US officer is convicted

A US ARMY officer has been convicted of killing a captured Iraqi general during interrogation at a detention camp in Qaim in November 2003 by stuffing him head-first into a sleeping bag and sitting on him.

Chief Warrant Officer Lewis Welshofer, 43, was found guilty of negligent homicide, but acquitted of murder, by a court martial at Fort Carson, Colorado. He faces a maximum sentence of three years and three months in prison.

“The verdict reflects the context in which these events took place,” Frank Spinner, his lawyer, said.

“The jury recognised confusion about the rules that govern interrogation.”
Times online

Confusion about the rules that govern interrogation??? 8O 8O 8O :roll:

Regardless of he's rank or position, We are not above the law & this Officer brings shame to he's Unit & to the U.S Army.

Next time this Idiot should consult the Uniform Code Of Military Justice!!!

Standby for the usual numb-nuts to reply about 'if it saves one life then its worth it'. They usually forget to mention the lives that it costs in 'revenge' attacks against our forces.

Filbert Fox said:
Standby for the usual numb-nuts to reply about 'if it saves one life then its worth it'. They usually forget to mention the lives that it costs in 'revenge' attacks against our forces.
I agree, what poor serviceman will be caught in a revenge attack for this General dying in US Military custody??.

Shit happens, roll with it.

I agree, this was an unprofessional thing to do and the possible reprocussions could be catastrophic (has been?). Then again, it's happened, can't change the past. I'm glad he got his just-deserts.

It sets an example: you are not above the law, irregardless of rank or appointment.

Filbert Fox said:
Concur. So why in the name of all that is righteous, isn't Piers banged up like a kipper for promulgated the faked abuse photo's ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Idrach Officers 2
W The Intelligence Cell 5
msr The Intelligence Cell 4