US Public TV Serioes on Afghanistan War

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Oct 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Linky

For those interested in the new Afghanistan War analysis by US Public TV here is schedule.

2. I'm a fan of the frontline documentaries. I watched the 24 minute 'snippet' on their site the other day. Looks like a good programme.

3. That is the buzz but in view of their previous inability to walk the straight and narrow in various touchy (political) subjects, watch and listen to the information but then verify it.

4. Watching it now. McC's point of clearing an area and not maintaining the "hold" can sometimes be worse than not clearing it in the first place because clearing it means you create expectations that do do not live up to. [slightly paraphrased]

Even though some of these operations (battles) have lasted for 30 to 40 days, in the life of Afghanistan they're just raids. If you are the locals sitting on the fence, which side will come down on?

How many hours lead does GMT have on Georgia? (too lazy to look it up)

5. The move to protect the population instead of (necessarily) going after the Taliban is just by the book, makes good sense, and this time the Marines are there to stay.

Unfortunately, the population fled the scene and the Taliban have threatened them if they go back.

"Connecting with the people sounded a lot easier back in Washington."

Hmm, great to get a reality check from the frontlines(!), thanks for posting this JJ.

Edited to add last sentence.

6. We are 5 hours behind (and 100 years culturally).

7. NY Times Review of TV show:

Link

8. Just finished watching it and thought it gave a very good perspective from both sides of the argument without any of the usual vitriol.

9. This apeared in the small town where the Marine was from who is shown in the show after being mortally wounded. How young he was....

10. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

SNIP
    General McChrystal doesn’t hide the bitterness in his voice as he describes having to take back Helmand Province all over again. “Once you clear something and don’t hold it, you probably didn’t clear it, it has no staying power,” he says. “ In fact I would argue that it’s worse, because you create an expectation and then you dash it. And so I think that you’re almost better to have not gone there at all.”
    SNIP

This comment from McChrystal sounds like it could be a slap at the British mission there, pre- the recent Marine deployment.

For eg: This blurb from a recent UK book on Afghan ("Attack State Red"):
    Supported by air strikes, artillery, mortars, Scimitars, tracked troop carriers and Javelin missiles; often resupplied by heavy parachute drop; the platoons sniped, blasted, machine-gunned, grenaded and bayoneted their way across the desert and through the jungle-like Green Zone