US praises British troops kit

#1
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EquipmentAndLogistics/UsPraisesBritishTroopsKit.htm

US praises British troops' kit
An Equipment and Logistics news article

15 Jan 09

The equipment used by British soldiers on operations in Iraq and Afghanistan is as good as anything found in the American arsenal, according to a group of US Army Command Sergeant Majors (CSM).
American and British soldiers on patrol in Iraq

Transatlantic praise: American soldiers believe the latest weapons and equipment used by their British counterparts on operations is now second-to-none
[Picture: Cpl Ralph Merry RAF]

Speaking at a conference showcasing the US military's advancements in science and technology, the senior NCOs (Non-Commissioned Officers) insisted that British troops – referred to as 'the Borrowers' and 'Flintstones' by their American cousins ahead of the invasion of Iraq in 2003 – have no reason to look jealously across the Atlantic.

While asserting that US Forces have always respected their comrades-in-arms, the experienced commanders said that a proliferation of new kit, vehicles and weaponry through procurement programmes and urgent operational requirements had cemented the British Army's standing as an elite power.

CSM Jeffery Mellinger, US Army Materiel Command, said:

"I have spent a considerable amount of time with the Brits down in southern Iraq and Basra in particular.

"And I spent enough time with them to realise that not only was the kit good, but that their tactics, techniques and procedures were things the US Army and the rest of the coalition forces should take a closer look at."

"I have spent a considerable amount of time with the Brits... enough time with them to realise that not only was the kit good, but that their tactics, techniques and procedures were things the US Army and the rest of the coalition forces should take a closer look at."

CSM Jeffery Mellinger, US Army Materiel Command

CSM Hector Marin, US Army Research, Development and Engineering Command, who served alongside British forces in the build-up to the invasion of Iraq, said he was bemused by the 'Flintstones' tag, which alluded to soldiers living in Stone Age conditions, and argued the nickname was far removed from reality:

"The British soldiers had the same assets that we had in the US and we were side-by-side sharing the same maintenance facilities," he said.

CSM James Diggs, HQ North Atlantic Regional Medical Command, suggested that good co-operation would ensure parity between the British and US Army in the future. He said:

"When you think in terms of the UK, it's a partnership. We're leveraging not only our technology but also our ability to get the mission done."

This article first appeared in the January 2009 edition of Soldier, Magazine of the British Army.
Material Command sounds thrilling, if he was the chap who picked that vile ACU shit then he ought to be shot... Wonder if he picked the material for hs wig too
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#2
I always have to smile when American's act surprised that they are not number 1 at everything. It really is an inner psyche thing..

I imagine we got that kick in the teeth around 1940 as German Stukka's bombed the shit out of us and their Panzer's chewed up our armoured crap..
 
#3
Goes back a long way. Pair of boots cww got a large box of prime steaks from the Americans in Korea. Our anoraky-jacket things and cheese possessed were also highly attractive to them. When my jeep needed a service, I'd take it to the motor pool with a bottle of Scotch on the passenger seat and be given a nice brand new one from the compound. East African troops greatly fancied our rice which was somehow different to their issue. I've got more African carvings than the Brit Museum.
 
#4
OldRedCap said:
Goes back a long way. Pair of boots cww got a large box of prime steaks from the Americans in Korea. Our anoraky-jacket things and cheese possessed were also highly attractive to them. When my jeep needed a service, I'd take it to the motor pool with a bottle of Scotch on the passenger seat and be given a nice brand new one from the compound. East African troops greatly fancied our rice which was somehow different to their issue. I've got more African carvings than the Brit Museum.
Bloody hell ORC how old are :D you....
 
#5
Trotsky said:
OldRedCap said:
Goes back a long way. Pair of boots cww got a large box of prime steaks from the Americans in Korea. Our anoraky-jacket things and cheese possessed were also highly attractive to them. When my jeep needed a service, I'd take it to the motor pool with a bottle of Scotch on the passenger seat and be given a nice brand new one from the compound. East African troops greatly fancied our rice which was somehow different to their issue. I've got more African carvings than the Brit Museum.
Bloody hell ORC how old are :D you....
either he's blagging you OR he really is that old.
But It's a similar story to what I've been told a thousand times over by members of my family and lads they've worked with.
I wonder what they'd give me for a bergan.... :wink:
 
#7
I seem to remember something about S10s in GW1 being highly prised, but also our troops being search for camp beds on the way home as the US had sent far more then they had troops in country. Swings and roundabouts.
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#8
The S6 of 1991 wouldn't have been compatible with the yank MOP but probably worth having in their own right.

The yank camp beds I have several off. I don't think anyone got searched or had one taken off them, they were and continue to be common currency. I personally prefer the compactness of the Brit camp bed but the yank cots are much easier to set up, in the dark, in a room you've not seen in daylight..
 
#9
Considered (for half a second) swapping my S10 in 1992 for a yank camp cot. Following day a L/R with a few of us on board came across about three dozen of them lying stacked outside an empty building. While not as compact as the brit camp bed it is certainly robust as it's still going strong.
 
#10
Mr Happy said:
The S6 of 1991 wouldn't have been compatible with the yank MOP but probably worth having in their own right.

Definitely S10 when I deployed in Nov 1990. We were issued a brand new 'spare' one from Mob stores without signing for them - proper good bartering kit!
 
#11
OldRedCap said:
ORC. dob 15/8/1933 formerly 22674586
They actually had service numbers when you joined! ?

Going back to the 70s I can remember swapping US Army and Air Force compo for ours. They thought they had a good deal and we knew that we had a good deal.
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#12
extechstmn said:
Mr Happy said:
The S6 of 1991 wouldn't have been compatible with the yank MOP but probably worth having in their own right.

Definitely S10 when I deployed in Nov 1990. We were issued a brand new 'spare' one from Mob stores without signing for them - proper good bartering kit!
Apologies then Off and Extech..

ISTR... wrongly!
 
#13
We need the Ammis to tell how good we are now do we? hmmmmm
I traded a shitload of kit with those micky mouse lot back in granby so goes to show how much its improved i guess.
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#14
OldRedCap said:
ORC. dob 15/8/1933 formerly 22674586
Was Clansman a rank and not a radio?

Did an exchange tour in 2003 with the old septics
We were told no nbc was to be taken did hear before then and since that the UK NBC kit is highly prized by the US forces and they would nick it given half a chance
IIRC there are some pictures from Telic 1 with US marines in Brit NBC kit

Also the Yank N.G. were really impressed with our webbing and Bergans theirs was much older some of it dating back to Vietnam
 
#15
My unit hosted some spams a few years back.

When it came to a stores check, we were diffy two complete sets of Goretex Jacket and salopettes - Petroleum Protective ! The septics had already hightailed it back across the pond. Outrageous !

Very Gucci it is (was) too.
 

Top