US Para BN CO and SgtMajor in Afghan relieved for "cause"

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Apr 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope there is more to this story than what is stated in this article as to the reasons for relieving the senior leadership of a battalion in combat. If not, I fear we will beat ourselves in this conflict and the Taliban can just sit back and watch.

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/01/30/972239

2. Agreed, but the article outlined the "Motivational Poster" saying "Slavery Reinstated:: Catch yourself a strong one" with a white coach and black basketball player.

I have to say, with the war in Afghanistan and what it's truly based on to win, can a leader with such poor judgment be counted on to make the right decisions?

Personally I have to say that removing them is probably the lesser of two evils.

3. Always good to see a straightened set of priorities!

4. While I agree the CO is responsible for all that his or her unit does or fails to do, the "remedy" of relieving the CO and Sgt Major on this incident alone (as I said I hope there is more to this if I am to make sense of it)is IMHO ludicrous, especially when the reports about the briefing slide indicate the briefer was an African-American and there was no prior knowledge of the CO as to the slide.

This smacks of more PC run amok.

5. The mind boggles.

6. WTF??? A BLACK soldier inserted the slide and 2 white guys get punished? (Well maybe they should have checked the slide now I come to think of it )

Does that not strike you as a bit racist?

Is this going to improve race relations in the unit or breed resentment?

Sheer unadulterated madness.

7. The only way I can make sense of this - apart from the quite possible hysterical over-reaction by somebody at Brigade - is that they were seen as having failed to take appropriate action after the incident. Not saying that that was what happened, just speculating as to why this might not be the complete idiocy it appears on the surface.

But it does seem that they were done-over for insisting that the last slide shouldn't be pedantically serious. It seems that the message of the other thread (Yes, the US Army really is that ****!) doesn't just apply to matters of uniform ...

I assume that's at least two careers wrecked.

8. Depressing story in several respects, including the bit about presenters being 'directed' to include humorous slides.

9. And to think whenever US soldiers saw Brits it was you that called us crazy!!

PC gone mad.

10. Understatement!

11. What would they have done to the RNAS/RAF Officer, who when asked "Where are your Bucaneers?" replied "On my bucking head"!! But then again , we (Brits) don`t go for blind obedience. Nor are we commanded by a bunch of fun-hating Quackers or Baptists!! Do you still eat "Square meals" tou the count of 4???

12. I suppose you mean this in some sort of relative sense because it is not at all what is taught or expected in the US military--at least in terms of things should really matter for a military--like combat operations. I fear you are correct however in terms of the adherence to the PC songbook.

Neither is our military. IMHO, the case involved here has little to do with some sort of puritanical mindset but rather is driven almost exclusively by a reverse racism run amok in the US where minorities have created an atmosphere of hyper-sensitivity among the majority that is driven by a desire for control more than equality.

13. Please don't feed the troll.

14. RNAS? you still flying a Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter? Glad to see you old Duffers are still out and about.

15. Thanks for the reminder! :D