US praises British troops kit

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Whisper, Jan 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EquipmentAndLogistics/UsPraisesBritishTroopsKit.htm

Material Command sounds thrilling, if he was the chap who picked that vile ACU shit then he ought to be shot... Wonder if he picked the material for hs wig too
    [​IMG]

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I always have to smile when American's act surprised that they are not number 1 at everything. It really is an inner psyche thing..

I imagine we got that kick in the teeth around 1940 as German Stukka's bombed the shit out of us and their Panzer's chewed up our armoured crap..

3. Goes back a long way. Pair of boots cww got a large box of prime steaks from the Americans in Korea. Our anoraky-jacket things and cheese possessed were also highly attractive to them. When my jeep needed a service, I'd take it to the motor pool with a bottle of Scotch on the passenger seat and be given a nice brand new one from the compound. East African troops greatly fancied our rice which was somehow different to their issue. I've got more African carvings than the Brit Museum.

4. Bloody hell ORC how old are :D you....

5. either he's blagging you OR he really is that old.
    But It's a similar story to what I've been told a thousand times over by members of my family and lads they've worked with.
    I wonder what they'd give me for a bergan.... :wink:

6. ORC. dob 15/8/1933 formerly 22674586

7. I seem to remember something about S10s in GW1 being highly prised, but also our troops being search for camp beds on the way home as the US had sent far more then they had troops in country. Swings and roundabouts.

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

The S6 of 1991 wouldn't have been compatible with the yank MOP but probably worth having in their own right.

The yank camp beds I have several off. I don't think anyone got searched or had one taken off them, they were and continue to be common currency. I personally prefer the compactness of the Brit camp bed but the yank cots are much easier to set up, in the dark, in a room you've not seen in daylight..

9. Considered (for half a second) swapping my S10 in 1992 for a yank camp cot. Following day a L/R with a few of us on board came across about three dozen of them lying stacked outside an empty building. While not as compact as the brit camp bed it is certainly robust as it's still going strong.

11. They actually had service numbers when you joined! ?

Going back to the 70s I can remember swapping US Army and Air Force compo for ours. They thought they had a good deal and we knew that we had a good deal.

12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

13. We need the Ammis to tell how good we are now do we? hmmmmm
    I traded a shitload of kit with those micky mouse lot back in granby so goes to show how much its improved i guess.

14. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Was Clansman a rank and not a radio?

Did an exchange tour in 2003 with the old septics
    We were told no nbc was to be taken did hear before then and since that the UK NBC kit is highly prized by the US forces and they would nick it given half a chance
    IIRC there are some pictures from Telic 1 with US marines in Brit NBC kit

Also the Yank N.G. were really impressed with our webbing and Bergans theirs was much older some of it dating back to Vietnam

15. My unit hosted some spams a few years back.

When it came to a stores check, we were diffy two complete sets of Goretex Jacket and salopettes - Petroleum Protective ! The septics had already hightailed it back across the pond. Outrageous !

Very Gucci it is (was) too.