this guy is a Ranger or not. Even assuming he is and the "alleged" robbery in Tacoma was an action to draw attention to, ahem, "issues" in Iraq, might there not have been simpler methods?

Say, conduct a robbery in, oh, Burnaby, BC, Canada, where US extradition would be a moot point? Or, just come to Canada and "spill your guts" about any atrocities?

Besides, we have a Conservative government right now. Expect this lad back via Express Post.

7. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

There is no doubt that he was a Ranger from the 2nd Ranger, BN, 75th Ranger Regiment stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA along with the other Rangers from the same unit who are charged with this bank robbery.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=rangers11m&date=20060811

As for sending him back, apparently if he manages to convince the Canadians that his motive was to get to Canada and confess, etc,. and also convince the Canadians it was a polictical motivated charge, there is a law in Canada that prohibits his return, to a place where he is charged with a polictial based crime, etc.

8. As much as I like you Trip,

what would you say about the "other" side using the same logic as yours i.e killing 'high profile targets up close and personal?' which is anything and everything that smells "christian?"

It is rather hard to have it both ways in this brutal world we live in. I am sure somebody somewhere is as convinced in his beliefs (if not more) as much as you are of yours.

I hope I am not breaking the terms of the ceasefire. Long live common sense!!!!

9. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Devil_Dog:

Did you happen to read what I said? I'll quote. "killing high profile terrorist[hr] up close and personal"

The fact is it is being done on both sides already. Please tell, me that you are not naive enough to think for a NY minute, that we wouldn't kill Osama, anyway we could accomplish it anytime we had the chance?

If we did would this bother you? Alligator tears for Osama? :roll:

10. I love you dearly Trip but there you go again insinuating and deliberately misinterpreting me.

Of course I would pull the trigger on Bin Laden (who wouldn't?) but to say that I would condone not killing him is a travesty on your part.

Is it just me or are we destined never to agree on anything even when we agree?

11. Trip, given that this is in your backyard, I suspect that you are closer to the loop than most of the rest of us. :donut:

Strangely I also agree with your "up close and personal" statement, although not perhaps the way you say it. Stopping a problem, when it's not being a problem is very Sun Tzu. :worship:

Of course, if certain elements are abusing their position it needs to be stamped on hard. IMHO if there is any truth to these allegations, it should be dealt with firmly, but discretely.

PB

12. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

13. OK - so now he has he notoriety he claims he was seeking. What is to stop him making his earth shattering revelations (if such they be) from the 'safety' of Canada. Access to media is as easy there as in USA.

14. We can't stop the war because terrorists have children.

15. It should be the aim to deal with terrorists when apart from their children or, when this is not safely feasible, to deal with the terrorist in such a manner that we do not also kill anyone within x feet of him. We hear of highly trained security forces but often their actions come across as little different from savages. And, yes, I know it ain't easy but any callous action on our part only causes more heads on the Hydra.