US Presidential Salute

I've been wondering why the US President salutes serving forces when he is not in uniform. A couple of casual nights' Googling shows that this is a relatively recent phenomenon (when the President is out of uniform) starting after Eisenhower. I can't pin down which president it was.

I find it moderately interesting as it appears to be an uncodified part of the US constitution, as most of the British constitution is. There may have been codification in 2008 (which allowed veterans to salute out of uniform) but I have been able to find that legislation.

Last edited:
Its been preying on mind too.

I'm relieved you raised the topic.

What's wrong with respect, uniform or not. The world will not end,

I've been wondering why the US President salutes serving forces when he is not in uniform. A couple of casual nights' Googling shows that this is a relatively recent phenomenon (when the President is out of uniform) starting after Eisenhower. I can't pin down which president it was.

I find it moderately interesting as it appears to be an uncodified part of the US constitution, as most of the British constitution is. There may have been codification in 2008 (which allowed veterans to salute out of uniform) but I have been able to find that legislation.
He's on Twitter. Ask him.

I believe he invented the latte salute:

Edit: BTW, believed to be started by Reagan:
Sorry, The Presidential Salute Isn’t A Real Thing

No doubt for Reagan the (literal) theatre too hard to avoid.