US Para BN CO and SgtMajor in Afghan relieved for "cause"

jumpinjarhead said:
I hope there is more to this story than what is stated in this article as to the reasons for relieving the senior leadership of a battalion in combat. If not, I fear we will beat ourselves in this conflict and the Taliban can just sit back and watch.

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/01/30/972239
Agreed, but the article outlined the "Motivational Poster" saying "Slavery Reinstated:: Catch yourself a strong one" with a white coach and black basketball player.

I have to say, with the war in Afghanistan and what it's truly based on to win, can a leader with such poor judgment be counted on to make the right decisions?

Personally I have to say that removing them is probably the lesser of two evils.

ghost_us said:
jumpinjarhead said:
I hope there is more to this story than what is stated in this article as to the reasons for relieving the senior leadership of a battalion in combat. If not, I fear we will beat ourselves in this conflict and the Taliban can just sit back and watch.

Agreed, but the article outlined the "Motivational Poster" saying "Slavery Reinstated:: Catch yourself a strong one" with a white coach and black basketball player.

I have to say, with the war in Afghanistan and what it's truly based on to win, can a leader with such poor judgment be counted on to make the right decisions?

Personally I have to say that removing them is probably the lesser of two evils.
While I agree the CO is responsible for all that his or her unit does or fails to do, the "remedy" of relieving the CO and Sgt Major on this incident alone (as I said I hope there is more to this if I am to make sense of it)is IMHO ludicrous, especially when the reports about the briefing slide indicate the briefer was an African-American and there was no prior knowledge of the CO as to the slide.

This smacks of more PC run amok.

WTF??? A BLACK soldier inserted the slide and 2 white guys get punished? (Well maybe they should have checked the slide now I come to think of it )

Does that not strike you as a bit racist?

Is this going to improve race relations in the unit or breed resentment?

Sheer unadulterated madness.

jumpinjarhead said:
While I agree the CO is responsible for all that his or her unit does or fails to do, the "remedy" of relieving the CO and Sgt Major on this incident alone (as I said I hope there is more to this if I am to make sense of it)is IMHO ludicrous, especially when the reports about the briefing slide indicate the briefer was an African-American and there was no prior knowledge of the CO as to the slide.
The only way I can make sense of this - apart from the quite possible hysterical over-reaction by somebody at Brigade - is that they were seen as having failed to take appropriate action after the incident. Not saying that that was what happened, just speculating as to why this might not be the complete idiocy it appears on the surface.

But it does seem that they were done-over for insisting that the last slide shouldn't be pedantically serious. It seems that the message of the other thread (Yes, the US Army really is that ****!) doesn't just apply to matters of uniform ...

I assume that's at least two careers wrecked.

What would they have done to the RNAS/RAF Officer, who when asked "Where are your Bucaneers?" replied "On my bucking head"!! But then again , we (Brits) don`t go for blind obedience. Nor are we commanded by a bunch of fun-hating Quackers or Baptists!! Do you still eat "Square meals" tou the count of 4???

52niagra said:
we (Brits) don`t go for blind obedience.
I suppose you mean this in some sort of relative sense because it is not at all what is taught or expected in the US military--at least in terms of things should really matter for a military--like combat operations. I fear you are correct however in terms of the adherence to the PC songbook.

Nor are we commanded by a bunch of fun-hating Quackers or Baptists
Neither is our military. IMHO, the case involved here has little to do with some sort of puritanical mindset but rather is driven almost exclusively by a reverse racism run amok in the US where minorities have created an atmosphere of hyper-sensitivity among the majority that is driven by a desire for control more than equality.

jumpinjarhead said:
52niagra said:
I suppose you mean this in some sort of relative sense because it is not at all what is taught or expected in the US military--at least in terms of things should really matter for a military--like combat operations. I fear you are correct however in terms of the adherence to the PC songbook.

Neither is our military. IMHO, the case involved here has little to do with some sort of puritanical mindset but rather is driven almost exclusively by a reverse racism run amok in the US where minorities have created an atmosphere of hyper-sensitivity among the majority that is driven by a desire for control more than equality.
Please don't feed the troll.

52niagra said:
What would they have done to the RNAS/RAF Officer, who when asked "Where are your Bucaneers?" replied "On my bucking head"!! But then again , we (Brits) don`t go for blind obedience. Nor are we commanded by a bunch of fun-hating Quackers or Baptists!! Do you still eat "Square meals" tou the count of 4???
RNAS? you still flying a Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter? Glad to see you old Duffers are still out and about.

Jungelism said:
jumpinjarhead said:
52niagra said:

Please don't feed the troll.
Thanks for the reminder! :D

jumpinjarhead said:
ghost_us said:
jumpinjarhead said:

True, but I've seen worse and that was back in 89'.

Ft Knox 3 soldiers with either Art 15's or letters of reprimand for asking a fellow soldier out on a date. I remember we used to call her typhoid mary because guys that didn't know her, and flirted with her would be standing in front of the man shortly giving up pay or picking up butts on a weekend.

She also had yours truly getting verbally bitch slapped by a Sgt Major for putting her on guard duty.

I'll explain that one as it's one of my favorite "Equality ... when convenient" stories in the Army.

At Ft. Knox when we got posted on cadre guard, there were typically 3 facilities to guard. Our motor pool, the Bradley training area (if vehicles were there) and Boatwright maintenance pool, there may have been another but foggy on that.

I was Sgt of the guard at the time and of course she was selected and had some crony show to try and "make the man". (That's the alternate 11th man that is on standby). Unlucky for her, the OIC was one of the cav and they never pick clerks to sit in the barracks. Something about seeing those shiny boots getting muddy.

Anyway, because she sent someone else and duties were being posted by the time she was last to come in for assignment. That left Boatwright.

The soldier that has to guard that facility does it alone, whereas the other shifts worked in 2s and 3s. They carried a PRC-77, a clipboard with checklist of doors and procedures, and a club.

So, I handed her the radio, clipboard, club, and dropped her off on assigned rotation. Morning came and that was the end of that... not really.

I got a wake up and was told the Sgt Major wanted me to report to him. I reported and proceeded to be screamed at for putting a female on duty at boatwright, how I should have ensured her safety by putting her on a shift with other soldiers and so on and forth.

When he asked what I was thinking I simply responded "to treat her as I would any other soldier, without bias, special consideration, or distinction.

With that got the obligatory "get out of my sight". Never forget it nor the fact that she ran to a Sgt Major to gripe about guard duty posting.

ghost_us said:
jumpinjarhead said:
ghost_us said:
jumpinjarhead said:

True, but I've seen worse and that was back in 89'.

Ft Knox 3 soldiers with either Art 15's or letters of reprimand for asking a fellow soldier out on a date. I remember we used to call her typhoid mary because guys that didn't know her, and flirted with her would be standing in front of the man shortly giving up pay or picking up butts on a weekend.

She also had yours truly getting verbally bitch slapped by a Sgt Major for putting her on guard duty.

I'll explain that one as it's one of my favorite "Equality ... when convenient" stories in the Army.

At Ft. Knox when we got posted on cadre guard, there were typically 3 facilities to guard. Our motor pool, the Bradley training area (if vehicles were there) and Boatwright maintenance pool, there may have been another but foggy on that.

I was Sgt of the guard at the time and of course she was selected and had some crony show to try and "make the man". (That's the alternate 11th man that is on standby). Unlucky for her, the OIC was one of the cav and they never pick clerks to sit in the barracks. Something about seeing those shiny boots getting muddy.

Anyway, because she sent someone else and duties were being posted by the time she was last to come in for assignment. That left Boatwright.

The soldier that has to guard that facility does it alone, whereas the other shifts worked in 2s and 3s. They carried a PRC-77, a clipboard with checklist of doors and procedures, and a club.

So, I handed her the radio, clipboard, club, and dropped her off on assigned rotation. Morning came and that was the end of that... not really.

I got a wake up and was told the Sgt Major wanted me to report to him. I reported and proceeded to be screamed at for putting a female on duty at boatwright, how I should have ensured her safety by putting her on a shift with other soldiers and so on and forth.

When he asked what I was thinking I simply responded "to treat her as I would any other soldier, without bias, special consideration, or distinction.

With that got the obligatory "get out of my sight". Never forget it nor the fact that she ran to a Sgt Major to gripe about guard duty posting.
Please don't get me started on that issue--I am already upset enough with this current (apparent) lunacy. :D

We live in mad world !

Where is the point in this action, what is the harm in trying to lighten the situation with some humour.

The image doesn't even sound racist, the vast majority of the type are comical.

Yet another over the top response by the PC crowd.