US organised Death Squads in Iraq??

Found this on U75 and thought it deserved the attention of arrse.

In devising a strategy to defeat Iraq's insurgents, the Pentagon may be gaining the upper hand but at the cost of pushing Iraq toward civil war. A report by the Wall Street Journal from Feb. 16 revealed that "pop-up militias" are proliferating in Iraq. Not only is the U.S. aware of these illegal militias, but the Pentagon is arming, training and funding them for use them in counter-insurgency operations.

Most disturbing, one militia in particular - the "special police commandos" - is being used throughout Iraq and has been singled out by a U.S. general as conducting death squad strikes known as the "Salvador option."

Greg Jaffe, the Journal reporter, identified at least six such militias. Yet these militias owe their allegiance not to the Iraqi people or state, but to their self-appointed leaders and associated politicians such as interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi. Even the commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East, Gen. John P. Abizaid, admitted to Congress on March 1 that such militias are "destabilizing."

Of these militias, at least three are linked to Allawi. Jaffe writes, "First came the Muthana Brigade, a unit formed by the order of… Allawi." The second is the Defenders of Khadamiya, referring to a Shiite shrine on the outskirts of Baghdad, which appears to be "closely aligned with prominent Shiite cleric Hussein al Sadr," who ran on Allawi's ticket in the January elections.

The leader of the special police commandos, Gen. Adnan Thavit, participated in the disastrous 1996 coup against Saddam Hussein that Allawi coordinated. Thavit was jailed and subsequently released shortly before the 2003 U.S. invasion. He is also the uncle of Iraq's interim minister of the interior, under which the commandos operate.

New Boss = Old Boss

A recent Human Rights Watch study on torture in Iraq noted that Al-Nahdhah, a Iraqi newspaper, reported on June 21 that the interior ministry "appointed a new security adviser to assist in the establishment of a new general security directorate [GSD] modeled on the erstwhile General Security Directorate… one of the agencies of the Saddam Hussein government dissolved by the CPA in May 2003." That security advisor was "Major General 'Adnan Thabet al-Samarra'i." (Like most Arabic words, Thavit's name is translated into English with various spellings.)

Jane's Intelligence Digest commented at the time that the GSD, "will include former members of Saddam Hussein's feared security services, collectively known as the Mukhabarat. These former Ba'athists and Saddam loyalists will be expected to hunt down their colleagues currently organizing the insurgency."

Lt. Gen. David Petraeus, who heads the mammoth U.S. effort to create Iraq's myriad security forces, called the commandos "a horse to back." And Petraeus has done so by providing it with "money to fix up its base and buy vehicles, ammunition, radios and more weapons."

The special police commandos have also received special treatment from the U.S. occupation. A State Department report to Congress from Jan. 5 noted that at the request of the Iraqi Ministry of the Interior, "billeting space" was provided for 1,500 commandos in the Baghdad Public Safety Academy.

In terms of numbers, a column by David Ignatius in the Feb. 25 Washington Post notes that Thavit "commands a force of about 10,000 men," which would make them larger than the British military. The commandos have been used extensively, first last October in the assault on Samara that was called a "model" for how to retake a city from insurgents (but which is stilled roiled by regular attacks). The commandos have also become a fixture in major cities such as Ramadi and Mosul. In Ramadi, The Stars and Stripes describes the commandos as "the Iraqi forces that might soon be responsible for security in the city."

A report in Dec. 25 issue of The Advisor - a Pentagon publication with the tagline "Iraq's Official Weekly Command Information Reporter" - stated that the "Special Police Commandos have been deployed all over Iraq to hunt down insurgents."

This "hunt" seems to include death squad operations. Retired Gen. Wayne Downing, the former head of all U.S. special operations forces, appeared on NBC's Today show on Jan. 10 to discuss a Newsweek report about the Salvador option. The reference is to the extensive use of death squads by El Salvador's military during its war against the left in the 1980s. Downing called it a "very valid tactic" that has been employed "since we started the war back in March of 2003." Downing added, "We have special police commandos now of the Iraqi forces which conduct these kind of strike operations."

To all the spams reading this, please note this is in no way an attack on the US forces in 'Ayrak' :D

EDIT: sorry, forgot the source. The pinkos didnt make it up.
Death squads

If you know it's complete bo11ocks, and it was on U75 after all, why bother trying to wind people up by posting the krap?

I dont KNOW if it is true or untrue, but i suspect (and hope) that it is not true.

Only posted it here to see what people thought about it :?

Let's just say that among the hobbies of most U75 visitors is knocking the US, knocking the military, being leftist and anti war.

So if they come up with a story that suggests that the US Forces in Iraq are doing something hiddeous and illegal, that isn't already all over the 'reputable' news, I for one am not going to give it any credence at all. You can if you like, but you might as well duck to avoid being hit in the head by that pig while ýou do it.

Cynic? Me? Nah!

I think the article is crap. However, I have seen reports of tribal militias conducting revenge attacks upon the tangos. The tribal militias may be taking steps to drive out the terrorists from their neighborhoods.

Sorry to contradict you but all 3 of the units mentioned do exist and there is an element of truth about the article. The Special Commandos were 2 battalions strong before anyone in the Coalition knew they existed! And yes the decision was taken by Petreaus that although unofficial they were achieving results so lets kit them out..............fine in the short term but could cause difficulties later on.

Hate to point it out, but the articel is spot on and they do exist, and it is a nightmare trying to keep track of them and also working out who their commanders are.

In the South we have spent a long time trying to set up an organised system and then these "Specials" turn up. and it is not just in the POlice. there are special Int units, special Army units etc. the only connection is the US funding and backing, but they seem to have no raison d'etre.

Here is a novel idea. one police force which stops crime on the street and keeps the people safe!!!!

Is 'Greg Jaffe' the son of George Jaffe who I always considered the best informed Jurno on the Mid East situation.
john
PS Death Squads, oh my buddha, don't the Texan gunslingers learn nothing.
Help gain a "quick?" victory but throw away ya nations respect, bit like B.Liar and Onest UK elections.

The Iraqis don't need any encouragement from the US to form local armed groupings split along a variety of ethnic, religious and geographical lines - call them insurgents, call them militia, call them patriots - it's difficult for outsiders to tell.

However, I wish I could believe that the current US administration was clever enough not to pour petrol on the fire by backing some of these. Saddam used to be the US's blue-eyed boy when he was gassing Iranians - you'd hope they'd learn from the past.