US Presidential Election chit-chat

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Taz_786, Jun 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Finally the battle lines are drawn - Obama v MacCain, who will prevail?

Who will be their running mates? Will Obama accept her as VP?

Just listened to Obama's victory speech right now and i'm getting carried away myself!

YES WE CAN!!

2. anyone but another republican.

AMERICA. PLEASE!

3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Given the way she's carried on would you accept her as your running mate?
    Would the US accept her?

I think she's finished and she should retire gracefully and let Obama run with whoever he wants

4. I think it would be magnificent for him to be the first black president , i think it will do good for race relations worldwide.

edited as my english is shoite

5. I'm the happiest bunny in the hutch this morning.

If Obama wins the presidency there is some hope for international politics.

6. I think it would be a step too far for America to accept a black man as their Pres and a woman as the VP.

Personally I think it's fantastic that Obama has a very real chance; perhaps a real breath of fresh air for world politics. However, I am sure our american members will fill us in on all the internal gossip?

7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

My money is on Obama to take the ticket and then to be the first assassinated black President.

No way will the home boys allow a "negro" to be in charge long. It is America, after all....

8. Should it matter what colour is president's skin for as long as he can demonstrate the will to abandon "world supremacy" geopolitical games. Can Obama do it?

9. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

No it shouldn't and for me yes he can. He is for me the best candidate from either party and the US is ready for a change from the Replublicans.

10. In an ideal world of course the colour (or color) of skin should not be an issue. However, it's clearly been a factor so far.

World Supremacy? I don't think it will be too long before other countries start to challenge for that title.

11. McCain is a decrepid old git and his chances of lasting a whole term without croaking are pretty slim. Obama's highly likely to do a Kennedy pretty soon after he ventures down to the bible belt areas.

All in all, I see interesting times ahead......

12. I never thought that either of these two had a hope in hell of being president. I thought would be doomed in the primaries (at First McCain was struggling, and Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh are still furious that he made it). I'm amazed (and excited) to see these two where they are now.

Obama has great appeal as a speaker. He truly does speak to people. The 2004 democratic convention speech he made was one of the best speeches I have ever heard in my life. He is the product of an international and multicultural upbringing. He is also the grandson of a WWII veteran, and has an uncle that helped liberate a concentration camp. Despite criticism that he's soft, and won't have the will to fight our enemies, he is very aware of the threats. He simply believes that Iraq has distracted us from Afghanistan (where we are losing ground) and the Horn of Africa, where extremism and genocide are threatening to unleash a regional nightmare. He has praised the work of troops deployed in CJTF-HOA (Combined-Joint-Taskforce Horn of Africa), and been vocal on the continuing conflict in Darfur, where UNAMID peacekeepers desperately need assistance protecting the innocent.

McCain is a warrior, and has sacrificed much for his country. His son, Jimmy McCain, enlisted in the Marine Corps and has already completed a tour in Iraq (a fact he has been unwilling to use in the campaign, to his credit, he refuses to use his children as political fodder). He has had the courage break ranks with his party to oppose the use of torture and speak out on Global warming. He also sees the importance of finishing what we started in Iraq. He was critical of many of the post-invasion decisions that prolonged the conflict (like disbanding the Iraqi Army, and the use of conventional tactics in what was really a COIN operation), and sees that despite the faulty intelligence that motivated us to go in the first place, we have to somehow finish what we started. As he put it "we have incurred a moral responsibility in Iraq, it would be an unconscionable act of betrayal, a stain on our character as a great nation, if we were to walk away from the Iraqi people and consign them to the horrendous violence, ethnic cleaning and possibly genocide that would follow a reckless, irresponsible and premature withdrawal". However, he also seems to be ready to move away from George's unilateralism. McCain also said "our great power does not mean we can do whatever we want whenever we want, nor should we assume we have all the wisdom and knowledge necessary to succeed"

I would also like to see the Candidates themselves engage each other in a civil, and respectful fashion. Speaking on the climate on this side of the pond, people need to stop insulting others when they support one or the other. Both men are sincere, patriotic, wise, and capable leaders. I would like to call on all to engage in reasoned debate, and to always hold dear the free exchange of ideas. I urge everyone to listen to both, as both have profound lessons to teach.

I teeter between the two in who I support, but I'm leaning toward one (though I'm not going to state which one). I would be proud to serve under either

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Seems to me the Democrats only had to field a non-controversial, healthy, corn-fed white boy to walk the next election - instead they opt for a woman or a black guy.

Somehow I just don't see the conservative masses and the good 'ol boys being able to vote for what they perceive as a radical choice.

Hope he gets in though - septics need to boost their image on the world stage and let the crazies hate someone else for awhile.....

14. '..how would you react if war with Iran began"?, "well..we would obliterate them", the wise words of Hilary C lol

15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

We can be lucky she is post-menopause - imagine her 20 years ago... :omfg: