US: New drone has no pilot anywhere, so who's accountable?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ehwhat, Jan 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ehwhat

ehwhat Old-Salt Book Reviewer

2. Leaving Blue on Blues and the fragging of wedding parties purely to: chance, poor drills, badly trained, or ill disciplined staff, has obviously lead to many missed opportunities to brass up allies and innocents, automation has to be the way ahead.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Maybe the guy who fuels it up can carry the can?
    • Like Like x 6
  4. ehwhat

ehwhat Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I have to agree that the concept doesn't leave me all warm and tingly. There are already drones that fly a specific circuit for surveillance without guidance or control, but they are not armed. The step up to armed and automatic is very concerning. I much prefer a human making the final decision than a programmed chip set. Unfortunately, its all very cost efficient.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is sufficient thought going into the operational trajectory that drones/UAV are pushing us.
  5. I don't think anyone is talking about arming it. And even if it is, the complexity of the software required for autonomous target acquisition, especially in a counter-insurgency role, isn't worth thinking about.

Until we have artificial intelligence, there is no way a computer will be left to "pull the trigger". That concept is purely science fiction.
  6. Would be useful on the anti-piracy patrol off Somalia: nice easy target acquisition, no witnesses, no serviceman to be hauled in front of a court....
    • Like Like x 2
  7. We all know where this is leading, right?;-)

8. A bodybuilder with some shit jokes??
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I see what you did there.
  10. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

Oh but they are, X-47 is an armed offensive air system demonstrator.
  11. That will make the world very strange place indeed.
  12. Designating a target for the auto pilot to strike is a world away from letting it loose with it's own logic system...
  13. A bit like Iain M Bank's Culture novels?
  14. i know your joking right cos AI has been around since um the early 90's at least, i rember having to go and sit through the most boring 4 hours of my life at the birmingham nec where microshite were demonstrating and giving a lecture on there AI called CAL, it was already capable of simple though proceses, video games have been using logic based AI for 2 decades (no longer are you enemies just bits of pre programed code, now there actually moving wihtin set perameters forthemsleves in reaction to what you do (thats how come they can fight back so well)

all this is is taking one of the better AI platforms like dancer (flight sim AI) and modifying it for purpose, changing things from driving a scren display to flying an aircraft (oddley very similar in terms of control code) and then changing the targeting perameters, hell people were playing with autonamous drone as far back as the 50's so far mostly with severe casualties leadign the the project getting scrapped, like the autonomous sentry gun wich used a PIR sensor/tracker to drive where it pointed and how long it fired for, which inadvertantly suffered a detector malfunction and killed the people runnign the project (its where the people in aliens got the idea of the gun from)

hopefully the drones will at least be able to be human controled for live fire missions wiht the insturments on board being able ot determin biometricaly if its really the target...