US nearly bought the A2...

... according to an ex-Reg Captain I was speaking to recently.

Anyone else heard this?

BB

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
NEVER!!!

The septic chain of command would never have let it happen.

Edited to add: Do the septics use anything foreign?

Bravo_Bravo said:

Anyone else heard this?

BB
You talk some shit. But it must have been nice for you to have a chat with the friendly officer.

ubuntu said:
Bravo_Bravo said:

Anyone else heard this?

BB
You talk some shit. But it must have been nice for you to have a chat with the friendly officer.
Of course it was, he was not in the OTC. His last post was Catterick ( the place the Army trains infantry soldiers. )

Now toddle off. nybody would think you where trying to get a reputation as some kind of internet hard man.

Biped said:

81mm is Brit, AV8-B made under licence... must be others.

ugly

LE
No doubt they have a handful for testing in the same way as we do! The LSW rumour was started on here as the USMC were looking to trial a mag fed lmg. Its all pish anyway!

Biped said:
NEVER!!!

The septic chain of command would never have let it happen.

the light gun
the minimi
the Carl Gustav 84mm
BAE 155mm howitzer
UH72 Lakota
theMerlin
To name but a few

Bravo_Bravo said:
ubuntu said:
Bravo_Bravo said:

Anyone else heard this?

BB
Of course it was, he was not in the OTC. His last post was Catterick ( the place the Army trains infantry soldiers. )

Now toddle off. nybody would think you where trying to get a reputation as some kind of internet hard man.
button it fuckwit, away you go and pretend to be an int asset.

"button it fuckwit"

I had no idea anyone outside of comics actually spoke like that.

Not very bright, are you?

:D

Anyway, back OT.

The guy was sayig that Uncle Sam was very close to buying it until they read the RM reports about initial reliability - IIRC caused by an incorrect lubrication and cleaning regime?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, I take it all back - I thought they were US-only buyers

The USMC are binning Humvees and getting Pinzgauers instead. I also heard because of the amount they would need and servicing etc, they bought the company so technically they're not foreign (to the yanks) any more.

ugly

LE
They tend to negotiate for US build facilities once the weapon has won the contract as part of the deal! See Beretta 93 for proof.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
We liked it so much, we bought the company . . .

FNUSNU said:
The USMC are binning Humvees and getting Pinzgauers instead. I also heard because of the amount they would need and servicing etc, they bought the company so technically they're not foreign (to the yanks) any more.
The 10th Mountain Div use Landrovers

S

swampmonster

Bravo_Bravo said:
Anyway, back OT.

The guy was sayig that Uncle Sam was very close to buying it until they read the RM reports about initial reliability - IIRC caused by an incorrect lubrication and cleaning regime?
Bravo mate they have :

A version of the Charlie G 84mm

the 105 light gun

the 240B a version of the GPMG

the SAW a version of the FN MINIMI

and a few more......

the yanks use wpns from all over the place so why should they not have though of the A2..it a bloody fine wpn :)