US outraged as Pakistan frees Taliban fighters

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Sep 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pakistan's credibility as a leading ally in the war on terrorism was called into question last night when it emerged that President Pervez Musharraf's government had authorised the release from jail of thousands of Taliban fighters caught fighting coalition forces in Afghanistan.

Five years after American-led coalition forces overthrew the Taliban during Operation Enduring Freedom, United States officials have been horrified to discover that thousands of foreign fighters detained by Pakistan after fleeing the battleground in Afghanistan have been quietly released and allowed to return to their home countries.

Pakistani lawyers acting for the militants claim they have freed 2,500 foreigners who were originally held on suspicion of having links to al-Qa'eda or the Taliban over the past four years.

Article in full

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=B5HV5U4IIWNVRQFIQMGSFF4AVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2006/09/15/wpak15.xml

coming to a platoon house near you....

2. Maybe they needed the room to lock up people a court of law could actually convict someone of... :p

3. Your not soft on Islamic Facsists and the Pakistani menace are you ?

4. No chance.... you wouldn't have got me to give the a penny in the 80s. Just how much did the American people give them via the CIA by the way?

5. CIA (& Mi6) funding at the time was justified at the time for creating proxy forces to play havoc with the Russkies. Not the first time unforseen consquences from a plan has occured and not the last.

6. I didn't ask to have it justified, we all know the reasons, tho it's interesting to see you feel the need to explain/defend it. As far as the money goes, I take it that means millions and millions then...

7. I was not justifying it for you, It was done for others who may not have the benifit of your experience in covert funding of insurgant groups.

So you have a real problem with Americans and no offer no criticism of radical Islamic Terror groups or the 'Government' of Pakistan that is encouraging their ex prisioners to attck British Soldiers.

8. Most CIA help was aimed at aiding Ahmed Shah Massoud, who fought the Soviets. Later, as the Taliban took form, Massoud stood against them as the most effective and powerful military leader in the Northern Alliance.

9. I have no sympathy with terrorists of any breed, but I do feel that Musharraf is batting on a sticky wicket. President/'dictator' whatever ? but he has to be careful with his "Majority".
    Would 'WE' get a more sympathtic supporter of the west if he went.
    john
    I doubt it.

10. I have a BIG problem with biggoted racist septics who spout b0llox like "Government' of Pakistan that is encouraging their ex prisioners to attck British Soldiers"!

Where's you're evedence for this?

11. armchair_jihad isn't a septic

12. Its in the article I posted when I started this thread you Jihadi troll, its from a reputable UK publication. Try reading before you spout.

13. Musharraf is stuck between increasing muslim pressure within his own country and his commitment to the "war on terror" he is in a bad position and may end up "governing" only part of Pakistan. If the muslim threat increases in his country I dont expect that India will stand by for the dominoes to fall.

Pakistan may end up as a truelly failed state run by regional warlords or tribal leaders. Thats the frightener, Afghanistan will be lost completely if that happens.

14. I can really see this happening, Pakistan is a much more dangerous entity than Iran could ever be.

15. Releasing the Taleban would give more time for the jailers to concentrate on the shameless adulterous women I suppose..