US Politician Calls for Executions

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by posh_scouser, Aug 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Then they should line up the politicians that put them there illegally with him,going to get a bit crowded in that courtyard isn´t it?

2. Depends if it can be shown that he did indeed leak information (which seems a given from comments attributed to him but who knows) and if that information lead to the death of people in the field after the various journo's failed to screen it all properly.

Of course his defense team will say he stipulated it should be screened against such information and Wikileaks, the Gudherian, Das Speigl and the NY Times stuffed that job up.

Personaly I think an actual life sentance, preferably in a military prison doing very hard time indeed may be more of an actual punishment and less likely to make a martyr for freedom of speach/pro-talib/anti-war types. Also prosecute the editor for not showing due dilligence in the screening of names and find out if the 3 newspapers should be held acountable/demonstrate the measures they took to insure the safety of informants (ie did all the papers vet their chunks well but were only given access to some of it or are there 3 or 4 versions flaoting around or what?) and if see if there's a case against any of them. If people have/will die as a result of publishing things that shouldnt have been then he is responcible for publishing. Treason anyone as Australians are in this war?

3. Pretty sickening. It was stupid of Manning not to redact the names because his valid points could have been made without them. But if we're going to shoot everyone who does something stupid, I'm off to buy shares in an ammunition company or two.

4. American politicians, especially on the right, call for the death penalty constantly, it's a sort of throat-clearing for them. Reminds the voters that they've elected a real toughie who will stand up for the right to life and the death penalty.

5. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Seems fair enough. Reminds me of the story of some murderous septic who was sent to the electric chair. The local US radio station apparently urged their listeners to turn off their electrical appliances at execution time 'so we can really juice the b@stard!'.

6. While(st) I hold no love for most of our modern day pols of any party, I await your explanation of the bolded part.

7. Perhaps. But there are also very many non-politician Americans who also see the need (regrettable as it is) for capital punishment and at the same time (by not accepting the rather IMHO ridiculous assertion of a vocal minority that confuses the execution of a convicted murderer with the killing of an innocent unborn child) advocate protection of the unborn.

8. You may be happy with your country being right up there in the premier league with such luminaries as China, Iran and Saudi Arabia when it comes to executing people, the rest of the world tries to be a bit more civilized.

9. FORMER_FYRDMAN

Yes, because diverting money away from health, education, old age pensioners, defence and the disabled etc etc in order to preserve the lives of folk like Sutcliffe, Hindley, Brady and Huntley et al is truly the highest achievement of civilisation. When some of these creatures commit further offences, including murder, on their release, we are positively overwhelmed by gracious living. How about making the Kray Twins posthumous members of the Royal Society?

10. Why not just send him out on a 3-year tour with the Marines doing foot patrols every day ... or put him on covert observation by himself and accidentally leak his location (under a false name to protect his identity, of course)? You could even put a sniper team to cover him ... probably have to wait until Terry had shot him to be sure they weren't just innocent by-standers without a malicious thought in their heads.

11. It costs 2.5 million dollars more to execute a prisoner than imprison him for life, mostly due to the number of appeals one is entitled to under US law. I would also argue that even a short sentence in any US prison is a worse fate than life in a UK prison. If I ever get bored of cooking, cleaning, laundry, organising my day, paying for a TV licence or getting my hair cut and fancy a regular scrabble partner, I will commit some white collar crime and look forward to a holiday stretch.

12. FORMER_FYRDMAN

I can think of ways to improve the economics.

(1 edit)

13. Of course, the societal values and interests involved are not merely those of economics. We have seen other nations and cultures that have used such an "economic" model for similar issues and they are not ones that I would want to be a part of quite frankly.

Whenever the question of a state using its "police" power to take life is involved, I prefer the messy less than economic/scientific debate that requires us to examine the moral and ethical issues as well. As I have said elsewhere in discussing the regrettable, though in my view always necessary due to the nature of mankind, option of capital punishment, law-abiding members of society have a right to be protected from psychopathic predators and the reality is that this may mean the death of such persons if our "system" cannot guarantee that such persons will no longer pose a threat to others.

Our (and from what I have read recently in the UK as well) history and the sad experience of families left without fathers, mothers or children due to the intentional or mistaken premature release of one of these killers tells me at least we cannot make such a guarantee.

14. Flip side to that is of course that far to many innocent (mostly poor) people have been put to death and later proven to be innocent.

There's been some alarming work on showing death penalty conviction rates for poor people with bad lawyers and what happens when a few are investigated by good legal council...far to high a percentage are over turned. I'll dig up the details if people are intrested but executing even one innocent is to many in my book. For a start the guilty remain unpunished. Of course life should damn well mean life for the worst of the worst. The current British example of the Yorkshire Ripper (20+ life sentances) apealing for the chance of parol!