US officer to be charged over Abu Ghraib abuse

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...115Z_01_N26293034_RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAQ-ABUSE.xml

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Army plans to charge a high ranking officer in connection with the abuse of prisoners at Baghdad's Abu Ghraib prison, The Washington Post and The New York Times reported on Wednesday, quoting his lawyer.

The papers said in their online editions that Lt. Col. Steven L. Jordan, the former head of the interrogation unit at the jail, was expected to be charged on Friday with dereliction of duty, lying to investigators and conduct unbecoming an officer.

He would be the highest-ranking officer at Abu Ghraib to face criminal charges in connection with the abuse of inmates at the prison.

Photos of inmates being intimidated by dogs and sexually humiliated were broadcast around the world after the abuses became public in 2004, undermining Washington's efforts to win support for its war in Iraq.

So far 10 low-ranking officers have been convicted and Jordan was the last major figure whose status remained unresolved after other more senior officers have been reprimanded, fined and relived of command, The New York Times said.

"We're thankful that decision has finally been made, and we look forward to finally reviewing the evidence and making some decisions," Samuel Spitzberg, Jordan's lawyer, was quoted as telling the Post.
I thought we'd done with this? Ok, what is this story smoke-screening?

Not sure, but all this stuff about Prescott is. Not much on the news about all those immigrants that should have been deported is there?

Something to do with Rumsfelt signing off on interrogation technique perhaps?

"It's all the Army's fault - they overstepped the limits I directed them to use. Aaagh - if only they had listened to me..."

Another snow flake drops....