US punishes aircrew

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fingers_1661, Oct 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The US Air Force has relieved several officers of their commands after a B-52 bomber was mistakenly flown across the US loaded with nuclear-armed missiles....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7053898.stm

I wonder when they'll punish any that slot coalition forces?

2. Reading between the lines, it wasn't the aircrew's fault in the minds of USAF top brass...... neither was it in the story above!

3. msr

msr LE

Three colonels, a lieutenant colonel and 66 other personnel were punished following the incident at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota, on 29 August.

Blimey

4. how do you spell "scapegoat". ah yes, its "sacificed on the altar of political expediency".

yes they were nukes, and maybe the guys made some mistakes, but you fix problems by learning from them, not by simply sacking anyone who makes one.

Ski.

5. You what?

It appears from the report that the only problem is that people stopped following their orders correctly.

There is no problem to fix other than giving some lazy people a big kick up the arrse.

6. Speaking to a lass i know who works up in Cumbria and the three eyed fish plant i once asked her how often they make dangerous mistakes up there that could risk lives.

"Mistakes??? You don't make mistakes with things that have Nuclear in the name."

7. Slotting coaliltion forces doesn't cost some American politician votes.

8. Never had a Weapon Standardisation Team visit your place of work then? lots of twitchy sphincters when they come a calling.

9. I don't see an issue with the whole lot, as long as you can trust the fukwit flying the plane not to crash, or say "I wonder what this button does.............."

10. On first reading I was of a similar opinion. Thinking about it though most governments probably like to think that they are in control of their nuclear weapons. If this sort of thing can happen then it not impossible to lose some.

EDIT to add: Or impossible for a rather unfortunate accident to occur.

11. Teacosy syndrome - Put a soldier in a room with only a teacosy and its only a matter of time before he puts it on his head. Can be adapted to any situation. Put a soldier in room with a Grenade, its only a matter of time before he pulls the pin. Soldier in room with button ................ 8O

12. Not noticing that a bunch of nukes were missing for 36 hours isn't quite the same as making sure someone watches you reversing around the hangar because someone once crashed a rover, is it?

13. Put a squaddie in a room with a button that says "do not press," I reckon time elapsed before pressing will be 23 seconds.......longer if a Pioneer ;)

14. Colonel Lang gets a little hysterical:

15. Seen this with my own eyes.

"Was just wondering how easy the pins come out on Phos"