US/Pakistan Nuclear weapon collaboration

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by goodkurtz, Nov 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For a couple or more years the New York Times have been sitting on a story that they didn't publish because the Bush Whitehouse told them not to.
    The existence of the story although not the story's subject was widely known to NYT. readers.

This was because their writers gagging to publish kept hinting at the story's existence.
    Here it is - and it's a real babe of a story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/washington/18nuke.html?hp

2. How little they know of the New York Times and its fiercely independent editorial policy, who only their bedroom walls know?

Mrs Goodkurtz ma'am, can goodkurtz have some more pretzels and sodas please, he would ask himself but he knows the CIA monitor the shouted conversations from his bedroom to the hall...

3. money well spent if you ask me...

4. Can't say I'm surprised and, for once, I can't really fault them for it either.

5. it will be a really stinky poo if Pakistan becomes an Islamic republic, Musharaff toppled by Talibans and Islamist extremist, with possession of Pakistani Nuclear arsenal, they may also decide to take on India which also have Nuclear weapons, to free their Muslim brothers from Hindu rule, particularly Kashmir, the Jihadist are not as worried as the Indians are, after all if they die blowing themselves up, 72 virgin will be waiting for them (allegedly).

worse, some of that Technology can be passed on to Iran to speed up their Nuclear program, in the cause of Jihad against infidels.

bit of a nightmare.

6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Trouble is Pandora's box has been open for a long time and you can only plan for what is in existence now. If the US didn't play with Pakistan, the potential for an Islamic state would increase.

Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.

7. Cuddles:
    Please, please don't tell me that you didn't know about Judith Miller. Her suspiciously close relationships with the White house and the Pentagon.
    And please, please don't tell me that you didn't know that she was lying through her teeth about WMD and using the pages of the now compliant Grey Lady to shrill for Bush's war?
    Its all out now and well known. The Times have even issued an apology of sorts about their coverage leading up to war

However, with regards sitting on this story that's another matter. No matter how independent or otherwise a journal maybe there are times, and this maybe one of them, where discretion is the better part of valor.
    If they complied with the White House's request in order to not inflame certain parties and to help reduce the quantity of war then so be it.

8. Pakistan is already an islamic state, the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.

9. in name my friend, Musharaff was trying to keep it all secular, its not a Theocracy, unlike Iran wish run by Clerics,tthe real organ grinder, the Iranian President is just the monkey.

if The Taliban wins, it will become a Theocracy and a nasty one at that, the only thing that will make Iran look nice by comparison.

10. Pakistan already "allegedly" passed nuclear know-how to north korea, Iran, and Syria in the 80's.